Not a member yet? Why not Sign up today
Create an account  

• 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average

Remaking of Replicas (Type 94 90mm Mortar)

[Image: attachment.php?aid=52734]
After 2 days in the making, I have made the Renault FT. Well Actually several Renault FTs. This includes the machine gun and cannon variant. The pre-production turret, the Berliet turret and Girod pattern turrets. I also further made the modernized version, the Renault FT Modifie 31 with the more modern Reibel machine gun. The tanks are 2:1 in scale. As a result, gun caliber and speed are doubled to match the size.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=52733]
Name: Renault FT Mitrailleuse (Prototype turret)
Cost: 2680 materials
Blocks: 108
Volume: 107.7
Length: 10m long
Width: 5m wide (visually 3m, but due to mimic blocks, it's 5)
Height: 4.5m height
Speed: 4m/s
Operational range: 11.4km
Turret Traverse: 30.5 degrees per second
Elevation +7, -7 degrees
Gun: 18mm /2m barrel
Rate of Fire: 450 rpm
Range: 650m
Muzzle Velocity: 471m/s
Accuracy: 0.554
Projectile: 18mm casing-sabot

The original prototype and 150 first Renault FT featured a small cast turret made of mild steel designed to equip the Hotchkiss machine gun. Estienne decided that the tank should be able to also arm a 37mm SA18 in place of the machine gun. As a result the prototype turret was considered too small. 150 was produced meanwhile as training tanks. A small plate with the words "non protege" is on the front hull to let people know the turret is not properly armored.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=52731]
Name: Renault FT Mitrailleuse (Berliet turret)
Cost: 3211 materials
Blocks: 132
Volume: 131.55
Length: 10m long
Width: 5m wide (visually 3m, but due to mimic blocks, it's 5)
Turret Traverse: 22.9 degrees per second
Elevation +7, -7 degrees
Rate of Fire: 450 rpm
Projectile: 18mm casing-sabot

The new turret was capable of mounting the Puteaux 37mm SA18 gun or a Hotchkiss machine gun and made of armored steel. The larger turret was a octagon shape made of plates riveted together. The turret was called omnibus because it could mount both a cannon and the machine gun. The turret was made by the Berliet company.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=52728]
Name: Renault FT Canon (Berliet turret)
Cost: 3543 materials
Blocks: 142
Volume: 141.3
Turret Traverse: 21.6 degrees per second
Elevation +7, -7 degrees
Gun: 74mm /1m barrel
Rate of Fire: 15 rpm
Range: 800m
Muzzle Velocity: 564m/s
Accuracy: 1.69
Projectile: casing-sabot

[Image: attachment.php?aid=52732]
Name: Renault FT Mitrailleuse (Girod turret)
Cost: 2742 materials
Blocks: 111
Volume: 110.7
Turret Traverse: 29.89 degrees per second
Elevation +7, -7 degrees
Muzzle Velocity: 471m/s
Projectile: casing-sabot

The Girod turret was a new omnibus design with a simpler to produce casting combined with a few rolled parts. The turret became the most common by the end of the Great War.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=52729]
Name: Renault FT Canon (Girod turret)
Cost: 2981 materials
Blocks: 116
Volume: 115.45
Turret Traverse: 22.2 degrees per second
Elevation +7, -7 degrees
Gun: 74mm /1m barrel
Rate of Fire: 15 rpm
Projectile: casing-sabot

[Image: attachment.php?aid=52730]
Name: Renault FT Modifie 31
Cost: 2742 materials
Blocks: 111
Volume: 110.7
Turret Traverse: 29.89 degrees per second
Elevation +7, -7 degrees
Projectile: casing-sabot

In 1929 and 1931, trials for a new machine gun was done for the Renault FT. From 1933 to 1934, a thousand Renault FT was modernized with the new Reibel machine gun. The new tank was called FT Modifie 31, although commonly called by many people today; the FT-31. But, like the "FT-17", the "FT-31" is not a official designation. The FT-17 name first appeared after World War I.
I'm in the process of rebuilding all my replicas. My old replicas are all broken because of FtD 2.0 and later the suspension update. After various experimentation and an idea from Thunderpanzer, I think it is possible to remake them again. The wheels aren't working perfectly but it is usable and I really do want to build some replicas.
Some of you may recall me saying something similar in my Tiger I post. The Tiger I is broken due to the suspension update. So I will be remaking that one too. It is quite frustrating, so that's why I haven't been making much tanks lately.

