Not a member yet? Why not Sign up today
Create an account  

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Prototyping a new main menu interface

Hello. I'm prototyping a new main menu interface that is simpler and directly new players to tutorial content (getting updated) and designer

It has four tabs and looks like this

[Image: oyTHKfO.jpg]

[Image: VMKcg4n.jpg]

[Image: 4qfWkFL.jpg]

[Image: ThEj1fm.jpg]

it no longer has these options
[Image: zL1yFFG.png]

or this panel

[Image: 6MDTvlX.png]

The rest of the functionality is in there, just rearranged onto different tabs.

What do you think?
Reviewed FtD on steam yet? It's the #1 thing you can do to help FtD (and future games by Brilliant Skies!), so please take the time!
Bug tracker - view, "upvote", comment on and add all bugs here.
Request tracker - request new features here
support - private portal to service desk

Looks pretty good.
Singleplayer tab is a little wordy. IMO controls should be given elsewhere.
Maybe the descriptions can be shortened and put in a tooltip that appears when hovering over the option

Well, it does fit with the new UI. It looks a bit... crude compared to the previous main menu though, but it's the functionality that counts!

Since the second pic is the singleplayer and campaign menu, I cannot fail to mention that the campaign and campaign editor needs a lot of work. It's woefully obsolete and underdeveloped, and should enjoy much, much greater priority than UI tinkering. I don't want to be the complainer here but, campaign improvements is long overdue and currently one of FtD's major negative points.

I disagree that campaign changes are of greater importance than the UI. More customers "bounce" off the UI and stop playing before they learn to enjoy the game than "bounce" of the technicalities of the map editor or campaign. That make sense?
Reviewed FtD on steam yet? It's the #1 thing you can do to help FtD (and future games by Brilliant Skies!), so please take the time!

(2019-06-14, 10:36 AM)gxy Wrote: Looks pretty good.
Singleplayer tab is a little wordy. IMO controls should be given elsewhere.
Maybe the descriptions can be shortened and put in a tooltip that appears when hovering over the option

I might add a couple of icons to some of the buttons to make it a little less simplistic, but the goal is to have fewer distractions and better categorise the content. The commands could be removed from the description yes.

To be honest, I think the top menu should have special UI, not common UI.

In My opinion, common UI should plane and humble, because most important content of this game is constructs.
However in case of the main menu, everything is important and affect impression.
I afraid quiet UI gives quiet impression of whole of the game.

(2019-06-14, 02:14 PM)Nick Smart Wrote: I disagree that campaign changes are of greater importance than the UI. More customers "bounce" off the UI and stop playing before they learn to enjoy the game than "bounce" of the technicalities of the map editor or campaign. That make sense?

It does in terms of new players, yes. I was speaking more from the perspective of old-time FtD'ers and fans of voxel games.

But yeah, new customers is important too if the game is to survive. You're the boss, do what you think is best.

IMO, UI's if anything is more than 3 clicks then it "could be " refined. Having said this UI's dont do much for me, I click and get to what I need, but its mostly the actual content. Having said that too, as long as the UI and accessibility is not stupid nonsense like X4 Foundations, then its fine no need to overthink things Big Grin .

From your screen shots I think its fine, even our current one I think is fine too Smile

I'm eager to see the refined UI once it's finished. After you polish up the main menu UI, will you also be making changes to other UIs such as the one in the editor?

[Image: oBKhVs3.png]

If you notice on the right, it feels like the buttons and text could be refined where having a scroll bar shouldn't be required. This pops up on a lot of the menus.

Note: Also, in regards to concerns about the campaign designs, we have a team that will be working to fix those up here soon enough, myself included will be looking into some designs and trying to flesh out the rest of the remaining lore.
Terrus Asunder, my custom campaign

Achievement Unlocked: Collateral Purger (Ban everyone on the forums by purging a spambot.)

It seems quite alright as a change.

But if I'm totally honest, to me the ui always felt as a bit of a missfit in the theme of the game - it feels a bit disjointed from the feel and style from the game as a whole. The new style isn't much different from the old style in that regard, despite usability improvements (hopefully :p ). English is not my first or second language, and it's a gut feeling so it's hard to explain this correctly.

I also think the UI is very important. I can get around clunky or meaty UI design in 4X games and whatnot, and from the depths is like second nature to me right now - but it is still the means of interaction with the game, so it's a very important thing, not only aesthetically!

to be honest though, I also agree with Crimeanchimeara. The campaign is the second chief playing mode next to the designer (and with that, the tourney scene) - and it's not changed very much from the static world tile bashing it was years ago. There 's a whole groundwork for interactions with the faction, strategic AI decisions, roaming fleets, ...

I think, to put it shortly, that it could be waaay more than it is now. Even thoug the campaign is currently sill one of my favourite playmodes.

I also have a soft spot for the adventure mode though ... I hope that won't be forgotten? It was a really nice novelty, but I hope it will get some love and refinements too.

Edit: sorry for straying off topic!
Imperium Age of Sail Campaign Custom Campaign Dev Idea -> Check it out here!

[Image: 88AAC0598B7E00385C41259D384B95EE9CCBB447]