Not a member yet? Why not Sign up today
Create an account  

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Plans for this week (commencing 6th May)

At this moment I'm working on multi-threading a whole bunch of the complex vehicle code.
This is going well. All of the engine code / propulsion code/ controllable module code / resource gathering code has been pushed into a range of extra threads
This should increase the frame rate of the game quite a bit when complex large vehicles are in use.

Over the rest of the week I'll be seeing what else can be pushed into other threads, and continuing to refine the UI and improve the tutorials content.

I think it would be possible, and it would certainly be desirable, to move the projectile code to another thread- but we will see how it goes!
Reviewed FtD on steam yet? It's the #1 thing you can do to help FtD (and future games by Brilliant Skies!), so please take the time!
Bug tracker - view, "upvote", comment on and add all bugs here.
Request tracker - request new features here
support - private portal to service desk

Multithreading will help a lot! Especially for those of us that go in packing aircraft carriers with increased/unlimited battle size.

Are there any forthcoming plans for some campaign/strategic AI improvements? It's the one part of the game that's severely lacking for quite a while now. It's all nice being able to build stuff in detail but, we want to be able to put those creations to use in a decent gameplay environment as well.

A "respawn" or "spawn new vehicle" event with some additional conditions will already make a big difference for custom campaign builders. With it, we can set up fortress/base respawns in such a manner as to make the strategic AI appear more dynamic, as if they're actually rebuilding lost infrastructure or even build new stuff.

An example of such a condition and event: If a tile with a resource zone belongs to faction A, and there's no fortress present in the tile for X amount of time, then spawn/respawn a resource gathering fortress belonging to faction A - this will make it appear as if faction A built a new fortress/rebuilt their previously destroyed fortress in the area.

I actually tinkered with something of the sort in my own custom campaign but, the current "spawn" event can only spawn an existing fleet once, you cannot loop it or spawn a vehicle from file. Unless I missed something?

Multithreading Nice Smile
Not sure how much my I3-2120 can take use of it, but it's doing pretty well considering I have build a 50k block Ship without considering suicide because of lag

(2019-05-06, 03:24 PM)CrimeanChimera Wrote: A "respawn" or "spawn new vehicle" event with some additional conditions will already make a big difference for custom campaign builders. With it, we can set up fortress/base respawns in such a manner as to make the strategic AI appear more dynamic, as if they're actually rebuilding lost infrastructure or even build new stuff.

An example of such a condition and event: If a tile with a resource zone belongs to faction A, and there's no fortress present in the tile for X amount of time, then spawn/respawn a resource gathering fortress belonging to faction A - this will make it appear as if faction A built a new fortress/rebuilt their previously destroyed fortress in the area.

I actually tinkered with something of the sort in my own custom campaign but, the current "spawn" event can only spawn an existing fleet once, you cannot loop it or spawn a vehicle from file. Unless I missed something?

I think that strategic will have to wait until this QOL improvements batch is done
There is always a weak-spot if you search Hard enough.

If you fire enough AP at that shield, at some point you're going to come through.

There is no "best" I wouldn't even say there is anything universally good, Good is subjective, I find everything bad even if it's in theory good against this or that.

HOOAH!!!  now we can unleash the full power of our core(s) Smile
-Do not bring forth an argument as fact that can be disproven with a 10 minute Google search.

So this is going very well now..

Power creation / usage / propulsion / controllable blocks all shifted off main thread

Aiming and firing of weapons shifted off main thread

Projectiles and damage shifted off main thread (working through this now)

Detection (which was about half on / half off) now shifted off main thread

AI routines will be shifted off main thread.

Gridcasting now multithreadable (which is supporting the shift of projectiles off the main thread) but will have other uses as well.

Still working through the bugs but I expect when this is done that'll be about half of the code moved.

