Not a member yet? Why not Sign up today
Create an account  

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Forgotten Shores update

Now that's a nice update!
I do like the idea of islands, the world will probably feel a bit more persistent than a giant ball of water.

sooo.... will we eventually get a tick box to turn all of the water or part of it into a desolate wasteland?
for ye olde tank fans, you know Big Grin

so, is the whole tech tree thing still planned? I'm curious about how development of new tech is done, now that you have an even stronger focus on realism
Once in a while I decide to do something stupid and try to perfect it. That is how some of my strongest designs were created.

(2019-04-12, 03:03 PM)Nick Smart Wrote: I think I should have clarified that the number of crew on your vehicle is limited, so if you build 100 barricades then it wouldn't be any better than if you built 10 (if you had 10 crew). Also, the crew need to actually be in the job, which takes them away from other jobs.

The barricades will naturally work as armour when approaching the enemy, and firing pot shots at them. but the idea is that when you touch the enemy you are all in amongst it in serious melee combat, and as such no protection comes from the baricades or the rest of the ship, and indeed the placement of the baricades no longer affects anything. Once touching the enemy the only decision is who is engaging in combat and who isn't.. those at the baricades are engaging in combat, the rest of the crew are not. Once one ship has defeated all the barricade members of the other ship, they target the rest of the crew indiscriminately, and at that point all crew use whatever weapons they have to fire back.

Alternatively there could be defence points and boarding points.
Anyone in boarding points can shoot at anyone they like on the other ship but can be shot by anyone.
Anyone in a defence points can only shoot at those in the enemy's boarding points, and those people they can actually see on the enemy ship
Anyone in neither can shoot boarders, but at a reduced firing rate as that person has another job they are assigned to.
The priority of boarders is to attack other boarders, then defenders, then idle crew
The priority of defenders is to attack boarders

So you might mount a defence to their attackers, then put your people into boarding points and go and kill their crew

Still needs some thought for sure... I might make a new thread on it.

To clarify I'm just trying to find the simplest possible solution that facilitates a playable prototype ASAP

Ah, ok, right...
I latched on the musket idea too much and forgot the melee part.

I've got some grips with the boarding/defence point idea but can't formulate them right now. I may have to think about that some more.

Regarding a working prototype I would agree that the simple "no clip bullets" approach that you introduced in Post #6 would be the best and then we can iterate based on that.
Some may know me as the most boring, consistent person on the planet, others as the most irritating erratic.
If you can't make sense of my sentence structuring, don't worry. Me neither. Language and I are at odds sometimes.

(2019-04-12, 03:47 PM)CubeMaster_1 Wrote: Now that's a nice update!
I do like the idea of islands, the world will probably feel a bit more persistent than a giant ball of water.

sooo.... will we eventually get a tick box to turn all of the water or part of it into a desolate wasteland?
for ye olde tank fans, you know Big Grin

so, is the whole tech tree thing still planned? I'm curious about how development of new tech is done, now that you have an even stronger focus on realism

Yes to tech tree. Predominantly governed by what processessing chains you have invested in... so tech will become stealable, then slowly manufacturable, then readily manufacturable

I would consider making the world frozen, for tanks, or making the poles frozen to allow tanks there, and vehicles would simply chose whether they are "on ice" or "ice breakers".
Reviewed FtD on steam yet? It's the #1 thing you can do to help FtD (and future games by Brilliant Skies!), so please take the time!
Bug tracker - view, "upvote", comment on and add all bugs here.
Request tracker - request new features here
support - private portal to service desk

(2019-04-12, 05:13 PM)Nick Smart Wrote: I would consider making the world frozen, for tanks, or making the poles frozen to allow tanks there, and vehicles would simply chose whether they are "on ice" or "ice breakers".

Now I want to see a Mad Max: Ice Road type of thing Smile
Builds things*
*Quality Varies

(2019-04-12, 08:36 AM)Nick Smart Wrote: When a vehicle is launched from a city you chose the citizens to crew it. Those guys will not be able to leave the vehicle until you reach port again. You won't be able to swap crews between vehicles and you won't be able to capture enemy vehicles unless the story line of that vehicle allows it. Crew will either survive the mission, die on the mission, or the vehicle will become so short handed or damaged that you won't be able to get it to return home and you'll either become pirate fodder or decide to skupper the vehicle and rebuild it back at an island. This paragraph is mainly limitations. Some of these limitations are because I'm talking about the early builds of the game, some are because of the technical limitations of the game, and some are because of the way I want the gameplay to feel.

