Not a member yet? Why not Sign up today
Create an account  

• 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average

Beltfed loaders + high gauge = surprisingly good results

Sooo, I'm curently toying with beltfed-based artillery, and checked how far I could go in terms of gauge while keeping a high, sustained rate of fire. So I reworked my Gascogne that I like so much and turned the artillery into beltfed-based thing. Result is... interesting.

[Image: EA43234DCEA39CEC8987CF42225C1D3B59CFA954]

To fit a 500mm shell in a beltfed, there are not many options: two elements only, here one propellant and one HESH head. Weak individually, but when fired at a sustained RoF of 650 rpm, that's another story...

[Image: 081FA89EEAAE13E97DA2B603390AE153A838213E]
Weak, huh?
[Image: C8D18B5FAAD3B35BA0C09026DB9A559F84F14B6D]
Now fit this shell in a spamgun of hell...

Okay, not excatly spamgun of hell, only 650rpm. Still: with such rate, many things pass shields and LAMS to chomp through armor quite easily. Enough to tear down godlies like Bulwark, Adrastos or the Mighty Thyr. 400+ m/s helps tracking down fast targets, and those 15m barrels mean sick accuracy (0.15°!). All in all, the combo works great.

[Image: 90F0419C7C554CDF84AA387E19AD6266B957F239]

Together with a rework of shields, armor and LAMS, my good ol' Gascogne has become something very viable for campaign. Could be more tanky, but remains pleasant to use and watch.

So, figures, usual stuff:

length: 165m
Width: 29m
Blocks: 17516
Volume: 41885 m3
Mass: 15161 T
Cost: 453237 RP
Power: 72000 HP

Weapons:
two quad-500mm beltfed-based guns, HESH shells, 80rpm
two dual-200mm guns, time-fused Flak, 200rpm
96 radar-guided missiles, small size, about 950m range
16 ASROCs, sonar-guided, medium size

Miscellaneous:
dual-layer, strength-3, shielding, dynamic switching depending on target bearing
8 quad-launchers for anti-missiles decoys, IR and radar
4 quad-launchers for torpedoes decoys

Controls:
U/J: accelerate/decelerate
H/K: steer port/starboard
T/G: start shields in laser absorb / reflect mode
O: stop shields

Attached Files
.blueprint   Gascogne - Beltfed.blueprint (Size: 963.11 KB / Downloads: 14)
-"Speed is armor" - Admiral john 'Jackie' Fisher

-"Firepower is better armor" - Blitzkrieg Bob

not to burst a bubble, but the 500mm 1m shell is a bit of a meme.  there's a great deal of angst surrounding such weapons and their effectiveness.  They have always been lethal.
-Do not bring forth an argument as fact that can be disproven with a 10 minute Google search.

I understand the anger around the 500mm x 1m: it's totaly brute force, no finesse at all! XD

I must admit I never experienced this way, always looking for "multi-purpose" shells, like the 450mm x 3m I used on my old cruisers & battleships (mix of HESH/HEAT, smoke, DC...), so fitting a 500mm in a beltfed is something new to me. I don't know if I must be glad that my battleship I like so much became viable thanks to a more-or-less exploit...

(2019-01-31, 11:19 AM)BlitzkriegBob Wrote: I understand the anger around the 500mm x 1m: it's totaly brute force, no finesse at all! XD

I must admit I never experienced this way, always looking for "multi-purpose" shells, like the 450mm x 3m I used on my old cruisers & battleships (mix of HESH/HEAT, smoke, DC...), so fitting a 500mm in a beltfed is something new to me. I don't know if I must be glad that my battleship I like so much became viable thanks to a more-or-less exploit...

I won't call it an exploit,  large 1m spam guns have some pretty large drawbacks.  They struggle with targets at range, with speed, or with good shields.
-Do not bring forth an argument as fact that can be disproven with a 10 minute Google search.

every gun struggles at long range shield and hight speeds... (some more some less)

this 500mm spray guns are pure cancer(just my opinion), but very effektive if used in the right conditions.
like's strange music Tongue

Actualy, there are still some counters to this, but none are 100% effective: LAMS will see projectiles late due to small size but can still reduce their number, and you will need several layers or reasonable strength shields to deflect a sufficient amount of projectiles (that's one issue against Adrastos, to be honest). Still, HESH are for a good part of effectiveness: frag or HEAT don't do much, Sabot is near useless... And we tend to rely to inelegant solutions to counter the s***storm, like "aim bait" (positioning some ammo or mainframe in a hard-to-hit spot so enemy will waste most of its shells trying to shoot it). In this regard, I agree that it can be considered as cancer Rolleyes !

On the other hand, I agree with Lincrono about the drawbacks: railgun assist is impossible, no fuse, no DC or smoke, I'm stuck with one type of head and one speed. It also eats a large amount of ammo and ressources to sustain the rate of fire; Gascogne features 294 ammo processors to feed turrets, and it's barely enough! (OK, there are also 96 small missile launcher and 16 ASROCs).

I still need to try Gascogne in campaign to see if it's sustainable; I will continue to bring beltfed units based on a smaller caliber (250mm), basically improved versions of my latest Decanus frigate guns. More elements means more customization and possibilities, and maybe less cancer. Big Grin

I sometimes played with 500mm beltfed memes as well, but I didn't really like them
There is always a weak-spot if you search Hard enough.

If you fire enough AP at that shield, at some point you're going to come through.

There is no "best" I wouldn't even say there is anything universally good, Good is subjective, I find everything bad even if it's in theory good against this or that.