Not a member yet? Why not Sign up today
Create an account  

• 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average

Hey all, 

Really excited to release 2.4.5. It's been a really busy week since 2.4.4 and we've achieved a lot. The HUD in normal mode and build mode has been updated, there is a great new feature where pressing middle mouse brings up loads of extra HUD visuals and gives you a mouse with which to interact with them (build mode and normal mode).
We've added a way to save down user interfaces for later use (so you don't need to navigate back through menus to find them, or find blocks deep inside the vehicle)

v2.4.5 [Add] <ACB>: Strafe and hover commands added
v2.4.5 [Add] <Breadboard>: Added %, <, <=, >, >=, == and != operators to the maths evaluator
v2.4.5 [Add] <Breadboard>: Added input to get the last propulsion request to any drive
v2.4.5 [Add] <Breadboard>: Added input with various time related values to breadboard
v2.4.5 [Add] <Breadboard>: Added select manoeuvre component to AI breadboard
v2.4.5 [Add] <Breadboard>: Added target bearing input to primary target info of AI breadboard
v2.4.5 [Add] <Breadboard>: Breadboards maths evaluator can now use the same functions as other maths evaluators. Also added many extra functions to all maths evaluators
v2.4.5 [Add] <Electric engine>: Electric engines can now use complex controls
v2.4.5 [Add] <Tutorials>: You can now create a Build Guide in game by pressing Shift+Insert (re-mappable) when in build mode to capture the current vehicle as a state in the build guide. Holding the key for 3 seconds will wipe what you have captured. In the modding interface you can dump your capture into a build guide definition. Expect to see higher quality build guides in game shortly.
v2.4.5 [Add] <UI>: [REQ-113] A bunch of modal confirmation windows added to avoid exiting to the main menu by error
v2.4.5 [Add] <UI>: You can now 'collapse' a UI instead of closing it, it will be added to the HUD so that you can open it at any point in the future- very useful for keeping track of useful blocks and PIDs!
v2.4.5 [Change] <Blocks>: Ai tutorial and manual updated.
v2.4.5 [Change] <Blocks>: Inventory names reorganized and new descriptions given.
v2.4.5 [Change] <Building>: You can rename blocks in build mode using SHIFT + N. All blocks can now be renamed.
v2.4.5 [Change] <Controls>: Perma-build and Perma-remove are now remappable, but bound to CTRL+H instead of middle mouse (you can rebind it where-ever you like, but I have plans for middile mouse...)
v2.4.5 [Change] <Tutorials>: The basic controls tutorial has been updated and expanded to be a lot more useful.
v2.4.5 [Change] <UI>: A display of what the mouse buttons do is now displayed whenever an avatar item is selected
v2.4.5 [Change] <UI>: ACB UI tidied up a bit, to make it all display on screen at once (no scrolling needed)
v2.4.5 [Change] <UI>: Added block thumbnails to the inventory so you can search visually by appearance
v2.4.5 [Change] <UI>: Controlled weapon status glitches fixed- now displays correctly the number of missiles
v2.4.5 [Change] <UI>: HUD and inventory UI no longer use the one size fits all scaled UI system- now they fit on the screen and use your selected fontsize and button dimensions
v2.4.5 [Change] <UI>: Painted and renamed blocks will display their paint index and custom name in the tooltip now
v2.4.5 [Change] <UI>: Path View is no longer an avatar item, but an option which is toggleable from the HUD after pressing middle mouse button
v2.4.5 [Change] <UI>: Resource bar view remapped from R to CTRL+R but is now toggleable from the extended HUD mode after pressing middle mouse button
v2.4.5 [Change] <UI>: Ships wheel no longer displays the 'turn sail left/right commands', these are simply 'roll left and roll right' buttons (you can hook them up to control sails / roll / whatever you want).
v2.4.5 [Change] <UI>: Tidied up the main HUD and the building HUD
v2.4.5 [Change] <UI>: Using icons for most character weapons / items on the toolbar now
v2.4.5 [Fix] <ACB>: [BUGS-685] Fixed all the command inputs in the ACB
v2.4.5 [Fix] <ACB>: [BUGS-717] Electric engine power not considered by ACB
v2.4.5 [Fix] <ACB>: [BUGS-719] ACB aerial AI related crash
v2.4.5 [Fix] <Steam engines>: [BUGS-704] Possible crash when removing a pipe when using steam engines with really a lot of pistons (or a dozen huge ones)
v2.4.5 [Remove] <Avatar>: Melee attack has been removed
v2.4.5 [Remove] <UI>: The old tactical UI, opened traditionally with 'N', has been removed from the game
Reviewed FtD on steam yet? It's the #1 thing you can do to help FtD (and future games by Brilliant Skies!), so please take the time!
Bug tracker - view, "upvote", comment on and add all bugs here.
Request tracker - request new features here
support - private portal to service desk

New UI looks very nice Smile
So Far So Good

Keep up the good work! Smile
Its so nice to see that new progress in this fantastic game was made Big Grin
<3

Curious why the "N" menu was removed?  Are there plans to have a similar feature added back in for controlling fleets or are players who use many ships just going to have to accept they can't direct them well anymore?  Especially disappointing given that this question was posed before and it was decided to keep it.  Was this a discord discussion the pro-fleets guys simply missed?  It just seems a little off given that recent updates have trended towards more control with improved AI, not reduced control.
-Do not bring forth an argument as fact that can be disproven with a 10 minute Google search.

