Not a member yet? Why not Sign up today
Create an account  

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Support Helicopter : Ultair

Hello people ! Today I present you my second craft ! The Ultair ! 

The Ultair is a support helicopter that can be used early game and against factions that uses very few missiles (more on that later) , it is very cheap so very disposable (23k ressources) but VERY fragile (again , more on that later)

so , what is it's weaponery :

Two front facing 3 barreled , 231RPM , 132mm , Frag APS's
and that's all

and it's defenses ?:

4 flare launchers , 2 radar + flare and 2 flares only
3 heat decoys
1 stenght 6 shield in the front
and that's all

with those infos , you might have guessed that it is an artillery type hellicopter , that's why it doesn't have any Aerial/Naval/Ground card , because it entirely works with ACB's . Personally , I use it has my starter craft for the campaign because it is cheap , strong and fast but it is FAR from perfect . You are probably wandering why I said not to use it against factions that uses missiles alot ? well , it's because basicaly , 1 missile can kill this thing if it it's the cockpit . That's why almost all of it's defenses are to counter missiles . The second problem it has is that it DEVOURS ammo ! so doun't count on it firing for all of the fight at 231 RPM if it last more than a minute ... The final problem that I can think of is it's accuracy , since I really strugle to use laser targeters , it doesn't have any kind of fuse and that means many missing shots , if I ever do a Mark 2 , it will have those.

On that , hope you like that craft and don't forget to tell if you found some problems that I could potentialy fix ! thanks for reading XD

PS: I know it's the second craft I post in a week and it probably bothers people , so I will limit myself to that number of posts per week to not spam the forum

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

.blueprint   Ultair Mk1.blueprint (Size: 89.71 KB / Downloads: 12)
What do you mean by "shields are better than heavy armor" ? haven't you ever seen a World War II battleship ? DID THEY USED SHIELDS ?!

-Wrote by that guy that can't stand modern things but loves WW2 type vehicles

Nice helicopter, I like the design and firepower.
Anyway here are the problems/issues with your craft that I can see: 

Problems:
-Runs on RTGs (not necessarily a bad thing, but it is costly.)
-Has very little armor
-Ammo is stored together and isn't protected well
-Cannons could be improved

Minor issues:
-Has failsafes on guns. You want to avoid using failsafes, for all they do is detect if the gun is aiming at a part of the ship it is on, not if it is aiming at a friendly. (unless something has changed that I don't know about.) 
-Uses fleet paint (people who download your ships will see them in their fleet colors and not yours)
-No discernable anti-laser system (I assume it's not really a problem considering what this thing should be facing.)

Here is an upgraded version of your helicopter I made:

.blueprint   Ultair Mk1 REFIT.blueprint (Size: 92.27 KB / Downloads: 12)

-Upgraded cannon
   -Added a Timed shell w/ laser targeter
   -Changed 30 degree frag to 180 degree frag
-Changed RTG+battery to fuel engine
   -Could use some tweaking, but it works
-Added more armor
   -Added metal armor in various places
   -Reworked ammo storage
   -Added another shield
   -Added basic smoke system
-Lowered cost from ~20,000 to ~16,500  <-The power of removing RTGs

Btw don't worry about spamming the threads with your designs. I think you should be fine posting whatever whenever you wish. If you are really concerned with spamming the forums with your designs (which is perfectly fine), you could always go make a thread with all your designs on it, like this one. https://forum.fromthedepthsgame.com/show...?tid=19253

Also:[Image: 3Cjs9ZI.png]
[Image: xGJAg1N.png]

(2018-12-15, 07:33 PM)Paintminer Wrote: Nice helicopter, I like the design and firepower.
Anyway here are the problems/issues with your craft that I can see: 

Problems:
-Runs on RTGs (not necessarily a bad thing, but it is costly.)
-Has very little armor
-Ammo is stored together and isn't protected well
-Cannons could be improved

Minor issues:
-Has failsafes on guns. You want to avoid using failsafes, for all they do is detect if the gun is aiming at a part of the ship it is on, not if it is aiming at a friendly. (unless something has changed that I don't know about.) 
-Uses fleet paint (people who download your ships will see them in their fleet colors and not yours)
-No discernable anti-laser system (I assume it's not really a problem considering what this thing should be facing.)

Here is an upgraded version of your helicopter I made:

-Upgraded cannon
   -Added a Timed shell w/ laser targeter
   -Changed 30 degree frag to 180 degree frag
-Changed RTG+battery to fuel engine
   -Could use some tweaking, but it works
-Added more armor
   -Added metal armor in various places
   -Reworked ammo storage
   -Added another shield
   -Added basic smoke system
-Lowered cost from ~20,000 to ~16,500  <-The power of removing RTGs

Btw don't worry about spamming the threads with your designs. I think you should be fine posting whatever whenever you wish. If you are really concerned with spamming the forums with your designs (which is perfectly fine), you could always go make a thread with all your designs on it, like this one. https://forum.fromthedepthsgame.com/show...?tid=19253

Also:[Image: 3Cjs9ZI.png]
[Image: xGJAg1N.png]
Thanks alot for the advices and telling me about the rep + (probably wound't have noticed until tomorow XD) , I didn't tried your version of the craft yet since I just saw the reply but it can only be better XD . I know I said it on my other thread but it is really nice of "old" members to help newcomers like me getting into building and giving them advices !

Edit: After testing it , I can say that it is definitly better , I didn't use a fuel engine because I suck at making them and I thought it wouldn't fit in (well , I suck at making engines in general sooo) but I didn't thought of the simplest thing ever , just carbs XD . for the laser targeter , well , nothing to say , it's just a great addition ! And for the metal , I thought that it would be too heavy , but again , I forgot the power of dediblades . In conclusion , your refit is the perfect Ultair Mark 2 ! Great job and thx again !(I will totaly use it in my future campaigns)

Ps: I thought about the thread but since I don't have THAT much crafts , I don't see the utility yet , those two (Dracae and Ultair) where designs that I had before joining the forum , but thank for telling me none the less
What do you mean by "shields are better than heavy armor" ? haven't you ever seen a World War II battleship ? DID THEY USED SHIELDS ?!

just a quick note: laser targeters do not actually improve accuracy, they just allow you to detonate timed fuses.
-Do not bring forth an argument as fact that can be disproven with a 10 minute Google search.

(2018-12-15, 10:30 PM)Lincrono Wrote: just a quick note: laser targeters do not actually improve accuracy, they just allow you to detonate timed fuses
I think that everyone knows that , it's just that by making shells detonate even when they miss the target . It will always damage the enemy , increasing the Damage Potential of the weapon . Many players (me included) consider that an indirect accuracy buff