Not a member yet? Why not Sign up today
Create an account  

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Concept: steam powered stuff

The steam engine is glorious, but not hugely useful.
How can we make it more useful and expand the range of vehicles in the game?
Once concept is steam powered CRAMS. A steam powered CRAM could "pack" faster(due to the high pressure from the steam). Or the steam could be used to fire the shell- perhaps this means the shell is not visible to munition warners, or perhaps it means the the CRAM can reload faster. 

Perhaps steam pressure could be used directly for a sort of turning jet system for the vehicle (allowing above and below water propulsion similar to the ion thruster but using steam pressure alone)

Perhaps it could be used in a melee weapon context (blasting steam at your opponent)

Can you think of anything else, and what would you most like to see?
Reviewed FtD on steam yet? It's the #1 thing you can do to help FtD (and future games by Brilliant Skies!), so please take the time!
Bug tracker - view, "upvote", comment on and add all bugs here.
Request tracker - request new features here
support - private portal to service desk

I'm not sure steam powered weapons are a good idea, as one of the downsides to steam is its material consumption, giving steam more stuff to do would only increase this issue, furthermore I don't think cram should be the receiving weapon system to be steam powered. 

If you must make a system steam powered I would be interested in missles for ejection speed, or drills, done in a similar manner to props, but a tad more flexible. steam propulsion is a fine idea, I enjoyed props greatly.

I am not convinced that steam isn't entirely useful.
Steam props where a move in a decent direction, giving a decent speed boost to ships equipped with them, and steam engines are great at power density.

Instead of giving steam more stuff to do, I would look into saving the steam parts state when pulled in and out of play, even if its just engine rotation speed and boiler pressure, as the spool up time seems to be an unnecessary disadvantage. 

If you give more stuff for steam to do, a more advanced pressure management system would be needed, perhaps some method of reading pressure, storing steam in storage tanks and controllable valves, as to ensure the main seam engine gets enough steam to run the normal functions of the ship, additionally a reserve for steam props value on steam engines would be useful.
Builds things*
*Quality Varies

(2019-05-03, 07:02 PM)Albino Wrote: I'm not sure steam powered weapons are a good idea, as one of the downsides to steam is its material consumption, giving steam more stuff to do would only increase this issue, furthermore I don't think cram should be the receiving weapon system to be steam powered. 

If you must make a system steam powered I would be interested in missles for ejection speed, or drills, done in a similar manner to props, but a tad more flexible. steam propulsion is a fine idea, I enjoyed props greatly.

I am not convinced that steam isn't entirely useful.
Steam props where a move in a decent direction, giving a decent speed boost to ships equipped with them, and steam engines are great at power density.

Instead of giving steam more stuff to do, I would look into saving the steam parts state when pulled in and out of play, even if its just engine rotation speed and boiler pressure, as the spool up time seems to be an unnecessary disadvantage. 

If you give more stuff for steam to do, a more advanced pressure management system would be needed, perhaps some method of reading pressure, storing steam in storage tanks and controllable valves, as to ensure the main seam engine gets enough steam to run the normal functions of the ship, additionally a reserve for steam props value on steam engines would be useful.

Agreed - these are good suggestions. I'm hesitant to say that complicating the game further with niche uses for steam would be a good way forwards, and instead removing some of the nerfs against it would be better.

Large boilers are at a really big disadvantage because they take so long to heat up - typically on crafts, it's better to just spam tiny boilers. It would be nice to see boiler warm up times rebalanced (reduced for large ones - it can take minutes last time I checked, which is an eternity in a FtD fight when you need shields and weapons to get powered immediately) and also saved when crafts are pulled out of play/spawned in.

Steam is a little bit unwieldy to use for propellor shafts at the moment as everything has to be on the same axis as the crank. This is a particular issue if you change something about the weight balance of a ship and then need to move the propellor up or down - I've had to entirely re-design an engine before just to move a prop down by one block. It would be awesome if steam engines could get more parts (even just for propeller shafts) so they can be directed around more (like a 90° axis shifting gear for instance.) Also, steam crank and propellor shaft parts have to be placed the correct way around to work which is a pain - if that could be fixed it would make steam engines easier to use.

Add more options for changing behavious of steam engines like: Stovepipes (AKA Smokestacks), Air Ram Turbine (ART) (For faster spool up, but needs a fuel engine or electric engine to power the ART and will use more fuel until full power has been reached), Air Intakes in general (to have pipings that you *CAN* (not must) put out of the Engine citadel to the deck, which makes it more vunreable but gets an efficiency boost (Like on the stovepipe).

Make Kinetic power More consistent, not decrease as you use some, or at least give an indication of what the maximum power can be drawn from this gearbox(es).
There is always a weak-spot if you search Hard enough.

If you fire enough AP at that shield, at some point you're going to come through.

There is no "best" I wouldn't even say there is anything universally good, Good is subjective, I find everything bad even if it's in theory good against this or that.

Some changes about steam are coming, there are several steps for that overhaul:
- make it so large boilers do have more volume than small ones (per block), and huge boilers more volume than large ones.
- we'll add a way to tweak the efficiency and ramp-up, and it will be possible to do it more for large boilers, and even more for huge boilers. Meaning that it will be possible to obtain more efficiency for large, and even more for huge boilers, while reducing a bit the ramp-up for large and huge boilers (but it will still be better to have smaller volumes).
- pressure damage will also be added, and the turbines will not work the same (as currently they can have infinite pressure, which is a bit insane...).
- the last step should be (but it's not yet sure as we do not yet have a clear idea of how to do it) to provide ways to control more finely the pressure in the boilers/pipes and the rotation speed of the shaft/propeller (these controls may be under the for of inputs/actions for the ACB, and/or directly in the blocks themselves).

I haven't been able to work on it any sooner for personal reasons, but I will work on it this month.
I hope to be able to release the fist step for the end of this month (It is the one which should take the most time).

(2019-05-04, 10:07 AM)Gladyon Wrote: - the last step should be (but it's not yet sure as we do not yet have a clear idea of how to do it) to provide ways to control more finely the pressure in the boilers/pipes and the rotation speed of the shaft/propeller (these controls may be under the for of inputs/actions for the ACB, and/or directly in the blocks themselves).

I haven't used steam practically at all myself so I don't have any big opinions here, but my friend has setup a few engines and had a lot of trouble setting up ways to control them. Adding ACB options for this stuff would certainly help, but I think this is also a great use for the breadboard.

Direct underwater propulsion and CRAM propellant sound nice.
Faster CRAM packing might be a bit too convoluted/plain CRAMs weak if it's a noticeable boost.
Collisions are really destructive anyway so I think more melee weapons are wasted effort.

1 extra use could be speeding up pistons, dunno how practical that is though.

(2019-05-04, 04:26 PM)vyrus Wrote:
(2019-05-04, 10:07 AM)Gladyon Wrote: - the last step should be (but it's not yet sure as we do not yet have a clear idea of how to do it) to provide ways to control more finely the pressure in the boilers/pipes and the rotation speed of the shaft/propeller (these controls may be under the for of inputs/actions for the ACB, and/or directly in the blocks themselves).

I haven't used steam practically at all myself so I don't have any big opinions here, but my friend has setup a few engines and had a lot of trouble setting up ways to control them. Adding ACB options for this stuff would certainly help, but I think this is also a great use for the breadboard.

I agree that this is the ideal use for the breadboard. If it could read the status of the pressure you could use an equation (or even a PID) to control the pressure. If it could read the battery charge then you use it regulate the turbines to keep the batteries constant.