Not a member yet? Why not Sign up today
Create an account  

• 7 Vote(s) - 4.86 Average

Advanced aerial AI (version 5.32)

Updated the OP with version 2.8, which uses more aggressive means to avoid the minimum and maximum altitudes specified in the terrain avoidance settings, and fixes several problems in the terrain avoidance code. This should fix the terrain problems experience by Hypersycos. I'm much happier with terrain handling now.

'Tis fixed indeed, I can now take my plane through cold loch, <3.

The combat issue remains the same though.
Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
~~Terry Pratchett

Can you attach the blueprint? I'm not certain what could be causing the "fly away upside down" behavior.

Here 'tis

Attached Files
.blueprint   MissileJet.blueprint (Size: 127.88 KB / Downloads: 78)
Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
~~Terry Pratchett

I see the problem. Not enough ailerons. There just wasn't enough power in the existing ailerons to roll the plane back up. I added more and it turned just fine. Also the AbortRunDistance was set way too low, it was never triggering so it would never try to escape the attack run. You may also want to increase AttackRunDistance a bit as it's a big plane, but this is optional.

Also remember that ailerons have more leverage the farther out they are on the wings. You may want to move your ailerons to the wingtips instead of the tail.

Alright, thank you, I'll do that. I honestly had no idea where ailerons were meant to go, so I just put them on the tail there so that in the armored version it looks like a normal plane, and the armor is actually doing something.
~~Terry Pratchett

Your aerial AI script is awesome, I'm having some difficulties tho.
I have created a helicopter/airship and I can't seem to go foreword with thrusters when line 63 of the script says true "UsePropulsionBalancing = true"
I was wondering if someone could help.
[Image: From_The_Depths%202015-08-23%2019-27-17-...asblue.jpg]

If it doesn't work, don't use propulsion balancing is all I can say for the moment. It's a bit of Nick's code that may or may not work depending on your design. Send me the blueprint if you'd like me to take a closer look, I might be able to learn more about why it's not working in your case.

Here is the blueprint.

Attached Files
.blueprint   Heavy_Attack_Copter.blueprint (Size: 135.69 KB / Downloads: 62)

Ah yes. The reason that propulsion balancing doesn't use the thruster is because it is very far from the the center of mass. You can either adjust the thruster to be closer to the center of mass, adjust weight to move the center of mass behind the center of propulsion, or add additional thrusters such that the center of propulsion is closer to the center of mass. All of these things are good to do whether you are using propulsion balancing or not, as they will greatly enhance maneuverability.