Not a member yet? Why not Sign up today
Create an account  

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

What on earth is wrong with this Large Rudder on my ship.

(2018-11-11, 07:44 PM)Pastor of Muppets Wrote: More investigation of rudder forces:

I took BioPhoenix's boat, added some hydrofoil outriggers to give it some stability, and then put a 16m metal pole to lower the Large rudder way down in order to make what was going on very obvious. I then disabled the steering ACBs and set and locked the rudder's spinblock at 10 deg. The forces are definitely applied at the spinblock, not the rudder. Here is the proof.

(Image removed)

That would be helpful, but it's not what's going on.
I already tried what you tried. I also tried moving the actual spinblock's altitude around a bit to compensate. (You have to pull the ship out of play and put it back in for the ACBs to detect new spinblocks now, though.) To confirm that it's not that, I tried moving the spinblock again, but more so, so there's no way it could be above center of mass.

If that was the issue, moving the spinblock's position up and down should fix it.

It does not. The forces are clearly applying at the wrong altitude. They appear to always apply at the waterline.

This leads to the same leaning effect happening regardless of the position of either the spinblock or of the rudder on the spinblock. I remember the old large rudders mod had rudders apply their force at the center of mass. Neither of these are very accurate but that would be better than this.

EDIT: You can also clearly see the forces aren't with the spinblock in any case, as the forces for different rudder segments are visibly applied at different positions along the forward-backward axis when there's only one spinblock.
EDIT2: Rephrased

Messages In This Thread
RE: What on earth is wrong with this Large Rudder on my ship. - by BioPhoenix - 2018-11-11, 09:05 PM