Not a member yet? Why not Sign up today
Create an account  

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Question(s?) about aircraft

So I've recently decided to expand my  knowledge of FTD and develop my own aircraft. I have come across some very odd behavior.

1: I added wings, tail planes, the whole lot onto my bomber and proceeded to watch it head into orbit and do barrel rolls all day long.

(Stay with me now)

2: I removed all the wings, tail planes, everything and just used thrusts to find out my aircraft flies perfectly now.

I am.. SO many levels of confused and concerned. Is there something I'm missing in this or is that a valid means of aircraft operation? Any help or advice is appreciated and yes I have read some of the guides on here and tries to use their knowledge though I don't quite understand some of it as much as I would like to.

That would be called a "thrustercraft". It is a perfectly valid means of aircraft operation. Many military aircraft nowadays don't even use their wings for lift all that much thanks to things like vectored thrust, VTOL, and extremely high thrust to weight ratios.

Wings are an alternative to using purely thruster-based craft, and usually more efficient. If your plane flew like this it may have had too many.

Forces in this game aren't extremely realistic and thrust forces are particularly so. It doesn't take much to get a brick flying with jet engines.

If you want to get a "realistic" flying plane, you might try dedicated heliblades to start, and always be aware of where your center of thrust is relative to center of mass (esp if you have wing blocks, which apply a passive vertical thrust).

true aircraft flight is all about balancing lift created from forward movement...............in FtD getting the balance right is possible, usually the faster it goes the less sensitive it is.............. even if you get it right the flight Ai seems to allow altitude gains or is unable to correct it, forcing you to make your craft balance off, so it tends to lose altitude ...........in the old days i would put more down thrusters than up thrusters to fix this problem, now we have altitude and pitch PIDs which work alot better, but can add alot of complexity on top of something your trying to understand(always better to make something fly good before you add them)..........

once you have something balanced and flying right, you have to test it in combat, where destroying one block can throw off balance .............. this is the reason you don't see alot of pure flyers and thruster craft usually make up a majority of aircraft..........small flyers are hard to hit , but just aren't effective, more of an annoyance..................large flyers are more effective, but get hit easier, throwing off their balance easier , usually causing its loss

thruster craft are usually easier to balance, because most of them are balanced so they can just hover in place, without dealing with weird flight and balance characteristics( alot easier to observe an imbalance also)..............adding redundant thrusters to a balanced thruster craft usually doesn't affect anything negatively, adding more wings to a pure flyer needs more balancing and is more to get shot..............
The animal will not sacrifice the part for the whole.

Been testing non cheezy vectored thrust and found it much more usable tyan one may think. It takes time to configure tho.
The hardest part is the "stabilization when damaged" to me.

Ps.: speaking of huge jets on spin blocks
[Image: CUXgqyd.jpg]

(2018-11-02, 01:56 AM)BioPhoenix Wrote: That would be called a "thrustercraft". It is a perfectly valid means of aircraft operation. Many military aircraft nowadays don't even use their wings for lift all that much thanks to things like vectored thrust, VTOL, and extremely high thrust to weight ratios.

Wings are an alternative to using purely thruster-based craft, and usually more efficient. If your plane flew like this it may have had too many.

There are only a handful of military fighters capable of VTOL and only slightly more that utilize vectored thrust.  All tend to have very high thrust to weight ratios but aside from a few thrust-intensive maneuvers (such as near-vertical climbs) they all very much use their wings for lift.  What their power allows them to do is get away with proportionally smaller wings.

To answer the OP:
-long ago the wings, tailplanes, etc, were very weak components so you needed a tone.  to 'fix' this they were massively buffed so you can now lift quite a lot with only a few and as a result they tend to suffer from overshoot/too much power when used on small designs.  Thrustercraft are much easier to configure and generally more responsive to complex control schemes due to the ease with which their power can be adjusted.  As such I would suggest going with thrustercraft and saving 'real' plane components only for aesthetic or skill builds.  If you're looking for a good example of a competitive 'real' plane look at the Steel Strider Hake but also note how it reacts to even light damage.
-Do not bring forth an argument as fact that can be disproven with a 10 minute Google search.

Thanks for all the replies guys.

I get it much better now.