Not a member yet? Why not Sign up today
Create an account  

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Trying to do an airship

Heyya, I'm trying to make a cheap airship for my campaign, but for some reason it keeps trying to fly upside down the whole time and I don't know what the problem is. At first it just wanted to pitch down all the time so I put some rotorblades to try and counteract that but.. Well, the upside down started to happen instead. I'd bet my arm I've done something wrong with the rotors. Could anyone take a look and tell me how I should do to stabillize it? (or how to stabilize an airship/hovercraft in general) 

Thanks!

Attached Files
.blueprint   Hanniver.blueprint (Size: 99.7 KB / Downloads: 7)

(2018-12-14, 10:37 PM)Eak Wrote: Heyya, I'm trying to make a cheap airship for my campaign, but for some reason it keeps trying to fly upside down the whole time and I don't know what the problem is. At first it just wanted to pitch down all the time so I put some rotorblades to try and counteract that but.. Well, the upside down started to happen instead. I'd bet my arm I've done something wrong with the rotors. Could anyone take a look and tell me how I should do to stabillize it? (or how to stabilize an airship/hovercraft in general) 

Thanks!

Hello ! after downloading your craft , I found out that the problem is not the rotor blade , it's that you tried to make an airship without any roll and pitch thrusters  or PID , that's why It was uncontrolable (no offense of course) ! So , I modified your craft a little and I hope you don't mind me giving you some tips : 

first : use beams everywhere , even when you don't need it , it makes the game less laggy and increases your crafts health !
second : sorry to say that , but yout detection system was awful , I changed it a little 
third: personal more than general , but I recommend you to use radar guided missiles and not infra-red , because even if they are essier to spot by LAMS etc... , they can't be contered by normal flares , really usefull , changed that too on your craft
fourth and final: Hide better your componnents , it's okay because it's a really small and expandable craft , but in larger vessels , putting you AI next to your engine/ammo/fuel is a REALLY bad idea !

well , that's all , hope you don't take me for the guy that tries to tell everyone what to do XD because I'd those guys... and I just wanted to say , that it's pretty good for a craft that small ! just need some changes !

Attached Files
.blueprint   Hanniver.blueprint (Size: 101.93 KB / Downloads: 10)
What do you mean by "shields are better than heavy armor" ? haven't you ever seen a World War II battleship ? DID THEY USED SHIELDS ?!

-Wrote by that guy that can't stand modern things but loves WW2 type vehicles

(2018-12-14, 11:27 PM)Dinocraft6489 Wrote:
(2018-12-14, 10:37 PM)Eak Wrote: Heyya, I'm trying to make a cheap airship for my campaign, but for some reason it keeps trying to fly upside down the whole time and I don't know what the problem is. At first it just wanted to pitch down all the time so I put some rotorblades to try and counteract that but.. Well, the upside down started to happen instead. I'd bet my arm I've done something wrong with the rotors. Could anyone take a look and tell me how I should do to stabillize it? (or how to stabilize an airship/hovercraft in general) 

Thanks!

Hello ! after downloading your craft , I found out that the problem is not the rotor blade , it's that you tried to make an airship without any roll and pitch thrusters  or PID , that's why It was uncontrolable (no offense of course) ! So , I modified your craft a little and I hope you don't mind me giving you some tips : 

first : use beams everywhere , even when you don't need it , it makes the game less laggy and increases your crafts health !
second : sorry to say that , but yout detection system was awful , I changed it a little 
third: personal more than general , but I recommend you to use radar guided missiles and not infra-red , because even if they are essier to spot by LAMS etc... , they can't be contered by normal flares , really usefull , changed that too on your craft
fourth and final: Hide better your componnents , it's okay because it's a really small and expandable craft , but in larger vessels , putting you AI next to your engine/ammo/fuel is a REALLY bad idea !

well , that's all , hope you don't take me for the guy that tries to tell everyone what to do XD because I'd those guys... and I just wanted to say , that it's pretty good for a craft that small ! just need some changes !

Oh thank you so much!! Finally it flies like an airship instead of.. Well, an upside down airship! :-D Haha yeah I'm going to change where the AI is and armor it up a little, I thought I'd ask here first about making it stable before finishing up the rest :-D I need to get used to PID and the detection system, last time I played this they weren't implemented yet. xD

Again thanks a lot! I'm going to build something a lot bigger next and hopefully everything will go smoothly now that I got these tips!

It rolls over because the center of mass is above the center of lift. You can fix this easily by installing your lift dedicated heliblade upside down and setting it to always-up mode. This will work because the force generated by a single dediblade set originates from the root block of that dediblade. If you build the dediblade upside down, then the root block will be higher than the center of mass. This will make the craft much more stable. It shouldn't roll over anymore.

You should still add roll and pitch control, however.

(2018-12-15, 01:48 AM)Pastor of Muppets Wrote: It rolls over because the center of mass is above the center of lift. You can fix this easily by installing your lift dedicated heliblade upside down and setting it to always-up mode. This will work because the force generated by a single dediblade set originates from the root block of that dediblade. If you build the dediblade upside down, then the root block will be higher than the center of mass. This will make the craft much more stable. It shouldn't roll over anymore.

You should still add roll and pitch control, however.

Thanks a lot! I'll change that asap!

(2018-12-15, 12:45 AM)Eak Wrote: Oh thank you so much!! Finally it flies like an airship instead of.. Well, an upside down airship! :-D Haha yeah I'm going to change where the AI is and armor it up a little, I thought I'd ask here first about making it stable before finishing up the rest :-D I need to get used to PID and the detection system, last time I played this they weren't implemented yet. xD

Again thanks a lot! I'm going to build something a lot bigger next and hopefully everything will go smoothly now that I got these tips!

No problem at all ! after all , PID's are pretty hard to understand without someone helping you (or by using a tutoral) the first time you use them . I should be the one thanking you for taking the advices XD
What do you mean by "shields are better than heavy armor" ? haven't you ever seen a World War II battleship ? DID THEY USED SHIELDS ?!

-Wrote by that guy that can't stand modern things but loves WW2 type vehicles