I hope to recreate all my replicas I have built so far. I also want to remake replicas I made in other games, so i have one big collection. Due to the addition of mimic blocks, I will be making extensive use of it along with spinblocks. I desire the absolute most realistic performance out of my tanks(except armor) and especially in appearance, so the level of detail on the Renault FT is going to be the standard I will have from now on.
While remaking these tanks, I will be posting them along the way.
I have hundreds of old replica tanks but I never posted any of them because I wanted to release them all in one collective post. But now that they are broken. I didn't get the chance to even show it off. So I think its better to just show it as I make them instead of holding off.

EDIT 1: The Berliet turret have its hatch fixed. The old one was historically inaccurate. (3/3/19)

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

.blueprint   Renault FT Berliet canon.blueprint (Size: 82.6 KB / Downloads: 9)
.blueprint   Renault FT Berliet mitrailleuse.blueprint (Size: 79.07 KB / Downloads: 11)
.blueprint   Renault FT Girod canon.blueprint (Size: 73.02 KB / Downloads: 10)
.blueprint   Renault FT Girod mitrailleuse.blueprint (Size: 70.85 KB / Downloads: 9)
.blueprint   Renault FT Modifie 31.blueprint (Size: 70.77 KB / Downloads: 12)
.blueprint   Renault FT Training.blueprint (Size: 69.84 KB / Downloads: 10)
[Image: fvn8BOX.gif] [Image: RFSgkaw.gif]

These tanks look awesome great work Smile
There is always a weak-spot if you search Hard enough.

If you fire enough AP at that shield, at some point you're going to come through.

There is no "best" I wouldn't even say there is anything universally good, Good is subjective, I find everything bad even if it's in theory good against this or that.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=52745]
Name: Renault TSF
Cost: 3119 materials
Blocks: 128
Volume: 127.85
Length: 11m long (it is still 10 visually since its mimic blocks)
Height: 6m height

Of the 300 vehicles ordered, 100 of these 3-man radio TSF tanks were produced before the end of the First World War. Up to 4 of these TSF tanks were in each battalion.
EDIT: Realized a slight error in one of the block's position. I fixed it. So the pic might slightly differ from the actual BP.

.blueprint   Renault TSF.blueprint (Size: 75.96 KB / Downloads: 7)

nice tanks
"Anata no soba de! " - Hearts of Iron phrase.

I appreciate the support guys.
Here are some more Renault FT variants. Including the ones posted here, I will make more variants before moving on to another entirely new vehicle. There still more FT variants but I think this will do for now.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=52752]
Name: Renault FT 75 BS
Cost: 3283 materials
Blocks: 139
Volume: 141.6
Gun Traverse: 20.76 degrees per second
Traverse: +15, - 15
Elevation: +75, -10 degrees
Gun: 150mm /1m barrel
Rate of Fire: 10 rpm
Range: 900m
Muzzle Velocity: 203m/s
Accuracy: 2.19
Projectile: 150mm casing-HE

The Renault FT were modified to a self-propelled gun with the mounting of a Schneider blockhaus 75mm L/9.5 gun in a fixed octagonal superstructure. 700 of the type was ordered but only 40 were completed by the end of World War I.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=52755]
Name: M1917 (Marlin machine gun)
Cost: 3589 materials
Blocks: 143
Volume: 142.05
Speed: 5m/s
Operational range: 14.28km
Turret Traverse: 22.05 degrees per second
Elevation +7, -7 degrees

The M1917 was a US-licensed copy of the Renault FT. The vehicle was intended for the American Expeditionary Forces being sent to Europe. The M1917 would serve as the light tank in conjunction with the joint heavy Anglo-American Liberty tank. As the French industry was stretched, it was decided that US should build tanks for themselves. Some key differences included a redesigned front for 2 additional driver vision slits giving a better viewing arc. Exhaust was located on the left instead of the right, a new mantlet and the hatch was moved from center-left to center-right of the turret. A new American engine was used which gave it a ever so slightly increased top speed. Only 950 tanks were built out of the 4440 ordered due to the end of the war. None of the M1917s saw action in WW1 and remained in service until the early 1930s where it was replaced with newer indigenous designs.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=52753]
Name: M1917 (Browning M1919 machine gun)
Cost: 3589 materials
Blocks: 143
Volume: 142.05
Turret Traverse: 22.05 degrees per second
Elevation +7, -7 degrees

