Not a member yet? Why not Sign up today
Create an account  

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

So if you could only pre-fab 3-5 engines....

What would they be?  

Personally I think I'd save:
1) One small-medium engine with good efficiency  (My pick: The 'mini' BlueLine)

2) One good 'workhorse' engine that is decent across a good range of RPM  (The 'piped Reac-thor' By Kuramafox comes to mind)

3) One decent non-extendable 'high power' engine.  Fuel efficiency not SUPER important, but not an injector based engine lol

Maker of moderately good: CRAM, APS, and engines.  

I almost never prefab engines, I always build from scratch Big Grin, So I dunnow Big Grin
There is always a weak-spot if you search Hard enough.

If you fire enough AP at that shield, at some point you're going to come through.

There is no "best" I wouldn't even say there is anything universally good, Good is subjective, I find everything bad even if it's in theory good against this or that.

(2019-05-17, 10:39 PM)Skyer Wrote: I almost never prefab  engines, I always build from scratch Big Grin, So I dunnow Big Grin

The idea of building any inline turbo except the simplest inline turbo from scratch is..... ugh.

Maker of moderately good: CRAM, APS, and engines.  

I'm never seeking for that 200% efficiency engines that basically disobey the laws of thermodynamics, for me there is a point of good enough that I'm seeking and when you build new engines from scratch often you improve building skill rather quickly. Since I started playing FtD in 2014/15 I have never directly used something from anothers design in my design, IE use engine/gun of someone else, I always build things myself and almost each ship has unique everything.
I barely ever download others designs for the purpose of looking at them, most of the designs I downloaded are to help others.
There is always a weak-spot if you search Hard enough.

If you fire enough AP at that shield, at some point you're going to come through.

There is no "best" I wouldn't even say there is anything universally good, Good is subjective, I find everything bad even if it's in theory good against this or that.

If I can make the engine compartment 5x5xX then there's rarely any reason not to prefab a front/middle/end of an extendable design and just scale to fit the space/desired output.  For everything else the craft are generally smaller with engine compartments 2-4 blocks high.  At that point you may be able to get away with a truncated extendable prefab, but i've gotten better performance out of custom builds and a few standard form-factors.
-Do not bring forth an argument as fact that can be disproven with a 10 minute Google search.

I usually build my own engines and then save them as prefabs in different variants. Multiple variants does mean that I have quite a few prefabs by now. If I do cut down to engines only used in current blueprints of mine, then it should be only around 3-5. Steam engines tend to be custom built for each blueprint though.

But yeah, all my larger ships have exactly 3 engines, albeit of different type. An RTG-charged, battery powered electric motor used for propulsion, a large steam engine that's only active in combat to power shields and LAMS, and a backup fuel engine that solely acts as a generator to keep batteries charged up in cases where a lot of hits on shields, or LAMS overuse, drains too much from the steam engine.

In effect, my ships are "hybrids". I therefore find very few letters from Greenpeace in fleet HQ's complaints box.

Does it count as a slot if I have a mirror version of an asymmetrical engine?

I have one good solid 5xNx5 inline turbo duplex engine prefabbed across ten slots. Those slots are front end, front repeating segment, middle, back repeating segment, and back, and left-side and right-side versions thereof. If I need a smaller engine I usually just build one of those common 3x3 injector engines where every cylinder is connected to exactly one injector and to exactly one exhaust, usually four-way, or I build a custom smaller injector engine to fit the space I have.

(2019-05-20, 10:21 AM)CrimeanChimera Wrote: I usually build my own engines and then save them as prefabs in different variants. Multiple variants does mean that I have quite a few prefabs by now. If I do cut down to engines only used in current blueprints of mine, then it should be only around 3-5. Steam engines tend to be custom built for each blueprint though.

But yeah, all my larger ships have exactly 3 engines, albeit of different type. An RTG-charged, battery powered electric motor used for propulsion, a large steam engine that's only active in combat to power shields and LAMS, and a backup fuel engine that solely acts as a generator to keep batteries charged up in cases where a lot of hits on shields, or LAMS overuse, drains too much from the steam engine.

In effect, my ships are "hybrids". I therefore find very few letters from Greenpeace in fleet HQ's complaints box.

I mean, the Mercrian Navy just doesn't put out a complaints box Smile
-Do not bring forth an argument as fact that can be disproven with a 10 minute Google search.