Not a member yet? Why not Sign up today
Create an account  

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Co-op Battle-cruiser Campaign II

Hello all. I doubt anyone here remembers me, but I last played FtD about two years ago and maintained a sort of blog thread about the progress of my friends and I in campaign: Co-op Battle-cruiser Campaign Update Thread

That stopped because multi-player broke for us, so we never finished the Quest for Neter. However, another friend now has fibre and is hosting a new campaign, so I'd like to keep a record of it here.

Players:

'Ace'
Armide
Pzike3
Ogrich
Oktallion
ZombieMouse

The Campaign Rules

* Building in campaign only. No blueprint spawning from designer.
* Only two armed warships.
* Local resources on.
* Manually pilotable vehicles only (i.e. no navel/aerial AIs).
* Steam engines only.
* No space weapons.
* No lasers (which includes no LAMs!)
* No shields.
* No rocket motors (i.e. torpedoes and mines are allowed, but missiles are not).
* No repair bots/tentacles.

The spirit of it is to go with a WWI style battle-cruiser that has been upgraded with WWII style AA guns and sensors.

Last time around we had a ship around 350m long IIRC. This time, because we are six players we will go with ships of about 200m long. A lot has changed since most of us last played. Some things I don't like (like the loss of resource types), but a lot of other changes Nick has made I really do like.

Here are our humble beginnings...

The 'ski' things are the intended width of the final ship, but to begin with this is all there are resources for. Smile

The Beginning of the Beginning.

[Soundtrack]

It's not long before we make our first contact with the Deep Water Guard - a couple of small boats. We find out that the AIs on our turrets don't seem to be working and so Ace, Armide and Ogrich take manual control, while I steer the ship. After the battle we realise that it is not worth collecting salvage from destroyed ships, as we burn more 'coal' steaming our ship there than we collect. We have set the resource from salvage to the absolute minimum (0.1%?) to make life harder for ourselves.

Here we are just venting steam also. Pzike3 pointed out afterwards that we needed steam release valves on the pipes to not waste pressure.

The metal ship here is being built by Oktallion and Pzike3, and needs stabilisers to keep it upright. The stick in the background is a quick land-based radar. On our ship I've laid out the top deck's intended final dimensions (200m).

Here we are with the top deck of the hull laid down. Preliminary 'A' and 'B' turrets have been placed, as well as a hole in the deck at the back for where 'Y' turret will be. Our original starting ship is still there incorporated into the hull. Oktallion & Pzike3 scrapped their ship and started over with a larger wooden hull. I like the addition of the wedge block to the game, and added 4x1s to the bow to reduce drag, putting us a little over 200m.

With resources already running low we decide to let Oktallion & Pzike3 have the starting resource zone to themselves, while Ace, Armide, Ogrich and myself head on out to find more materials. As you can see, we do not travel very fast, as ramping up the boilers would burn all the resources stored on the ship and leave us stranded! We thought that 3400 coal in the bunker would be plenty for the journey...

After dispatching a few more small boats we came across a small DWG outpost. "Great! let's capture it and scrap it". Our ship (now named HMS Vellamo - after the Finnish goddess of lakes and seas) would be left a short way off, while we conducted an infantry attack using a small helicopter to start the battle. Ace kept the helicopter safe while the rest of us jumped out and swam ashore.

There was an airship that gave us a few problems, but eventually we captured everything. The airship was a bit damaged, but we made it airworthy again by adding some more balloons and loaded it up with resources. Then we would fly it back to Vellamo.

Then disaster struck - we got attacked by another DWG flyer just as we were leaving. We tried to run, but were just too slow, and the first shots cut loose all our balloons. We hurtled downwards like a brick and despite our efforts to save the situation, got shot to pieces. We lost the ship and all our captured resources.

Back to Vellamo, we would hunt this other DWG airship down and avenge ourselves upon it! We shot it down over an island, but didn't kill it. This meant sailing all around the island, burning coal all the way, until we could get our guns to bear again.

Nested in a valley we found our crippled foe and finished them off.

Now our coal bunkers were looking rather slim. We had to choose either press on ahead or go home empty handed. If we pressed on there would be no turning back, as we would not have the resources to steam home again after this point. Of course, onwards we sailed! ...

(2018-12-09, 01:59 AM)ZombieMouse Wrote: Hello all. I doubt anyone here remembers me, but I last played FtD about two years ago and maintained a sort of blog thread about the progress of my friends and I in campaign: Co-op Battle-cruiser Campaign Update Thread

That stopped because multi-player broke for us, so we never finished the Quest for Neter. However, another friend now has fibre and is hosting a new campaign, so I'd like to keep a record of it here.

Players:

'Ace'
Armide
Pzike3
Ogrich
Oktallion
ZombieMouse

The Campaign Rules

* Building in campaign only. No blueprint spawning from designer.
* Only two armed warships.
* Local resources on.
* Manually pilotable vehicles only (i.e. no navel/aerial AIs).
* Steam engines only.
* No space weapons.
* No lasers (which includes no LAMs!)
* No shields.
* No rocket motors (i.e. torpedoes and mines are allowed, but missiles are not).
* No repair bots/tentacles.