In 1919, the Marlin machinegun was replaced by the M1919 Browning machine gun, which also changed the mantlet to the same style as the 37mm variants.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=52754]
Name: M1917 (37mm gun)
Cost: 3645 materials
Blocks: 147
Volume: 146.3
Turret Traverse: 21.2 degrees per second
Elevation +7, -7 degrees
Rate of Fire: 15 rpm
Projectile: 74mm casing-sabot

Like the Renault FT, a 37mm gun variant also existed for the M1917 which had a different manlet design than the Marlin machine gun armed tanks. It did not use the Puteaux SA18 however. Instead it used a US M1916 gun which is in turn a copy of the French 37mm mle.1916 infantry support gun.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=52756]
Name: M1917 Signals Tank
Cost: 3140 materials
Blocks: 129
Volume: 128.85
Length: 11m long (it is still 10 visually since its mimic blocks)
Height: 6m height

The M1917 also had a equivalent wireless command vehicle like the French TSF. In fact it is almost identical except that it used the hull of the M1917. Main identifiers were the vision slits and exhaust location. Much like the other M1917, it was ever so slightly faster.

EDIT 1: The hatches received a new texture. Instead of metal, it uses rudder parts. This gives the hatch a more uniform look. (3/3/19)
EDIT 2: The 75 BS have improved range from 500m to 900m and inaccuracy went down from 6.6 to 2.19 (3/4/19)
EDIT: Information on M1917 hatch design was corrected (3/11/19)

.blueprint   Renault FT 75 BS.blueprint (Size: 77.65 KB / Downloads: 8)
.blueprint   M1917 37mm.blueprint (Size: 83.66 KB / Downloads: 5)
.blueprint   M1917 Early MG.blueprint (Size: 82.9 KB / Downloads: 7)
.blueprint   M1917 Late MG.blueprint (Size: 82.92 KB / Downloads: 7)
.blueprint   M1917 Signals Tank.blueprint (Size: 76.6 KB / Downloads: 5)

Great looking little 'ol French tanks
primum non nocere

[Image: attachment.php?aid=52770]
Name: Renault FT Kegresse
Cost: 3104 materials
Blocks: 122
Volume: 121.45
Length: 10m long(visually 8-9)
Speed: 9.4m/s
Operational range: 47km
Turret Traverse: 22.2 degrees per second
Elevation +7, -7 degrees
Rate of Fire: 15 rpm
Muzzle Velocity: 564m/s
The Renault FT was becoming increasingly obsolete primarily because it was too slow to patrol the colonies. It required a transporter whenever it was deployed. To address this problem, 42 Renault FT were modified with the Kegresse track system from the Kegresse half-track. They saw action in the Rif war before 9 were given to Yugoslavia and 5 given to Poland. This particular vehicle is based on the one in Yugoslav service. I found no evidence for a machine gun variant.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=52768]
Name: M1917 A1 (Machine gun)
Cost: 3671 materials
Blocks: 147
Volume: 146.05
Length: 10m long (10.6 visually)
Speed: 8m/s
Operational range: 16km
Turret Traverse: 22.05 degrees per second
Elevation +7, -7 degrees
Gun: 18mm /21m barrel
Rate of Fire: 600 rpm
Muzzle Velocity: 471m/s

[Image: attachment.php?aid=52769]
Name: M1917 A1 (Cannon)
Cost: 3727 materials
Blocks: 151
Volume: 150.3
Length: 10m long (10.6 visually)
Speed: 8m/s
Operational range: 16km
Turret Traverse: 21.2 degrees per second
Elevation +7, -7 degrees
Muzzle Velocity: 564m/s

In 1929, the US extended the engine bay of the M1917 giving it a higher top speed. The improved tank was called the M1917 A1. Like previous vehicles, there's a machine gun and cannon version.

.blueprint   M1917 A1 37mm.blueprint (Size: 85.24 KB / Downloads: 7)
.blueprint   M1917 A1 MG.blueprint (Size: 84.45 KB / Downloads: 5)
.blueprint   Renault FT Kegresse.blueprint (Size: 74.89 KB / Downloads: 8)

Finally... i'm done. Never again... Never ever again. Took me probably around 5 days to get this done. So many obstacles. This was supposed to be a quick, simple and easy build T^T

