Not a member yet? Why not Sign up today
Create an account  

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Thrustercraft Behavior

So I've attached the craft file for a small thrustercraft fighter i've built except the problem is that it no matter what i set the altitude to it just decides to keep increasing altitude and go to space. And sometimes it just ignores the target and goes the other direction. I've looked at a bunch of threads on this behavior but this is NOT due to wings or ailerons or anything like that. Mainly because there are NONE of those on this craft. If anyone could help me figure out why it does this id appreciate it.

Id also appreciate general tips on how to improve this craft.

Attached Files
.blueprint   C3 Wildfire Mk3.blueprint (Size: 50.67 KB / Downloads: 5)

I took a quick look at your blueprint, and I believe most of the issues were with how the Aerial AI was set up. 

I changed pretty much everything, but the most notable were how often it was trying to roll, and when it was trying to finish an attack run. The "abort attack run" distance was also impossible for the craft to achieve with the altitude set. I also turned your roll thrusters down to 0.5 as it seemed to be causing pathing issues due to how extreme it was spinning. (It couldn't decide if it wanted to roll left or right seemingly.)

Attached Files
.blueprint   C3 Wildfire Mk3.blueprint (Size: 50.7 KB / Downloads: 2)

(2018-11-09, 07:33 PM)ZzyzX Wrote: I took a quick look at your blueprint, and I believe most of the issues were with how the Aerial AI was set up. 

I changed pretty much everything, but the most notable were how often it was trying to roll, and when it was trying to finish an attack run. The "abort attack run" distance was also impossible for the craft to achieve with the altitude set. I also turned your roll thrusters down to 0.5 as it seemed to be causing pathing issues due to how extreme it was spinning. (It couldn't decide if it wanted to roll left or right seemingly.)

I had it set to roll that way so it would have a rather erratic flight path as if that thing is hit by anything substantial its pretty much dead. It was also there to try and reduce that wobble effect it has with your settings where it continually goes up and down.

It does work much better now and not fly up to space though so thank you for fixing my settings. However is there a way to get it to maintain a level flight path without causing any other issues?

As far as I know the only other way to stabilize your craft would be to reduce the amount of turn/pitch/yaw thrust, and/or using PIDs. Both of which options will make your vehicle much easier to hit. I would recommend looking into it either way, as you can tweak as you please and find the sweet spot between stable and dodgy.

In fact I just realized you could probably have the best of both worlds if you have an ACB control the PID's on/off at a certain enemy distance, enabling smooth flight outside of combat range, but erratic movements within.

the PID for the AI has good altitude control, much better than the Ai alone.....the Ai isn't effective at pitching down when above it's set altitude, most of the time it seems like it totally ignores that setting.............before PIDs i would add more down picth thrust than up pitch thrust because the Ai seems to use up thrust more..............if i remember right the altitude PID overrides the Ai altitude setting completely and has a wider range setting..................the bad news is it only works when the Ai is on.............turn the Ai off and it's a trip to space...........
The animal will not sacrifice the part for the whole.