Not a member yet? Why not Sign up today
Create an account  

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Ideal armor thickness for a somewhat independent ship

6 seconds reload with 12guns/barrels

and yes shielded targets are a pain even with dc shells

and if u thinks thats overkill than estimate my battleship guns and armor Big Grin

Ps.: its nearly imposible to maintain this ship in a campain i mostly build stuff in designer for fun
like's strange music Tongue

OK, so let's say even with a 90% chance of reflection, every salvo should pass, like, 1 shell. A properly aimed one can dispatch a turret or mainframe, but the reload time is a bit crippling in my opinion.

If this ain't a battleship, well, I'm not sure I really want to meet its big brother! XD That's quite some dedication you're showing here, huge projects like this are typical time-eaters.
-"Speed is armor" - Admiral john 'Jackie' Fisher

-"Firepower is better armor" - Blitzkrieg Bob

oh yeah i shoveld around 500 hours into a single airship (820meters long with over 200 turrets)

and yes the weapons are insanely crippled by shielding its more like 3-5% of the shell passing throught the shields(layerd shielding even worse)
(that the main reason why i hate them that mutch and the point that set up shields on 200+meter long crafts are a pain)

and its no longer operational cause the nuclearpower mod is no longer working

but it was realy funny to watch this thing anihilating dwg and ow crafts (godlys in one salvo down to 80% and less)
like's strange music Tongue

i'll put a corollary to my previous armor post.  the only material I don't let be the last layer is HA, because in that case spalling frags have 80 AP and deal full damage to just about anything except more HA.  If i'm using HA in armor I usually back it with a layer of Alloy, which cuts the spall AP AND helps counter some of HA's excessive weight.

regarding shell lengths, 4-6m shells seem to be fairly popular for heavy guns and compound warheads are common with just about every combination viable depending on what you're trying to do. i've only seen larger than 6m shells on ships when they start mounting obscenely powerful railguns at which point they're generally solid-shot hollow-point shells with a few hundred thousand rail-draw behind them mixed with equally large disruptors. Of course the broken nature of shields and the stupidity of current rail-draw power scaling means these are pretty rare.
-Do not bring forth an argument as fact that can be disproven with a 10 minute Google search.

This thread inspired me to build a Ship again.
A Battleship to be more precise. I haven't build Anything serious for about 8 months by now.  (The hull is the new ship under construction, Finished ship is the Balista II battleship)
The main armor belt I'm going for is Metal- Meta-l Alloy -Gap -Metal -Metal, the 425mm AP from the Balista II still comses in one side and exits the other Big Grin
Bottom armor is (from top to bottom) Metal -Metal- Alloy, Top armor is Reinforced Wood - Metal
[Image: m48EyWT.jpg]
[Image: Spk7mpT.jpg]
There is always a weak-spot if you search Hard enough.

If you fire enough AP at that shield, at some point you're going to come through.

There is no "best" I wouldn't even say there is anything universally good, Good is subjective, I find everything bad even if it's in theory good against this or that.

i'm interested in the stats on those 425mm AP shells.  

About that battleship armor, those vessels really don't come into their own until you get the compartment layout down.  on very big ships the armor system is as much related to the overall layout and structure of the hull and it's internal systems as it is to the outer layer.  At that point, the shear size of the vessel in relation to the shell is a form of armor unto itself because all the stuff you care about is proportionally a smaller target.

That said, I would consider thinning the bottom armor, and strengthening the deck.  

once you start considering the external armor + multiple layers of internal bulkheads, + HA reinforcement that's when they become scary.  The Thyr for example has only 2-3m belt armor in most places, but once the shields and LAMs come down it's still a tough nut to crack.
-Do not bring forth an argument as fact that can be disproven with a 10 minute Google search.

[Image: PxZob8s.jpg]
that is the shell of the 425

Well, the ship by now looks like this
[Image: iEWaKHq.jpg]

The ship is still missing a few cannons, Missiles, countermeasures, some more detection systems, full compartmentalization.

At the moment I'm trying to see, how much protection I can get out of not using any HA and shields.
so some positions (like the turrets) have this armor: Metal Metal Alloy Gap Metal Metal Metal Metal Gap Gap Metal Metal.
The base armor is 2 times metal on the bow and stern that doesn't have the main armor belt or any other important things.

The thing of not using any HA might change though.

That is the shell of the 475mm Rail assisted cannons.
[Image: AlHViQH.jpg]
The secondaries are 275mm guns firing HESH -HE * 5 (He being set to 0.5) Tracer And DC-Smoke mix

The ship also at the moment costs 840k
Which is the single biggest ship that I have build.

If you fire enough AP at that shield, at some point you're going to come through.

There is no "best" I wouldn't even say there is anything universally good, Good is subjective, I find everything bad even if it's in theory good against this or that.

[Image: 251r3m.jpg]

... especially fo that 475mm APHE...

If I'm right, the 475mm are the main forward turrets, the 425mm are the two aft, and the 275 the barbettes, correct?

About DC, did you try to insert some betwenn 475mm shells? Could be more effective than dedicating a 275mm for that, especially if the small shell is slower as it will be more easily intercepted by LAMS. Don't forget that DC make the detection range much higher and slows down shell. 

About armor, well, without shield you can suffer a lot from similar APHE as yours, but you hull seems big enough to fit a monster LAMS, so I'd say it can do.

I love the way main turrets look; I think the ship would gain a lot if you could make the main superstructure use the same kind of look, with plenty slopes and shuch. Impressive job so far!
-"Speed is armor" - Admiral john 'Jackie' Fisher

-"Firepower is better armor" - Blitzkrieg Bob

The 425s are the Main guns on the Balista 2 (the other battleship you see in my previous post next to the Balista 3 hull)
The 475s are the 9 main guns on the bow.
and all secondaries (including the 2 aft turrets) are 275mm firing HESH and DC mix (The DCs also have 1 smoke warhead (which makes them able to come closer to the enemy ship with every salvo as the smoke obscures the rounds before))
the AA's are 95mm firing AP rounds

Quote:I love the way main turrets look; I think the ship would gain a lot if you could make the main superstructure use the same kind of look, with plenty slopes and shuch. Impressive job so far!
Thanks Smile

Thing is I'm really bad at building superstructures, but I might try.

I'm also unsure If I will actually mount LAMS to this ship Either, I'll see what I'll do.

I wouldn't worry too much about stopping shells like this.  Sure, they'll punch a hole in near-anything, but their overall yield and DPS is poor.  The trick instead is to minimize the chance that the opponent is going to punch a whole through the one system that you can't afford to have damaged.  Ideally, you add a second system.