Not a member yet? Why not Sign up today
Create an account  

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Stealth Tips

I'm trying to create a motionless vehicle that sits at the bottom of the sea and automatically screens the sea for submarines and possibly boats by constantly laying mines in the nearby area but all of my attempts so far get detected and destroyed. How do I make it stealthier?
All the good ideas have already been thought of, so I'll think of bad ideas with hopes that one of them works out well.

Is it made out of alloy? That's the stealthiest material. Just needs a coating of it I think. Also use passive detection only.

...and no turret/subobjects afaik
primum non nocere

These tips are certainly helpful, but the mines are still easily discovered by most submarines and good battleships.
All the good ideas have already been thought of, so I'll think of bad ideas with hopes that one of them works out well.

A lot of ships will use active detection, which means hiding from them reliably becomes very difficult; the game just wasn't set up for what you're trying to do.
Stealth, when used "properly", is more about detecting the enemy first than being completely undetectable. Then you choose whether to engage or avoid the enemy. If you're just sitting there with passive scans, though, and not making any effort to keep distance between yourself and the enemy, you'll be detected.

The stealth system might become more robust in the future, but right now what you're trying to do is outside the scope of the game.
If you're dead set on trying it, though, keep your ship as small and as sleek as possible to minimize your profile, and I believe some methods of power generation are louder than others, but I've never cared to figure out which are which. I imagine RTGs and electric motors would be the stealthiest.

my 1500 hours has the following advice:

-don't try to make totally stealthed vehicles, it's not worth the effort, especially not for a mine vehicle.  Even if you are successfully able to make it the mechanics of trying to place an immobile mine layer effectively are going to be a constant headache.
-Do not bring forth an argument as fact that can be disproven with a 10 minute Google search.