Not a member yet? Why not Sign up today
Create an account  

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Island naming competition

So the game features islands cities on a flooded planet earth

I think I'll make these island cities the locations of current mountains on the real planet earth.

The player is probably to start in Scotland (I'm not very imaginative), but eventually there might be multiple start locations.

To enter the competition give me:
1) the name and location of a mountain, and it's height in meters
2) The name of the Forgotten Stores island city named after the mountain (or the city could just have the mountain's name)
3) The raw materials you think would be found at that island, based on the resources of the real world, and why

so for example

"Cairn Toul" in Scotland 1291m tall. "The red city" because of the original Gaelic name of the Carngorms mountain range meaning the "red hills" sheep, coal mine, iron mine, oak forest, because these commodities are present in Scotland, and they'll be needed for the player when they first start the game to make their first boat and start exploring.

Alternatively "Nevis-port" based on Scotland's Ben nevis, could be the city in that region.

The reward will be that anyone with a city name suggestion in the game will will be contacted to provide some lore and concepts for the city, have their name in the acknowledgements of the game, and receive a a password to the very first live build of FS, when it is ready.
Reviewed FtD on steam yet? It's the #1 thing you can do to help FtD (and future games by Brilliant Skies!), so please take the time!
Bug tracker - view, "upvote", comment on and add all bugs here.
Request tracker - request new features here
support - private portal to service desk

Is the Height from in game sea level or real Sea level?
Is it possible to have water above the water line?
I'd say lake Titikaka (3812m) island would be cool then. Cities would be La Pass to the south east and Chuliaka to the east (Real cities next to the lake).

Other Suggestion:

Island Praviršulis (Pravirshulis) a relatively swampy island being only 50 to 150m above ingame sea level. Containing Iron ore and Pine, Birch and Swamp Pine forests and since its a swamp-ish it also has Peat (If that doesn't exists as fuel then make it Coal).
The settlement should be called Sargeliai (I don't know how to write it phonetically in English)
There is always a weak-spot if you search Hard enough.

If you fire enough AP at that shield, at some point you're going to come through.

There is no "best" I wouldn't even say there is anything universally good, Good is subjective, I find everything bad even if it's in theory good against this or that.

height as in height above sea level in the real world
Reviewed FtD on steam yet? It's the #1 thing you can do to help FtD (and future games by Brilliant Skies!), so please take the time!
Bug tracker - view, "upvote", comment on and add all bugs here.
Request tracker - request new features here
support - private portal to service desk

How high is the ingame sea level then?
There is always a weak-spot if you search Hard enough.

If you fire enough AP at that shield, at some point you're going to come through.

There is no "best" I wouldn't even say there is anything universally good, Good is subjective, I find everything bad even if it's in theory good against this or that.

Mountain name: Mount Royal, located in south-east Canada
Height: 233m

City name: Montreal
Resources: 
- fur, because historically the city was created for beaver fur trade
- arable land
- wood, the city is surrounded by forests
- fresh water
- fish, from fresh water
- electricity, there are numerous large rivers in the province so hydroelectricity production is very high

Großer Arber (1456m), located in south-east bavaria
City: Bodenmais (but could be anything, there isn't really a large city nearby)
Resources (don't know the valid resources, so here is a expanded list):
- Wood, lots of it
- freshwater from the two lakes
- silver mines
- vitriol mines
- glass (blowing)
- could also be a fortress location because the Luftwaffe has a large radar installation on the mountain aswell a large AA-Flak emplacement

If you take the distance from the mountain top to Bodenmais (about 7 km)and draw a circle, there are also:
- iron ore mines
- more glass
- some cows
- fresh water pearl mussels

If individual mountains are settlements, what about mountain ranges (e.g. the alpes) ? Are they existent and if so, settled or just obstacles and if so, why?
Some may know me as the most boring, consistent person on the planet, others as the most irritating erratic.
If you can't make sense of my sentence structuring, don't worry. Me neither. Language and I are at odds sometimes.

If anyone is interestred, I found this map that approximates sea level rise up to 800m above current sea level, except polar regions.
This might make it easier to plan your island without making sea level too low.

http://www.floodmap.net/

Snežka (the tallest mountain of Bohemia/Czech Republic)
Or Sniezka in polish
1602-1603 m

Its closest city is called Pec pod Snežkou (Translated to Furnace under Snežka).
So, the island could be called Furnace ? Because it somewhat fits about some of the resources common in Czech republic in general.
That means:
- COAL !
-  Iron, tin and copper, also in smaller quantities, mangan.
- Sand for glass making
-  Highly fertile soil
- Uranium (While i dont assume we will get nukes at this stage of the game, it could be atleast be used for glowing lamps or something that adds value to your ships/empire)
-  Natural gasses
-  Kaolin (Quite major thing that comes from my country aside from glass products and beer)
- Clay and calcium ores, gravel and other building construction materials.
- Lithium

If i would narrow it down i would say these resources
- Coal
- Iron
- Lithium
- Clay
- Sand for glass

Lithium is not mined yet but ever since the expansion of technology, there is ALOT of it here in our territory, but we havent mined it out yet. But i would say Coal,Iron, Clay/Kaolin, sand for glass are the most iconic resources from us...

Now since the whole country is in nice spot in Europe, aint that cold, aint that hot i would also assume wildlife could be present... however if FS is based on flooded Earth then i would say lets make this island a manufacturing piece of land, that sacrificed  the current natural beauty for the sweet Lithium to create batteries before planet went to spaghetti and place for factories and steelworks.

[Image: %C5%9Anie%C5%BCka_z_zachodu.jpg]

I could see the industrialized island already, giant observatory/siege cannon on top, factories drilled in the mountain, the current road to be a port with stone cutted foundations...

Halti (tallest point in finland (1365m on norwegian side)) 1324m above sea level.

City could be called "Halti" aswell.

Natural resources could be:
-Gold
-Chrome
-Copper
-Nickel
-Wood
-Platinum

All aforementioned resources are found in Lappland.

Would make for a great spot near the arctic icecap.

[Image: giphy.gif]

Mt Snowdon, Wales, 1,085m above sea level.
There wasn't a town there but It would be a good place to put the first faction of the game there as it is so close to Scotland.
if you choose this then you could put a town there called Snowdonia as that's the name of the national park.
resources could include:
Wool (ofcouse, its wales)
Stone (its a mountain)
coal (wales has a lot of coal mines or at least used to have lots of coal mines)
Fur (there is a folk lure tale about a water monster bearing the name afanc, which is welsh for beaver. Mt snowwdon is seen as its final resting place)
Iron (there are many mines in Wales)