Not a member yet? Why not Sign up today
Create an account  

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Corvettes tryout

As the name implies, I gave a try recently to some small units. Actually, I got motivated by Frost and Ecram light units by Paintminer and Dynocraft, so I thought I could give some love to small units too.

[Image: D603A6249AA1A40EF76F47E7F9B76DE5D4BFE6BB]

Legionnaire-class light corvette:

First, the small one: The Legionnaire-class light corvette was designed to be a starter ship for campaign... Turns out to cost just under 40k, which is a bit expensive for that... I still managed to build it as first and start roaming Neter with it. Architecture is inspired by Tarantul-class corvettes, with the side-mounted foldable missiles and torpedo launchers. Main gun is a dual 174mm APS with belt-fed autoloaders, and the (very) small 4x74mm CIWS aft doubles as AAA. This one acts more as an help for LAMS, it's a bit weak to kill missiles on its own but still damages them.

[Image: 2C03F5AC605C4A4314BD47C3801E9B69CBDE9052]

[Image: 5134DC804FB0EB693D3EB0312B4DFA02C005C8D2]

Price tag is partly explained by the 2m wide hull... but mainly by the launchers. It allows the vessel to be quite versatile, though.  I toyed also a bit with ACBs to switch shields only to the side of the target: this way, I could set strength to 5 without need of too much engine power. There are also torpedo decoys and missile IR/radar decoys.

[Image: CD770F579EFAAC39FD44E8D74B44951F5BC04D39]

All in all this is a quite complex unit, with lot of automation, big engine capable of 350+ ppf, separate AIs for AA and decoys management, LAMS, CIWS... all contained within a small hull which remains fully walkable and unclude a few fancy details.

Figures:

Length: 46m
Displacement: 1030 T
Block count: 2116
Speed: 20 m/s
Power: 8000 HP
Max fuel consumption: 20 f/s
Fuel amount: 20000
Cost: 39714 RU

Weapons:
1 dual 174mm main gun with HESH shells, 472m/s, 120rpm
1 CIWS 4x74mm with time-fused HE, 427m/s, 240 rpm
2 quad-missile launchers for AA and anti-ship
2 torpedo launchers.

Controls:
Accelerate/decelerate: U/J
Steer Port/Stbd: H/K
Set shields to laser absorb/reflect : T/G
Set shields off: O

Evocati-class Heavy Corvette:

So, the big sister now. This unit reuses the formula of the smaller Legionnaire, with increased figures: longer and heavier hull, bigger guns... and increase price tag.

[Image: A7F73D2D084F906C92484C2CB97B641CCBAE90E0]

Aft gun is stil AA/CIWS, but a dual 174mm with time-fused HE. Quite effective, but it's still more a support for LAMS than a standalone anti-missile system. Main gun is a single 266mm with HESH shells and belt-fed autoloaders allowing a RoF of 120rpm, and it's also quite powerful. Missiles are verticaly mounted forward of main gun (2 quadruple vertical launchers) and torpedoes are installed in fixed containers along the side of the superstructure. Engine and LAMS are the same as Legionnaire.

[Image: 48C9C5DDB983B48BA5722FBA117B57F2C92052A8]

The goal was to make an effective corvette, something powerful within a small package while remaining bellow 50k cost (well, it's EXACTLY 50k actually). The Dual-layered strength-4 shield (with also ACBs to switch on only the target side) and the 2m thick hull (1m metal, 1m alloy) make it a bit durable, and the decoys system gives good protection against missiles and torpedoes. During the tests, it managed to sink units much more expensive units, like Palissade,  Sabre, Tigershark, or even Type19! I'm testing it during campaign now, every unit from DWG went down so far (including a Conger airship) and without need to resupply for ressources! Cherry on the cake: it's fully walkable.

