Not a member yet? Why not Sign up today
Create an account  

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Help with new ai/PIDs on aircraft

I have an aircraft that i attempted to update to the new ai standards, since in theory the changes make this type of aircraft much more viable. It is based on the Pelican from the Halo series; it has two wings and two engine pods all on spinblocks to control it's pitch/roll. My problem is that one: I can't find a stable setting for the PID that uses the joints effectively and two: whenever it tries to initiate combat it will do an attack run only to fall into the ocean afterward, seemingly for no reason. Also the yaw is a problem that is potentially related to PID.

Any help is appreciated. It's more of a proof of concept at the moment, and when it's working I can create variants of it for different purposes.

Attached Files
.blueprint   PelicanStd.blueprint (Size: 97.03 KB / Downloads: 3)
We need more pirate ships!
The Open Seas Campaign here!

(2019-04-12, 09:22 AM)zzguy Wrote: I have an aircraft that i attempted to update to the new ai standards, since in theory the changes make this type of aircraft much more viable. It is based on the Pelican from the Halo series; it has two wings and two engine pods all on spinblocks to control it's pitch/roll. My problem is that one: I can't find a stable setting for the PID that uses the joints effectively and two: whenever it tries to initiate combat it will do an attack run only to fall into the ocean afterward, seemingly for no reason. Also the yaw is a problem that is potentially related to PID.

Any help is appreciated. It's more of a proof of concept at the moment, and when it's working I can create variants of it for different purposes.

I would honestly wait for a little bit and let some of the bugs get worked out.  one factor that is going to complicate things is that the vanilla AI is still not a finely tuned LUA system.  The issue with a Pelican style variable thruster system is that each of your four engines (Which on the actual pelican are a bit of a nightmare from a forces standpoint) will cause the craft to pitch, yaw, AND roll.  This is significantly different from standard thrusters that are generally set up to predominantly influence one of these only. An issue that is likely occurring is that the AI is unable to cope with the fact that a thruster response intended to say, bring the pitch under control is also causing the ship to roll/yaw but that countering that roll/yaw is at the same time influencing the pitch.
-Do not bring forth an argument as fact that can be disproven with a 10 minute Google search.