Consider at least having abstracted crew transfer between vehicles out of combat. I suppose it will be possible to tug damaged vehicles back to port, by using hooks & rings made of structural parts if nothing else - did you get anywhere as regards to developing the planned tethering mechanics? What about sub-vehicles - will there be any mechanics to facilitate launching aircraft, etc at sea?
Steam/Discord username: cranky corvid

I think system where players can send cargo ship between two islands and gain trade capacity, and when ship is destroyed this costs player some trade resources, which they potentially may choose is bad idea. I would reverse the order of things, player first queues goods to be transported, pick mode (sequential ie. items are transported in order of queuing or parallel or. Part of each resource is carried on each shipment) then cargo ships set sails to transport goods.

(2019-04-13, 12:41 AM)Soar Wrote: will there be any mechanics to facilitate launching aircraft, etc at sea?

it would be neet to see a "hanger" space, just large "resource" containers that can spawn and collect predesigned ships/ fighters, so we can have carriers that can launch lots of small aircraft instead of making long range aircraft. This could also save on processing power, by not having aircraft/light ships loaded all the time.
Builds things*
*Quality Varies

(2019-04-13, 08:15 AM)Fernir Wrote: I think system where players can send cargo ship between two islands and gain trade capacity, and when ship is destroyed this costs player some trade resources, which they potentially may choose is bad idea. I would reverse the order of things, player first queues goods to be transported, pick mode (sequential ie. items are transported in order of queuing or parallel or. Part of each resource is carried on each shipment) then cargo ships set sails to transport goods.

Sounds too complicated given the player will eventually be managing a lot of cities and perhaps 50+ resources each with several different processing routes it is part of
Reviewed FtD on steam yet? It's the #1 thing you can do to help FtD (and future games by Brilliant Skies!), so please take the time!

(2019-04-13, 12:41 AM)Soar Wrote:
(2019-04-12, 08:36 AM)Nick Smart Wrote: When a vehicle is launched from a city you chose the citizens to crew it. Those guys will not be able to leave the vehicle until you reach port again. You won't be able to swap crews between vehicles and you won't be able to capture enemy vehicles unless the story line of that vehicle allows it. Crew will either survive the mission, die on the mission, or the vehicle will become so short handed or damaged that you won't be able to get it to return home and you'll either become pirate fodder or decide to skupper the vehicle and rebuild it back at an island. This paragraph is mainly limitations. Some of these limitations are because I'm talking about the early builds of the game, some are because of the technical limitations of the game, and some are because of the way I want the gameplay to feel.

Consider at least having abstracted crew transfer between vehicles out of combat. I suppose it will be possible to tug damaged vehicles back to port, by using hooks & rings made of structural parts if nothing else - did you get anywhere as regards to developing the planned tethering mechanics? What about sub-vehicles - will there be any mechanics to facilitate launching aircraft, etc at sea?

The tethering mechanics were put in, but they currently rely on a lot of magical realism (warp energy etc). I'll keep the code there but I'm not sure if it will be usable in the game.

Sub vehicles are not in the plan at the moment, small boats and planes will launch from islands, and will need to be stocked up enough to complete their mission and get back to a friendly base.

I'm just going to focus on getting a playable alpha out there before tackling these difficult and slightly contentious issues.

(2019-04-16, 03:15 PM)Nick Smart Wrote:
(2019-04-13, 08:15 AM)Fernir Wrote: I think system where players can send cargo ship between two islands and gain trade capacity, and when ship is destroyed this costs player some trade resources, which they potentially may choose is bad idea. I would reverse the order of things, player first queues goods to be transported, pick mode (sequential ie. items are transported in order of queuing or parallel or. Part of each resource is carried on each shipment) then cargo ships set sails to transport goods.

Sounds too complicated given the player will eventually be managing a lot of cities and perhaps 50+ resources each with several different processing routes it is part of

I meant a system where if you send a cargo ship and there is nothing to transport the ship won't increase some magical teleportation quota but will sail with less cargo.