Figures:

Length: 59m
Displacement: 1284 T
Block count: 2493
Speed: 20 m/s
Power: 8000 HP
Max fuel consumption: 20 f/s
Fuel amount: 20000
Cost: 50000 RU

Weapons:
1 single 266mm main gun with HESH shells, 390m/s, 120rpm
1 CIWS 2x174mm with time-fused HE, 485m/s, 180 rpm
2 quad-missile launchers for AA and anti-ship
2 torpedo launchers.

Controls:
Accelerate/decelerate: U/J
Steer Port/Stbd: H/K
Set shields to laser absorb/reflect : T/G
Set shields off: O

Voilà! Hope you people will like them. Enjoy! Big Grin

Attached Files
.blueprint   Legionnaire-class Light Corvette.blueprint (Size: 164.11 KB / Downloads: 10)
.blueprint   Evocati-class Heavy Corvette.blueprint (Size: 177.64 KB / Downloads: 9)
-"Speed is armor" - Admiral john 'Jackie' Fisher

-"Firepower is better armor" - Blitzkrieg Bob

very nice ships
they are sooo cute Smile
like's strange music Tongue

Thanks! I put quite some dedication in these ones. Glad you like them! Smile

Hey ! I tested those corvettes and I can fought that I could tell you one or two things :

First : Those designs are incredible ! the only "design flaw" (wich is isn't really one but more of a personnal taste) is that you used spin block on those props but again , that ain't really a problem , just personnal .

Second: I think you could remove the fuse on those HESH shells cuz when they hit shields , they do so little damage that it isn't worth it and if they hit the ship itself , they explode anyway . But that's more on you to decide.

Third : I put the two of them against myEcram (thx for the "credit" by the way , I am honored that someoen takes one of my build has an inspiration) and here are the results : has exepected , the legionnaire got  shreded but that's totaly normal since it's almost costs 20000 RP less than it and put a good fight anyway , has for the Evocati , well that's kinda the opposite has the other , even after fixing an AI problem of the Ecram , it didn't stood a chance against your ship even tho it costs less than the Ecram ! Good job with that !

Fourth: The aesthetics are really good but are kinda "overhelming" on some places and could be changed/removed , but after , I am talking has someone that doesn't do any aesthtics

Well , I think that's all . Hope that helped ya XD
What do you mean by "shields are better than heavy armor" ? haven't you ever seen a World War II battleship ? DID THEY USED SHIELDS ?!

-Wrote by that guy that can't stand modern things but loves WW2 type vehicles

Wow, thanks for the review! Big Grin

Indeed, your Ecram was one of the benchmarks used to develop Evocati, especially because of the durability of the design; first Evocati model was losing consistently, so it pushed me to improve my design. Smile

Well, for HESH fuses, I will give a try, replacing the fuse with HE warhead. I usually expect to do at least a bit of damage with the inertial fuse but with such low caliber I might be expecting too much. The "overwhelming" aesthetics is something that came to me after I was stunned by some amazing replica of Krivak and Udaloy class, so I wanted some good looking ships for my campaign also XD.

Once again, thanks for such a complete review, I'm glad to see somebody enjoying my designs!

(2019-01-02, 10:48 AM)BlitzkriegBob Wrote: Wow, thanks for the review! Big Grin

Indeed, your Ecram was one of the benchmarks used to develop Evocati, especially because of the durability of the design; first Evocati model was losing consistently, so it pushed me to improve my design. Smile

Well, for HESH fuses, I will give a try, replacing the fuse with HE warhead. I usually expect to do at least a bit of damage with the inertial fuse but with such low caliber I might be expecting too much. The "overwhelming" aesthetics is something that came to me after I was stunned by some amazing replica of Krivak and Udaloy class, so I wanted some good looking ships for my campaign also XD.

Once again, thanks for such a complete review, I'm glad to see somebody enjoying my designs!

No problem , that's the minimum I can do when someone "uses" your craft to build his !
What do you mean by "shields are better than heavy armor" ? haven't you ever seen a World War II battleship ? DID THEY USED SHIELDS ?!

-Wrote by that guy that can't stand modern things but loves WW2 type vehicles