Not a member yet? Why not Sign up today
Create an account  

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Why is my ships not going at full thrust

My ship when manually driven can go at a top speed of 40 knots. I don't have any skill points added, so no boost or whatever. BUT when AI controls it, it have 'current drive: 0.63" or something and makes only up to 30 knots. Like why?!
What is the point. I can't find a way to turn this "feature" off. Who thought it was a good idea. Why would I set my propulsion to full power and have that many propellers if I didn't want the speed!? Clearly I want that speed but the AI goes and derp around going slow af.
I searched everywhere. I turned off PIDs. I replaced the props. I replaced the AI core. But it still happens.

And it also likes to make half my propellers move backwards no matter how I set its drive factors. I have 3 on a spinblock so I can angle the propeller shaft and stop wheelies. However the AI gets confused and make them go backwards, going against my other propellers. The drive factor does nothing. What's the point of drive factor if it won't freaking reverse the AI movement command?!

Do anyone have a solution to this. I don't expect much of a response since forums is still as dead as ever. But its desperation, my frustration have peaked and I need help.

EDIT: The AI also refuses to turn. When I manually turn the ship, the AI completely stops unless I press U.
[Image: fvn8BOX.gif] [Image: RFSgkaw.gif]

Please post the blueprint first of all, so people can look at it.

First, check your translational movement settings on your props, make sure it stays at 1.0. There's a bug that keeps resetting translational movement to random numbers, especially when there's plenty of propulsion components involved. If this is the case, add a breadboard that links AI forward/backward inputs to main drive.

If that's not the issue, then it's just malfunctioning AI. I had the same issue with a sub of mine, the AI never used full power and crept along at half speed all the time. To fix this, I used ACBs that set the main drive to 1.0 if vehicle speed goes over 2.5 m/s, with a slave ACB that checks if forward movement input is received from the AI. This basically force the ship to go at full speed but still leaving some leeway below 2.5 m/s for slow manoeuvres. It would switch back to standard AI propulsion input below 2.5 m/s or when the AI stops or go backwards.

As for backward spinning props, set their forwards/backwards AI translational movement to -1.0 instead of 1.0, basically reversing them under AI control. See if that helps.

I actually solved the issue with my original ship like several hours later. I thought I edited that in in my OP but guess it didn't go through? I don't know.
All I did was turn on the yaw PID and somehow that fixed all the issues.
However my current ship don't work even when I tried that 'fix.'

The ship refuse to go full speed and turns off propellers to move when I press U and I. I added the ACB and it stopped the slow creeping forward to a certain degree, however the ship still refuse to properly turn without stopping entirely. And its still not actually full speed, just faster than it was before. I replaced the AI so many times I lost count.

And here is BP, even though there is nothing special about the settings whatsoever. Its settings that worked on previous ships. Ship is still incomplete so a bit unstable and whatnot.

Attached Files
.blueprint   Astarte-class torpedo boat.blueprint (Size: 203.1 KB / Downloads: 3)

You've got the 'ideal pitch' in the AI manoeuvre tab set to 0. Set it to something like 10 and your problems should be over. (tested with your craft)

As for the prop stopping when you take over control, that has been default behaviour for as long as i can remember - the AI gives no movement commands during player move input.

I did a quick-and-dirty ACB fix so the AI uses max propulsion, although it uses main drive. See if it helps, the ACBs are placed on the stern.

The problem with this fix is that you have to use a complex controller, otherwise the ACB settings and player inputs will conflict (with a complex controller, the player uses primary stim drive so main drive is free for AI/ACB usage). Ordinary rudders don't seem to work with complex controllers anymore so you'll have to use spinblocked custom rudders.

Nice ship BTW.

.blueprint   Astarte-class torpedo boat_fix.blueprint (Size: 203.8 KB / Downloads: 3)

EDIT: I also set idle distance to 0 so the ship would stay put, I forgot to change it back.

Thank you it works. Although I noticed the reverse ACB. Does that mean the ship can't reverse? Not a major problem though.

"As for the prop stopping when you take over control, that has been default behaviour for as long as i can remember - the AI gives no movement commands during player move input."
I remember the exact opposite. To me it seems like it only does this after AI update. I remember I could make emergency turns for the AI. I frequently tests my ships on long voyages in designer mode. And when there's a island, I usually am the one to manually make adjustments.
I could be remembering wrong, but as long this is 'intended' then I will not fuss over it. The problem is when I can't tell what is even a feature.

The ship should still be able to reverse, at least my sub does that use the same ACB setup. The ship just won't use main drive for reverse, if main drive is zero, the AI uses it's usual forward/backward inputs.

The speed check ACB is actually not that important, I added that to my sub because it uses a sixaxis manoeuvre routine. I don't want main drive to kick in at low speeds so that the AI can still do fine propulsion adjustments to "hover" in place when stationary.

(2019-06-13, 05:47 AM)afjklol Wrote: I remember I could make emergency turns for the AI. I frequently tests my ships on long voyages in designer mode. And when there's a island, I usually am the one to manually make adjustments.
I could be remembering wrong, but as long this is 'intended' then I will not fuss over it. The problem is when I can't tell what is even a feature.

It's still supposed to be like that, I regularly make manual adjustments to the AI's course, especially in battle. The AI usually kicks back in as soon as I leave the controls alone. It's the same for aircraft and land vehicles.