Not a member yet? Why not Sign up today
Create an account  

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Sep/October sprint mega thread continued

I'm using Hydrofoils to lift the front of the ship out of the water, so it's sitting at a 10 degree incline anyway. The only parts of the ship in the water are the transmission, props, and rudders hanging down. The front bounces off the waves at 50m/s. The front is heavy enough that on flat water, it falls down until the hydrofoils bounce it back up again, but when the 4x waves are bigger than my ship, plowing into one can put the nose up too high to fall back down again. I would use hydrofoils to control it, but I want the front out of the water anyway, which means that by the time I want to angle down, the whole front is out of the water and they don't have any purchase. I suppose I could put hydrofoils upside down on the back to control pitch, but that tends to lift my propellers out of the water, which is the opposite what I want to do to control pitch. Right now I have upward facing jets on the bow to go with the pitch PID, but I will surely appreciate an unpowered, unheated solution that gives me more fine-grained control when it comes out. Also I might be able to use them for a little roll control.

Try narrow stick with hydrofoils at the end under your bow, something alike real hydrofoil boats.
Makes things.
The fastest thing in the universe is sluggish... Years, decades, centuries from star to star.

Ah, a speedboat sort of setup. Your only options that I can think of are:

- What you're doing: jet engines pushing the bow down when pitch is too high
- Dediblades hidden inside the bow to do the same thing--this won't generate heat but that helicopter sound is so tiresome
- Raise the propellers up a block--this might take a lot of work and ruin the very tight balance you're looking for
- Put some lead in the bow

Have you tried that slider in the propeller's Q menu? I think its supposed to lower or raise the point where the prop's thrust is applied. It might be glitchy at this time though--there's a bug report posted. Hell, it might even be part of the problem. Try placing them again by doing this:

1. Turn the mirror line off
2. Aim the camera forward
3. Press G to aim the cursor forward
4. Place the left side prop
5. Rotate it 180 deg. clockwise or counter-clockwise.
6. Place the right side prop.
7. If it's still goofy try placing the right first, rotate 180 deg., then place left.

Here's the bug report:
https://brilliantskies.customercase.com/...ird-torque

The post with the pictures has a pretty good description of the workaround he is using.

I wasn't really looking for a solution(that would be more appropriate to the Component Design forum), I was mostly expressing enthusiasm for Nick's vehicle control rework and inquiring whether aero control surfaces would be included in the rework.

Looking forward to testing it!

Edit: I hadn't even tried that setting in the Q menu, but I just did, and there are definitely weird forces that don't show in the \ view. It was lifting my aft out of the water, which caused the metacentric height went to go way up while at speed and steering got all floaty. I'll just leave that setting at zero until it's fixed.

(2018-11-07, 07:34 PM)Albino Wrote: Any chance we can get dediblades to have the same input options as thrusters? And will we get a "Complex control only" option for thrusters?

Yes and yes
Reviewed FtD on steam yet? It's the #1 thing you can do to help FtD (and future games by Brilliant Skies!), so please take the time!
Bug tracker - view, "upvote", comment on and add all bugs here.
Request tracker - request new features here
support - private portal to service desk

(2018-11-07, 04:11 PM)obnosis Wrote: How will the PID setups will be impacted by this? Will a single thruster be affected by the inputs of two pids at the same time? And if we're at this, i saw somewhere a suggestion about allowing PID to only affect certain elements as an ACB "search by name" feature. This would be a nice time to implement that.

Yes this should be possible.

You set the pid to affect a custom input that you could call "Hover Pid" and then any equipment can listen and respond to that input. It could be thrusters, Air pumps, hydrofoils, whatever.
Reviewed FtD on steam yet? It's the #1 thing you can do to help FtD (and future games by Brilliant Skies!), so please take the time!

(2018-11-07, 06:20 PM)Pastor of Muppets Wrote: All of that sounds great. There's been a lot of excellent changes in this game in recent months.

Are you planning to expand the complex control system to allow more "letters" to be used? It would also be nice if you can use it to send messages to and from ACBs but not respond to the player actually pushing that button. Say I'm using Y to trigger some internal task. I would like to be able to set it so pressing Y on the keyboard manually does not trigger those ACBs in order to prevent something going wrong.

Since you're looking at these things, here's something that's probably a bug: Currently the GP Pitch PID controls hydrofoils, and it shouldn't. Pitch hydrofoils need the ones behind the COM to be upside down in order to work properly, so if you have them all facing the same way pitch control doesn't work. There's a specific hydrofoil pitch PID for this reason.

Also, that "use velocity vector" checkbox in the Aerial AI didn't seem to disable the behavior properly when unchecked. This was true a few versions ago anyway.

No plans to add new letters. If you don't have a "Complex Controller" you cannot accidentally press the buttons. Bug reports can be reported in the bug tracker but both of those bugs should disappear in the refactoring anyway.

(2018-11-07, 06:14 PM)Willie Fiddler Wrote: Will this new system allow for craft with guns mounted without a turret be aimed by turning the vehicle itself? IE. fighter aircraft

Yes we can make a fighter aircraft AI behaviour and manoeuvre script

(2018-11-09, 10:38 AM)Nick Smart Wrote:
(2018-11-07, 06:14 PM)Willie Fiddler Wrote: Will this new system allow for craft with guns mounted without a turret be aimed by turning the vehicle itself? IE. fighter aircraft

Yes we can make a fighter aircraft AI behaviour and manoeuvre script

This is one of the most exciting announcements for someone who both loves dogfighters and hates LUA. It is extremely difficult to get aircraft to tail enemy fighters with the stock AI.