Not a member yet? Why not Sign up today
Create an account  

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Flight Mechanics

TLDR: Asking for help getting my toy jet flying. Blueprint attached at end.

Hi there, I would not really consider myself new per say, but have been playing on and off for a few years.

I recently designed a small jet I was very happy with and it worked well. I wanted to make a larger version of it and ran into some problems. Basically it would always loose altitude while doing a roll turn. I have also tried messing with the roll to turn angle deviation and the roll angle itself.  And if I turned rolling off, it would go into space. Not really sure what I am missing here. I would love for some Aerial AI experts to take a look (at the blueprint)  and tell me what I can tweak to get this thing flying.

You can test the blueprint by pasting it into your C:\Users\{USERNAME}\Documents\From The Depths\Player Profiles\{PROFILENAME}\Constructables  directory.

Here are some screenshots of it:

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

.blueprint   Mid Jet.blueprint (Size: 173.9 KB / Downloads: 4)

On the Aerial AI card option you have "The most extreme bank angle" or something like that.
that is how many degrees the plane will roll when performing a roll turn.
if you are losing altitude then you should put it to like 80° if then you gain altitude set it to 85° and so on Smile
There is always a weak-spot if you search Hard enough.

If you fire enough AP at that shield, at some point you're going to come through.

There is no "best" I wouldn't even say there is anything universally good, Good is subjective, I find everything bad even if it's in theory good against this or that.

(2018-10-14, 12:07 AM)Skyer Wrote: On the Aerial AI card option you have "The most extreme bank angle" or something like that.
that is how many degrees the plane will roll when performing a roll turn.
if you are losing altitude then you should put it to like 80° if then you gain altitude set it to 85° and so on Smile

I appreciate the thought Skyer.

I did try several settings on that particular slider. I wasn't able to get it to work.

Then could you send a Blueprint and a picture?
There is always a weak-spot if you search Hard enough.

If you fire enough AP at that shield, at some point you're going to come through.

There is no "best" I wouldn't even say there is anything universally good, Good is subjective, I find everything bad even if it's in theory good against this or that.

Had to redo the tail of a factory built chinese RC plane (1kg) because of this irl.

The vertical stabilisator was too small and badly positionned/balanced.
And it was fixed x)

If i remeber well, adding more thrust could help in FtD

(Too lazy to get the right english vocabulary, hope it's understandable)
[Image: CUXgqyd.jpg]

(2018-10-14, 10:55 AM)Mr.YaR Wrote: Had to redo the tail of a factory built chinese RC plane (1kg) because of this irl.

And it was fixed x)

I was thinking it was a thrust thing too. I wonder if the AI expects the thrust to be a certain amount relative to it's size.

(2018-10-14, 09:00 AM)Skyer Wrote: Then could you send a Blueprint and a picture?

I went ahead and uploaded some screenshots of the vehicle.

I didn't know if you wanted screenshots of it loosing altitude or not. So I took one of that too.

(2018-10-14, 10:55 AM)Mr.YaR Wrote: Had to redo the tail of a factory built chinese RC plane (1kg) because of this irl.

And it was fixed x)

It does seem to do a little bit better at gaining altitude when it goes faster. When I upped the speed from 54 m/s to 86 m/s,  it was suddenly able to climb to an elevation of 140 instead of 70 or so. So it did double it's climb before it ultimately fell. I wonder if It needs to hit the elevation setting of 230 or so before it stops falling.

Okay, I was able to get it to fly properly. Thanks everyone for all your help.

These were the solutions:
Increase speed to 87 m/s
Decrease roll to turn to 30 degrees
Decrease most extreme roll angle to 90 degrees
Add Arial Pitch PID.

Good news x) 90 roll angle is good. (No idea what your craft is supposed to do, but from my experience it's a good angle hehe)
[Image: CUXgqyd.jpg]