Only large time sync is the chunk mesh creation / updates and I think I should be able to largely shift that as well.
Reviewed FtD on steam yet? It's the #1 thing you can do to help FtD (and future games by Brilliant Skies!), so please take the time!
Bug tracker - view, "upvote", comment on and add all bugs here.
Request tracker - request new features here
support - private portal to service desk

\o/ Happiness is optimization! I was just thinking to myself as the game randomly froze for .25 seconds every few moments (when I would pan past certain complicated portions of the boat it seemed) it would be awesome when the QoL and optimization stuff started happening. Felt like heresy to ask for so much in the midst of a feature addition round, you know? Here you are granting my wish without me even voicing it, though. Kudos! I gave up on other "in development" games ages ago, but your game has continuously improved and brought me great joy. The final component will be it being optimized enough to do some of the more absurd naval battles I had in mind. More on that (for anyone still actually reading by this point) below.

Naval Battles
Sometimes lasers, shielding, missile counters, torpedo counters, and the myriad of other advanced 'sci-fi' features just gets me down. It's a 20+ hour investment to make any 100m ship if you're going full monty... that's a lot, you know? Rather, I go back to ww2 thinking. Limited missiles (usually fewer than 15 missiles on a whole ship) and very limited torpedoes (12 is a destroyer level of torpedo power for my purposes) and just build something basic with some guns on it. No lams. No shields. No lasers. No flight. Hell, no Lua even... just a straight up fist fight the basic way. Ship builds only take a couple hours at that rate, but then I run into the problem of "cant battle more than a few ships at once or bad things happen..." and we've now arrived back at the origin of this post. Grats for managing to read the whole, pointless thing!
[Image: 3bb7830d881f78fa04c88990d560db32bb586b4c_full.jpg] Someone tell me why the hell I had to draw this to explain this: |-. (The crap at the top is a random doodle and unrelated)

(2019-05-10, 12:22 AM)actionbastard Wrote: Naval Battles
Sometimes lasers, shielding, missile counters, torpedo counters, and the myriad of other advanced 'sci-fi' features just gets me down.  It's a 20+ hour investment to make any 100m ship if you're going full monty... that's a lot, you know?  Rather, I go back to ww2 thinking.  Limited missiles (usually fewer than 15 missiles on a whole ship) and very limited torpedoes (12 is a destroyer level of torpedo power for my purposes) and just build something basic with some guns on it.  No lams.  No shields.  No lasers.  No flight.  Hell, no Lua even... just a straight up fist fight the basic way.  Ship builds only take a couple hours at that rate, but then I run into the problem of "cant battle more than a few ships at once or bad things happen..." and we've now arrived back at the origin of this post.  Grats for managing to read the whole, pointless thing!

Well here is a thing, there is a limit how well Nick can optimize the game before the engine goes et tu Unity and game isnt really made for that large scale combat you are imagining.

So in all aspects, its better to have battles happening over time, as ships enter the battle in smaller groups, kill each other and then another wave. You can really play with this as you can for example drag the alpha damage dealers at the start to deal as much damage as possible. Then once they get killed, you could have ordered a battleship and fighters to go next. 

If everything goes in, in a massive melee aside from friendly fire accidents, self collisions are more likely and that all vessels will simply focus down on a single target instead of having a slew of opponents to deal with so unless you spray the enemy fleet with torpedoes and missiles you are bound to see how enemy units or yours simply get shredded, their defences overpowered and disappear under a rainbow of projectiles. And its way worse on the AI faction side since it cannot micro its units to not hit each other, it spawns in close formations so in a large scale battle, by default the scales are tipped in players favour.

I'm very excited for the possibilities,as I have a very high end machine and am heavily restricted on my CPU.

Multithreading will hopefully allow an additional ship or two in combat Smile
Grav rams are like the Looney Toons of shell types... Absolutely hilarious in short bursts.

Any updates on this? Looking forward to when these changes go live!
Imperium Age of Sail Campaign Custom Campaign Dev Idea -> Check it out here!

[Image: 32DA9A8EECC76926A3CDAA803283F5FCC3314BBA]