The spirit of it is to go with a WWI style battle-cruiser that has been upgraded with WWII style AA guns and sensors.

Last time around we had a ship around 350m long IIRC. This time, because we are six players we will go with ships of about 200m long. A lot has changed since most of us last played. Some things I don't like (like the loss of resource types), but a lot of other changes Nick has made I really do like.

Here are our humble beginnings...

The 'ski' things are the intended width of the final ship, but to begin with this is all there are resources for. Smile

OH MY GOD YOU'RE BACK
I used to love reading your old campaign posts! Good luck with this one, hope everything works out server wise!

(2018-12-12, 09:57 PM)Greasy01 Wrote: Good luck with this one, hope everything works out server wise!

Cheers Greasy! Nice that someone remembers us Smile

The forums seem a bit quieter these days...

-----

Manual Fire

[Soundtrack]

After our duel with the airship we took a southerly route around the landmass before us. We didn't quite recall where the DWG headquarters was exactly but had unpleasant memories of being attacked by a squadron of "Coffin Nails" from before in the direct route through a narrow channel. At least the South offered us open water to manoeuvre.

Battle damage had left us radarless and flooded, but mostly it was just wood blocks, so we patched up and steamed on.

We met a number of small ships along the way, but mostly their fire was inaccurate. Here is a mini paddle gun - not the fiercesome 'custom cannon' paddle gun I remember.

The cumulative damage eventually started to make itself felt though. Pretty soon We all had to turn off our repair abilities to make sure there were enough resources to keep the boilers running, and we cruised at an economical but painfully slow speed (~12m/s IIRC).

Here we are attacked by a DWG bomber. Armide and Ogrich took a turret each while I controlled the ship.

With no need for additional repair crews the rest just watched as it was shot down. And a sigh of relief that their aim was on point. if It had gotten closer we would have been in real trouble if the guns had been hit.

Below the ship I'd 'sketched out' where the lower decks would be so we could see the full draught of the ship. In some places we had to be quite careful not to run aground. The reduction gears are below the ship at this point to accommodate more of them. The metal bottom will later become an armoured mid-deck above the future engine room.

Eventually of course, we ran out of coal. Unable to repair or steam we were completely dead in the water. Thankfully Ace had seen this coming. He had gone back to the resource point and built a small resource helicopter to bring fresh supplies, and was already on his way.

Flooded and listing to port, all we could do was sit tight and wait, and hope we were not attacked. On the stern is a small turret Armide has been experimenting with to try and shoot down missiles.

Our saviour Ace got us steaming again, but we still had to keep repairs off and dismantle B turret to reach another DWG land settlement to attack.

This was exactly what we needed. Armide manually controlled the guns to target only the enemy coastal batteries, while the 'marines' swam ashore and captured the DWG airship construction facility. I still love the design of this platform. Ther airship being built was my favourite vehicle in FtD from before (what was it called, the Moray?). Now we had the resources to repair the ship and steam all the way to the DWG headquarters!

As before, there was an immediate DWG counter-attack by an airship, but this time HMS Vellamo was here to secure our prize. Here our bow is being blown off. Around this point we realised that IR missiles were always going for the bow, because the searchlights there were the hottest thing on the ship. This convenient decoy is something we'll keep.

Here the rebuilt B turret takes a direct hit and loses a barrel. But the DWG airship is going down, and shortly after is destroyed.

Next time, on to the heart of the DWG territory...

Davey Jones' Outpost

[Soundtrack]

Finding and destroying Davey Jones' Outpost wasn't much of a problem. It just took some time as it turned out we had gone very much the long way around.

The DWG counter attacked with what looked like some of their larger vehicles, but we managed to deal with them without taking further serious damage.

This DWG ship looked rather fearsome, but didn't prove to be all that dangerous.

With the immediate threats out of the way Ogrich put up some radar coverage. Since we're playing 1910s-40s style, we won't be using space based radar, so he used balloons.

Shortly afterwards we were joined by Oktallion and Pzike3 who helped dispatch more DWG intruders, and we settled into building at the DWG resource zone. Here we have laid out positions for the secondary guns, and there are ammo customizers and various testing bits scattered around the deck of HMS Vellamo.

Oktallion preferred to go with a design that was slightly shorter than Vellamo, but broader, and with triple instead of twin turrets. There is also an anti-aircraft battery. Disturbingly however, the ship has no name - something I consider to be deeply unlucky. O_O

You can see both ships also have their own temporary radar masts.  In the air Ace is arriving from the starting resource zone in his new 'Spruce Goose' flying boat. With us both building in the same zone we will need extra resource deliveries for a while.

In all the big wide clear sky, Ace manages to clip the radar balloon on his way in for landing! It lost one of its balloons and crashed into the bay - well done Ace! But we nobody complains about the resources he brings in. Smile

Apparently the flying boat is quite difficult to fly (manual control only!). Here it is parked by our resource gatherer platform.

Given that controlling the Spruce Goose isn't much fun, Ace sets about building an airship to replace it.

The day ends with a final futile attack by the DWG. Against both our ships, it is easily brushed off. We decide that the DWG zone is going to be safe enough for us to stay a while and build up our ships before we proceed.

