Not a member yet? Why not Sign up today
Create an account  

Poll: Please tick all true statements
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Please tick this one anyway
28.00%
14 28.00%
I opened it and managed to figure something simple out
16.00%
8 16.00%
I opened it and it was "not for me"
8.00%
4 8.00%
I am familiar with this concept of hooking up modules with links
22.00%
11 22.00%
I am excited to see new options added to it
26.00%
13 26.00%
Total 50 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Breadboard block

Interested in your feedback on this new block, of which a prototype has been added
Reviewed FtD on steam yet? It's the #1 thing you can do to help FtD (and future games by Brilliant Skies!), so please take the time!
Bug tracker - view, "upvote", comment on and add all bugs here.
Request tracker - request new features here
support - private portal to service desk

I really like the concept, and think it has a lot of promise if you add a lot of the functionality that other systems (ACB, etc) have. That being said it could use a visual\usability pass, as the nubs were almost so small I couldn't click them, and it took a good minute or so to figure out how to wire things up. Other than that I love the idea of a node editor for things like complex ACB style actions, or even more complex things like piping inputs through a pid node into a thruster control node to do some advanced movement systems.

AI breadboard has now been added, with some unique features, looking for more feedback Smile

(P.S. I increased the node size a bit!)
Reviewed FtD on steam yet? It's the #1 thing you can do to help FtD (and future games by Brilliant Skies!), so please take the time!

Bashing my head against the wall some more, I managed to make some simple PID controls and fiddled around some more.
I see the usefulness, certainly, especially for small crafts that need every centimeter they can get.
For more advanced stuff I need to consult tutorials though.
Some may know me as the most boring, consistent person on the planet, others as the most irritating erratic.
If you can't make sense of my sentence structuring, don't worry. Me neither. Language and I are at odds sometimes.

I did some extensive testing today regarding the breadblock and such.
First I build a simple testplatform, essentially just a box with thruster in every direction and axis on it.
Gave it the maintain distance behaviour and six axis maneuver.
Here are the things that stood out:
The breadboard PIDs somehow aren't working as well as the normal full block ones. I configured them like Nick showed them in his video, but the craft was still wobbling quite much. When, however I exchanged the Breadboard with AI PID set to the same values the craft flew much more smoothly. I tried a few different scenarios, but everytime the Breadboard-PIDs performed worse than the full block ones given the same values. (For example with breadboard pitch fluctuated between -11 and +11, while with the AI PID on the same settings between -3 and +3)

Also the point at and mantain distance behaviour doesn't use forward facing thrusters or flips the spindirection of pushing dediblades which leads to endless circling :-> Craft turns its back on foe until minimum distance -> flys a short distance and turns to face foe -> momentum carries craft again under the minimum distance -> craft turns its back on foe to maintain distance -> etc...
Some may know me as the most boring, consistent person on the planet, others as the most irritating erratic.
If you can't make sense of my sentence structuring, don't worry. Me neither. Language and I are at odds sometimes.

I also had some trouble with the breadboard pid. I noticed that they were doing weird things with the output that didn't really line up with the set point i was feeding it, such as immediately rolling to -180 when i released it from a position of 0 roll with a set point of 0. When i plopped down a gp pid, they seem to start with the 'enable fake set point' unchecked, so maybe that's a default setting for pids that the breadboard pids are inheriting somehow? The gp pid seemed to act similarly when it didn't have a set point.

(2019-04-22, 04:46 PM)GerJS Wrote: *snip*

Also the point at and mantain distance behaviour doesn't use forward facing thrusters or flips the spindirection of pushing dediblades which leads to endless circling :->  Craft turns its back on foe until minimum distance -> flys a short distance and turns to face foe -> momentum carries craft again under the minimum distance -> craft turns its back on foe to maintain distance -> etc...

I think you want to set the "look ahead distance" high, that'll keep it facing the enemy, rather than turning to move towards the waypoint that is slightly behind it. 

I'll check to see if dediblades can "reverse"- they should be able to but I have not checked.

Setting the look ahead distance high fixed it. Also the AI started flipping the spindirection of the pusher dediblades.
Thank you.
Guess I thought "look ahead" is tied to the collision avoidance and terrain height prediction

I don't think everyone is able to construct this,
but it is possible to use circuits another hcker made, while it is sometimes difficult to do in case of Lua which directly controls while vehicle.

It is easier than LUA but lacks all of the functionality, it is more complicated than ACBs but allows for more complicated functions. This has a huge potential to fill the gap between the two.

It took about an hour to figure out how to use it and build a basic submarine depth controller to match depths with the target but still avoid terrain. This was simple enough to learn just using the prompts on the editor so it should be within the grasp of most users that are capable of programming multiple ACBs.

This is a good addition to the game. If you can get all of the ACB functionality into it, it will allow for advanced features to be within the grasp if non-LUA people.