Not a member yet? Why not Sign up today
Create an account  

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

ASROC

Not asking if it can be done...stating that it can, and is kinda worth it.

The whole point of ASROC (anti-submarine rocket) is to 1) put longer "legs" on a torpedo, since surface torps are usually light weight and have a short range, and 2) enable vertical launch.

I haven't tested the vertical launch, as ejectors and a one-turn usually do fine for VLS torps.

But an SRT and secondary Torpedo Prop put together have the lovely effect of throwing the torp down range toward the target faster and extending the range.

I've noticed a secondary effect: torps fired this way tend to get into a little bit of a tail chase, and vs surface targets do exactly what I would hope the first shot does: disable propulsion!

I'm also thinking it will help with air-dropped torps taking forever to splash down.

Huh, that's cool. Never actually thought of trying that.

Can you type out a missile layout shematically (eg; sonar-body-fin-fuel-sec. prop-SRT)?

I'd like to check this out for myself. I though the ability to stack multiple propulsion units was fully gone, didn't even know we still had secundary torpedo prop components? Smile

good news all round, thanks for sharing!
Imperium Age of Sail Campaign Custom Campaign Dev Idea -> Check it out here!

[Image: 88AAC0598B7E00385C41259D384B95EE9CCBB447]

Sure,
SRT-STP-Fin-Fuel(as needed)-ballast-warheads(as desired)-fin-sonar (horizontal/air launched)

SRT = short range thruster, STP = secondary torp prop
I do front/back fins for more maneuverability, not too worried about drag/speed, as I wouldn't go after a fast swimmer with torps and don't see many fast subs in the campaign fleet.

As for warheads, I found with the current update I have to stagger HE warheads by at least 1 sec for M/L to keep the knockback from reducing the number that actually close the target.
Also, 70-90 degree upwards angled 90 degree cone frag is pretty nice vs wooden targets. HE isn't giving me the insane undersea advantage I was hoping for, even at 7-10 depth with a prox fuse.

(2019-04-11, 02:55 AM)krazygluon Wrote: Sure,
  SRT-STP-Fin-Fuel(as needed)-ballast-warheads(as desired)-fin-sonar (horizontal/air launched)

SRT = short range thruster, STP = secondary torp prop
I do front/back fins for more maneuverability, not too worried about drag/speed, as I wouldn't go after a fast swimmer with torps and don't see many fast subs in the campaign fleet.

As for warheads, I found with the current update I have to stagger HE warheads by at least 1 sec for M/L to keep the knockback from reducing the number that actually close the target.
Also, 70-90 degree upwards angled 90 degree cone frag is pretty nice vs wooden targets.  HE isn't giving me the insane undersea advantage I was hoping for, even at 7-10 depth with a prox fuse.

How many HE warheads? What size torpedo? How many?  HE should absolutely be giving you significant damage, but it is possible to go to lean and not get much.
-Do not bring forth an argument as fact that can be disproven with a 10 minute Google search.

I tried 3 on a medium and 2-3 on a large.
It may be I was just expecting more single torp performance given how expensive these things are now.

(2019-04-11, 10:51 AM)krazygluon Wrote: I tried 3 on a medium and 2-3 on a large.  
It may be I was just expecting more single torp performance given how expensive these things are now.

2-3 on a large torp should knock some nice holes in a variety of stuff.  3 medium warheads is a respectable round but it's comparable to alot of other standard large APS and cram shells.  Remember, the cost to build a launcher is somewhat high, but the cost to actually operate the launcher is comparable to an APS system.  under the new system a decent pack of 3 warhead torps will do the damage of whole salvos and volleys of larger old warheads.  but if you're looking for high single torp damage i would build something comparable to the old telephone poles, but instead of having to use a half dozen thrusters, and 3-4 fuel tanks, and then 3-4 fins just to deliver 5 or so weak warheads you can get more warheads, that are stronger, and actually boost the range, speed, maneuverability, and guidance over the old system (since all the components are better).  It will be expensive, but you'll definitely get the single-round mini nukes if you desire them.
-Do not bring forth an argument as fact that can be disproven with a 10 minute Google search.