Very interesting way to play the campaign. Best of luck. What faction are you most concerned about?
Check out the Persons Defense Tech Fleet Catalog (currently in development stages)

Hi iPersons. We have made a point of not going into designer and loading the faction vehicles, so we don't know what to expect from the updated vehicles. I would say that if there is anything that is both large and very fast it might be difficult for the main guns to track and the flak might not do so much damage to it. Generally though our biggest concern is probably missiles. Any faction using many missiles will be difficult for us to protect against without LAMs. IIRC I read in the latest patch notes that flak shells have just been given reduced damage to missiles also.

I'm personally looking forward to fighting the Steel Striders, as I recall them having a similar theme to their ships to what we're going for.

(2019-01-02, 04:55 PM)ZombieMouse Wrote: Hi iPersons. We have made a point of not going into designer and loading the faction vehicles, so we don't know what to expect from the updated vehicles. I would say that if there is anything that is both large and very fast it might be difficult for the main guns to track and the flak might not do so much damage to it. Generally though our biggest concern is probably missiles. Any faction using many missiles will be difficult for us to protect against without LAMs. IIRC I read in the latest patch notes that flak shells have just been given reduced damage to missiles also.

I'm personally looking forward to fighting the Steel Striders, as I recall them having a similar theme to their ships to what we're going for.
Steel striders will be tough. Good luck and I'll look forward to seeing your progress
Check out the Persons Defense Tech Fleet Catalog (currently in development stages)

Cheers iPersons!

----------

All the Guns

[Soundtrack]

The day started with a bang. I don't know what this DWG vehicle was, but it didn't last long.

Then a surprise, we got attack by the Lightning Hoods. We had not expected to fight them this early, but apparently we are now "skirmishing".

Oktallion has prepared spaces for two more turrets. On Vellamo we have up-gunned the main armament. 'A' and 'B' turrets have gone while I rebuild the armoured barbettes and the new design has been installed in 'Y' turret only. The combined weight of Y barbette and turret is lowering the stern and lifting the bow. Vellamo also now has secondary guns and its first AAA fore of Y turret (double barrelled 88mm - because Wink ).

There was Lightning Hoods a surface unit also, but against both our ships it wasn't a problem.

Ace's airship proved much easier to fly, but he wasn't happy with the speed or load, so he has set about work on an improved 'Zeppelin'.

Oktallion completes his main battery - 12 guns in four triple turrets. Plus space for another AAA. The hull is sporting a WWI dazzle camouflage. With the new guns it is sitting very low in the water though, with barely 1m of freeboard.

Ogrich finishes Vellamo's main battery - six guns in three twin turrets. The funnels won't be entirely for show. The steam release vents from the  engine room will also be piped to them. Places for the other flak positions have been marked with stone and autocannons have been added to be bow and turret roofs (mostly for looks).

The upper hull has been changed to alloy for buoyancy, while the lower hull is 'armoured' with steel. The mid-deck eventually became half alloy and half steel. The steel line along the middle of the ship's hull is the armoured deck that forms the roof of the engine room and other compartments with valuable parts in them.

I start work on the 'pagoda' mast and superstructure while Ogich and Armide test out various stuff on deck. In particular trying to come up with an anti-missile system. The main deck itself is two layers thick: wood above and alloy below. The armoured deck below is also two layers: wood above and steel below. The 2 decks below that are one layer of wood and then a steel bottom.

In the background Oktallion begins work on the lower hull to make the ship deeper and give it more buoyancy.

The Lightning Hoods Strike Again

[Soundtrack]

What is that?!

Something big was flying towards us, firing lasers at us... Action stations!

The fireballs from the new guns looked pretty nice.

The incoming Lightning Hoods ship split its fire between Vellamo and Oktallion's ship. On Vellamo turning constraints have not been set on the secondary guns yet, but firing constraints stopped the starboard guns tearing our ship up.

Flak from both our ships exploding around the flyer.

Our attacker sends a volley of missiles towards Vellamo, while turning towards Oktallion's ship, which had taken on a progressive list to port due to some underwater damage.

Vellamo also took an underwater hit that destroyed a secondary gun. The large compartments meant extensive flooding that caused the ship to settle low in the water.

The stricken Lightning Hoods now started what looked like a kamikazi dive towards Oktallion's ship.

Despite our best efforts to shoot it down, Armide had to call out for Vellamo's guns to cease fire for fear of hitting Oktallion's ship - which continued to fight on despite an alarming list to port.

Eventually the flyer came down just short of its target. But it was clear that even though the battle was won, Oktallion's ship had been struck a serious blow. Nothing was going to stop her rolling over...

...and capsizing.

This engagement brought some interesting lessons. For Vellamo, that it was time for some more compartments. For Oktallion's ship a bit more serious. The rounded nature of the hull bottom means that it does not shift centre of buoyancy automatically to correct a roll. To counter this the machinery needs to be brought down from the deck above to fill the centreline airspace at the bottom of the ship, creating more airspace in the deck above. The secondary turret barbettes also need air pumps (on both ships) to provide more torque against roll.