Not a member yet? Why not Sign up today
Create an account  

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

So FTD may have bricked my graphics card.

I'm usually the last person to make angry threads about bugs in games, but just yesterday, I opened up FTD. I hadn't played in a while, but I felt like building something so I opened it up and started on a new ship. However, when I tried to load a subconstruct I'd made a while ago, my whole computer instantly hard crashed, total shutdown. At first, I was just annoyed that my work was now gone, and wondering what could have caused it. However, when I turned my computer back on, the monitor stayed dark, though the rest of the computer seemed to be working. After examining inside the box, the graphics card's fans were not turning. I unplugged the graphics card and hooked the monitor cable up to the integrated graphics, and then it started up just fine.

My graphics card, however, seems to now be useless. It's LEDs come on, but it doesn't function. I have no idea what's wrong with it. If I find out, or manage to get it working, I'll let you know. It's possible it was just a coincidence, but this is a pretty new card that has been working perfectly so far, and then when I went to play FTD, my computer suddenly hard crashes and it's now useless.
A great nation is not a nation that rules the world. A great nation is a nation that realizes they don't have to.

Witch gpu are u using?

Maybe it had collected a lot dust inside?
(That is the most likely reason for dead Gpus)
like's strange music Tongue

Have you been able to look though the log files related to the crash?
-they should shed some light on it's cause, if it was FTDs, simple enough, but if its not FTDs there could still be an issue that might reoccur.

In addition, can you provide information on the GPU, CPU, and Motherboard models? 

Finally, would you be able to post the particular BP you were working on, and/or give us a rough idea of it's size and date of creation?
-If it was especially large, or particularly old I'd suspect the game more, but if it was more 'normal' there, again, may be something else going on.
-Do not bring forth an argument as fact that can be disproven with a 10 minute Google search.

The GPU had hardly any dust, it's a pretty new AMD card, definitely not a dust or wear problem. If it was the cards fault, it was a manufacturing defect. CPU is an intel pentium. I'm not a computer expert, I can barely keep even the most basic things about them straight, and I certainly don't know how to navigate windows 10's horrific mass of obfuscating menus to find info like crash logs, all I know is that I was playing FTD, had just started on a modestly-sized craft, loaded in an old paddle wheel construct I had messed around with earlier, and at that very instant my whole computer shut down and then my graphics card was ruined.

As for the blueprint, the main one I was working on was brand new and had very few blocks. There is no BP of it because I hadn't saved it before the crash. The subconstruct was quite old, but not very large. It was just a bunch of paddles with a metal structure around them, nothing complicated.
A great nation is not a nation that rules the world. A great nation is a nation that realizes they don't have to.

(2019-06-05, 03:53 AM)Unhinged mechanic Wrote: The GPU had hardly any dust, it's a pretty new AMD card, definitely not a dust or wear problem. If it was the cards fault, it was a manufacturing defect. CPU is an intel pentium. I'm not a computer expert, I can barely keep even the most basic things about them straight, and I certainly don't know how to navigate windows 10's horrific mass of obfuscating menus to find info like crash logs, all I know is that I was playing FTD, had just started on a modestly-sized craft, loaded in an old paddle wheel construct I had messed around with earlier, and at that very instant my whole computer shut down and then my graphics card was ruined.

As for the blueprint, the main one I was working on was brand new and had very few blocks. There is no BP of it because I hadn't saved it before the crash. The subconstruct was quite old, but not very large. It was just a bunch of paddles with a metal structure around them, nothing complicated.

In general you couldn't brick modern computers through software even if you tried(especially not using standard APIs).
I'm betting the house on your card being done because the load triggered an underlying hardware problem. Some people stress test new toys for hours/days specifically because it can trigger errors not seen in everyday use.