1) First was the LWC's high angle setting... It did not account for the range limitation. Rounds in FtD just suddenly lose speed after certain time limit... The LWC does not account for this resulting in them falling short.
2) So I had to create 20+ ACBs each with a range setting that will elevate a spinblock. To do this I had to manually test every ACB by firing several dozen rounds. Making sure there are no gaps that cannot be hit.
3)Then I encountered despawning shells... Had to solve that by lowering propellant density and thus range. I also used larger shells for longer timer.
4) While ranging, I calibrated the ACBs from max range to minimum. After half the ACBs were done, shells started to despawned despite prior testing to make sure they don't. I realized I had a different round loaded in the clip during prior testing and as such did not reflect my customizer setting. So I had to redo the ACBs all over again after lowering the propellant density.
5) Then I worked on trying to animate the mortar as it aimed. With the base and bipod moving with the barrel. The bipod kept messing up so I gave up and had it fixed to the barrel after spending hours on trying to fix it. I now know what happened but I have lost all motivation to re-implement it.
6) After that, the mortar kept hitting the sandbags around it. So I had to fix that by moving or removing sandbags...
7) I then realized the range setting was set for all enemy while LWC was targeting one enemy. This meant the turret aimed one direction while ACBs was aiming based on something else. So I had to convert it to the new 'target range' instead. Which I didn't know existed until Thunderpanzer told me about it.
8) But after that, I noticed the bipod was dislocating. So I had to find out what's wrong. Found out some of the ACBs was interfering. Fixed that... and... I think the same ACBs causing problems was also what glitched out the bipod animation before... But as mentioned already, I don't want to bother re-implementing it.

These are the major roadblocks but there are many more minor issues along the way. Never again... I wanted to make a US mortar but no. This is too much work... So frustrating. I hate it. Then again I might... Who knows. But enough... After so much time spent... Here it is.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=52794]

[Image: attachment.php?aid=52795]

Name: Type 94 90mm Mortar
Cost: 6553 materials
Blocks: 325
Volume: 353.2
Width: 11m wide
Height: 3m height
Gun: 180mm /4m barrel
Range: 1100m
Muzzle Velocity: 106m/s
Accuracy: 1.71
Projectile: 180mm casing-HE-HE-HE-HE-HE head

The Type 94 90mm Mortar was a Japanese infantry mortar from 1934 intended to be a mobile alternative to larger artillery pieces. They were deployed in defensive positions and was noted to be particularly lethal in the Second Sino-Japanese war and during World War II against US forces. However in the latter, the mortar was too heavy and complex for the jungle environment and as a result the Type 97 was developed. The Chinese had French and Soviet 81mm mortars, while good could not compete with the Type 94 as the Japanese mortar was practically a light artillery in design.
The mortar could fire airburst white phosphor and high explosive rounds.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=52793]
This build comes with the Type 94-5 Model 32 transmitter and receiver which was used for short ranged field communications between battalions. Note the one presented is not actually set up properly. The Type 94-5 is in two self contained leather pouch that can be fitted with a strap. The transmitter(presumably the receiver too) weighed 3.1 kg(7 pounds) and was 165mm long, 203mm wide, and 120mm tall. It is powered by a separate hand-cranked generator. Each component; generator, transmitter, and receiver was transported individually by one person. So a team of 3 would transport the entire set.
The transmitter could operate in two bands, from 0.86 to 2.06 Mhz and 4.0 to 5.1 Mhz. It can be used either for voice(basically telephone) or continuous wave(ie. morse code)
The transmitter used a twin tube UZ12C in parallel configuration. The receiver is a UF134 tetrode radio frequency amplifier, a UF109A triode regenerative detector, and a UZ113D pentode audio amplifier. The transmitter and receiver could be operated separately or connected by a patch cord. There is a switch on the transmitter that can be turned on which will silence the receiver when transmitting.
Unfortunately, the set is not moisture proof and its components were not easily accessible. However it was nicely constructed and had numerical labels for every component. The metal cover for the transmitter have a red "Enemy listening too!" warning label. On the other side; schematics, control functions and frequency calibration is also provided.
Most of these radios were destroyed shortly after the war and is now considered a rarity.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=52796]

My main source for the radio is provided by the TM-E227A US signal communications equipment directory on Japanese radio from March of 1944.
My other source for it is from the Australian War Memorial and a hobbyist who own one of these radios. His blog can be found here: http://pa0pzd.com/army-navy/japanese-arm...type-94-5/

.blueprint   Type 94 90mm Mortar.blueprint (Size: 118.33 KB / Downloads: 4)

nice mortar
"Anata no soba de! " - Hearts of Iron phrase.

thats pretty legit, can we get a .gif or short vid of the mortar operating?
[Image: EwYtNDC.png]