Not a member yet? Why not Sign up today
Create an account  

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Detection proposals

I don't think detection presently justifies its difficulty--it is easy to get wrong, but doesn't offer many interesting tradeoffs. Passive detectors are near-useless because stealth is impossible. 360-degree radars and radar trackers are dominated by 360-degree cameras and laser rangefinders because visual signature almost always exceeds radar signature. Since range and precision are correlated moving from 360 degree sensors to trackers, if you can see something you can usually precisely lock it.

I should note that enabling true stealth is a deliberate non-goal, as I don't think FtD's AI/battle resolution will be able to handle it in the foreseeable future. I do, however, think that having a low signature should be more useful against direct-fire weapons.

My core proposals are the following:
- Restructure range/precision of sensor types. Radar has the longest range except against particularly hot or stealthy targets but has poor angular resolution. IR is a mid-range sensor with respectable angular resolution but a weakness against cool targets. Visual is the most precise system with the shortest range, but is also more reliable against low-observable vehicles.
- Remove range advantages for trackers, and possibly give them a modest range penalty.
- The rangefinder is cool but underwhelming outside of the narrow niche of ranging smoked targets with low radar cross-section. I think the largest sensors should be comparatively useful--I'd make it a limited-arc tracker with top-line performance, if possible.
- Give missile lock a chance of succeeding against targets with a distance-modified signature <200m, to make it less binary. (Again, probably a single roll per missile setting a threshold from 0-N00m.)
- Make naval propellers/underwater dediblades increase sonar signature, so passive sonar is more useful.
- Mask below-water IR sources.

My wishlist (mostly because I think they are more demanding of dev time):
- Expand/tune countermeasures:
+ Remove smoke's effect in trackers, aside from the laser rangefinder. Instead, have it apply a consistent offset to visual detection, as with laser designators, under the logic that you can see the smoke cloud but can't tell exactly where the target is within it. (I think this is from FourGreenFields on Discord, but couldn't find the posts to confirm.) I might also apply this to IR with diminished effect.
+ Make chaff do the same for radar--apply a detection/missile guidance offset based on signature and chaff consumption. Right now chaff seems too binary--it either makes you invisible to radar or it does very little.
+ Make the radar decoy act as a radar jammer, blocking radar detection on nearby vehicles based on angular distance/relative signature, at the cost of a substantial passive radar signature. Operation vs. missiles would be unaffected--it's too much to ask people to deploy separate anti-radiation missiles, and for realism purposes this mimics home-on-jam behavior.
- Add some multi-block detection systems--high-end radars, in particular.
- Expand night fighting--either longer nights in campaign or an option of whether to fight a day/night battle, spotlights counter the reduction to visual signature.
- An LWC option for minimum detection accuracy for fire.
- An option for missiles to hold fire until they have a lock.

If there's any dev interest in this I'd be happy to work on some concrete numbers, and possibly mod some proposals for testing if I can get my employer's permission.
Allr andask.

Messages In This Thread
Detection proposals - by Blothorn - 2019-08-20, 08:58 PM
RE: Detection proposals - by Skyer - 2019-08-20, 09:07 PM
RE: Detection proposals - by Nick Smart - 2019-08-20, 09:33 PM
RE: Detection proposals - by Blothorn - 2019-08-20, 09:34 PM
RE: Detection proposals - by Otharious - 2019-08-21, 08:04 AM
RE: Detection proposals - by Skullsploder - 2019-08-21, 09:09 AM
RE: Detection proposals - by DelsGaming - 2019-08-21, 10:09 AM
RE: Detection proposals - by Finnwolf88 - 2019-08-21, 12:03 PM
RE: Detection proposals - by Blothorn - 2019-08-21, 06:15 PM
RE: Detection proposals - by Finnwolf88 - 2019-08-21, 06:56 PM