(2019-05-03, 12:03 PM)Nick Smart Wrote: v2.4.5 [Remove] <Avatar>: Melee attack has been removed

Oh, uh

Well, could the avatar weapons be buffed then ? Ever since the armour update, he is absolute crap when it comes to destroying blocks. Grenade launcher is more likely to kill you than the block and the wrecking ball swing was a good way to damage armour if you could aim that thing.

Avatar and his features is a whole another topic though

(2019-05-04, 02:34 PM)Lincrono Wrote: Curious why the "N" menu was removed?  Are there plans to have a similar feature added back in for controlling fleets or are players who use many ships just going to have to accept they can't direct them well anymore?  Especially disappointing given that this question was posed before and it was decided to keep it.  Was this a discord discussion the pro-fleets guys simply missed?  It just seems a little off given that recent updates have trended towards more control with improved AI, not reduced control.

For about the last 3 years there has been the E interface that allows much better control of fleets than the N interface ever did.

There was nothing the N interface could do that the E interface couldn't. The E interface allows a load of extra stuff as well.

The fact that a lot of players seem to think the N interface was unique, or was the only way to detach the camera from the head, shows the amount of confusion the N interface created- so now it is gone.
Reviewed FtD on steam yet? It's the #1 thing you can do to help FtD (and future games by Brilliant Skies!), so please take the time!
Bug tracker - view, "upvote", comment on and add all bugs here.
Request tracker - request new features here
support - private portal to service desk

(2019-05-06, 01:29 PM)Nick Smart Wrote:
(2019-05-04, 02:34 PM)Lincrono Wrote: Curious why the "N" menu was removed?  Are there plans to have a similar feature added back in for controlling fleets or are players who use many ships just going to have to accept they can't direct them well anymore?  Especially disappointing given that this question was posed before and it was decided to keep it.  Was this a discord discussion the pro-fleets guys simply missed?  It just seems a little off given that recent updates have trended towards more control with improved AI, not reduced control.

For about the last 3 years there has been the E interface that allows much better control of fleets than the N interface ever did.

There was nothing the N interface could do that the E interface couldn't. The E interface allows a load of extra stuff as well.

The fact that a lot of players seem to think the N interface was unique, or was the only way to detach the camera from the head, shows the amount of confusion the N interface created- so now it is gone.

I remember this question being asked back in 2016 in the following thread (the decision was then made to retain the menu)
https://forum.fromthedepthsgame.com/show...?tid=22506

My argument for the tactical menu was thus and as of the last update most of it still held true.
'N' UI is the easiest way to issue commands to individual AI on different ships. and the only way to do so on the same screen.

for example, If I have 3 AI on a ship (one for missiles, one for AA weapons, and, one for the guns/propulsion, as i have on my frigates) If i want to watch the whole fleet battle I can use N or E.

However If i want to turn on and off specific AI or issue orders to a specific ship system only the 'N' UI lets me do that while still watching the battle. If i'm using the 'E' UI and i want to turn off a certain system 'E' requires me to: -> open C menu -> have updated AI names for each AI on each ship in each fleet-> hunt through a long unsorted AI list -> select the AI i want and toggle it (can't give it individual attack orders) -> change back to 'E'
'N' allows me to simply -> click ship -> click AI from the ship sidebar -> toggle AI -> issue order. and 'N' allows me to give both movement AND attack orders to specific systems.

'N' AI also more clearly displays the status of a ship's AI and provides useful info on the vessel's position and orientation, info that's quite useful to subs and fliers. 'E' only gives damage, it won't tell you if you're AI dead and it doesn't provide position and orientation info, you have to infer it from the view.

I wouldn't mind the functionality of the two combined but the 'N' UI provides a lot of tools for fleet and ship AI management that 'E' doesn't (and it provides them more clearly in defined, text based sidebars, without using small pictograph icons at the top of the screen where it's easy to miss and mess up the camera orientation.

'E' is more or less just a nicer map view it provides some options, but doesn't allow the same fine control of the systems in play, only rough control of whole vehicles. As other posters in the above thread also noted the "N" menu was then the only UI that displayed the AI's current 'thoughts' this has been somewhat merged with the base UI if you have way-points enabled but that feature is also not available using 'E.'

If the ability isolate the AI of a ship and toggle them/issue orders was added to the E menu then it would retain full functionality, but currently you can't even issue orders to different sub-systems on a single ship, utilizing any current control method. That's a huge loss of functionality for those who utilized it. I may be wrong, but I know of no current way to accomplish simple tasks like telling one turret to target one ship, and another turret to target a different ship with the currently available controls. If there is a way to do so currently I'm interested as it is the primary way I play campaign.
-Do not bring forth an argument as fact that can be disproven with a 10 minute Google search.

How do I move items in the breadboard interface???

(2019-05-08, 02:43 PM)kitsushadow Wrote: How do I move items in the breadboard interface???

Select them by clicking on them with the left mouse button, then click anywhere with the right mouse button to move them there