Not a member yet? Why not Sign up today
Create an account  

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Dear St Nick, All I wan't for Christmas

I know the joke's been done before, But as far as FTD goes, Nick is Santa.

I have now, something like 1200+ hours in this game, and it is by FAR, one of my most played games to date, I love the designing of various craft, But I always run into an Issue, and it's an issue that plagues every FTD player and ability/skill and know how have little effect on it.

LAG, particularly when it's caused by large block counts.

So, in knowing this my wish list for this Christmas is as follows...

- 6x1x1 and 8x1x1 meter beams, definitely for wood and metal, but also for the other types too.

I did a quick calculation on my 170 meter Battlecruiser,  with just that one addition my Battlecruiser would drop from 10k blocks to around 5-5.5k

I imagine this would be much much easier on the computer.

While I am here I would also like to see a 2 meter and 3-meter version of the beam slope diagonal cut.

I know we all like to see block confetti, So I imagine having it so when a 6 or 8-meter beam breaks you could simply have it break into 3 or 4 pieces visually. If this is more demanding on a system, then a simple option to turn it off (so its only the one block) would probably solve this.

This alone I would be more than happy with (As I imagine a lot of builders would, some creations even if just for fun can get pretty big) but If your thinking of going a step further to helping reduce block count.

Laser systems.

3 cavities and 4 large pumps are a standard spammed configuration for lasers, either for LAM's or Offensive lasers, Having this made into a single block (With the same stats/size etc) would also help go a long way, It would turn a 7 part section into 1 part.

The other big culprit is of course fuel engines.

There is such a thing as needless complexity, and fuel engines (Perticuallyturbo charged ones) are easily the most complex, time consuming, fiddly and part hungry system in the game. And most people simply get a fuel engine platform off the workshop (Myself included) and just copy past the engines into their new craft.

So a suggestion to make fuel engines easier to build, less part hungry and easier to balance is as follows.

Keep the fuel engine generator, then have the following 'modules' to add to it.

1x1x1 engine moduel - Provides say 100 power

3x3x1 engine module - provides 900 power (Based of the 1x1x1)

5x5x1 engine module - provides 2500 power (Based of the 1x1x1)

Simply attach whatever you need to the engine generator for your needs.

As far as fuel efficiency goes, in the Fuel engine generator, a simple setting to have the engine run in SUpercharged/Turbo or Injector mode.

Supercharged is most efficient when less than 20% of the engine power is used.

Turbo charged is most efficient when at full throttle. (100%)

Injector mode gives the engine a 20% boost to engine power. (For a 5x5x1 engine moduel the power would get boosted from 2500 to 3000 for example) At the cost of bad fuel efficiency and extra heat (Allowing for easier detection)

Keep the exhausts, as each part would need to have its gasses vented (Plus they have uses as Decor too Big Grin)

As for the other engine parts, no idea. Some make good decor, up to you I guess.

With just these changes ship block count on even the biggest ships would drop in half or sometimes even less.

Yes, there will always be those select few that build things of ridiculous size. But most of the time they are doing so just because it looks nice, not to actually use in a campain.

And I feel 200meters is about right for a battleship in FTD (given gun sizes and comparing to 'Battleship' type vessels already in the campains.

Thankyou for taking the time to read this Santa, and have a happy holiday.

elexier

8x1x1 and 6x1x1 beams wouldn't come close to halving your total blockcount. All the stuff inside the hull would still be primarily 1x1 blocks.

Doing that to engines would ruin them as any sort of interesting mechanic. Having them recalculate less often would probably help more. I really wouldn't use them for any large vehicle anyway. Over like 50k+ power they're unbearable. Try using steam turbines and batteries in big ships and throttle them with ACBs. They're considerably more efficient than people seem to think and they don't kill your framerate. And they're silent. And don't require 5x5xX volume. And use a lot fewer blocks. Steam turbines and batteries are mostly 3x3 blocks instead of 1x1s.

Steam engines are the future.

(2018-10-11, 05:56 PM)Pastor of Muppets Wrote: 8x1x1 and 6x1x1 beams wouldn't come close to halving your total blockcount. All the stuff inside the hull would still be primarily 1x1 blocks.

I worked it out. trust me.

But to simplify for you.

A 200 meter ship is 50 4m beams

Lets say 30 meters wide.

30x50 = 1500 blocks (Lets call it 1200 to account for shaping)

Double that 2400 (for a layer of armor)

use that same number for the sides (Im being generous as my armour is 3 meters thick at the sides, 4 in some)

2400 x 3 (Deck and side armour) = 7200

add another 800ish for the underside of the hull, thats 8000

Half that (8 meter beam = 2 4 meter beams) thats chopping 4000 blocks JUST on the basic armoured hull, Not counting the super structure or bulk heads, or reinfoced sesitive stuff (Ammo/Mainfraims ect)

I would EASILY cut 5000 blocks off my ship with Just 6 and 8 meter beams, (Give or take a beam)

As for the engines, It was just a suggestion. Fuel engines imo are far from fun, their annoying, fiddly, and incredibly cpu hungry. They need changing in some way that means they get spammed less, It was just an idea based off the electric engine we currently have witch can be upscaled to exactly what you need (Assuming you can charge it ofc)

A friend put it a good way when he saw how complex fuel engines were.

That should be a game of it's own, akin to something like Polybridge, you get a contract to fulfill certain paramiters, and build an engine accordingly.

Point is, Fuel engines in thier current state are the most complex, fiddly, part hungry CPU intensive system in the game, and it does need adressing.

Is your ship hollow?

I would like to politely but firmly disagree on the engine issue. I believe that the engines we currently have add a depth of customization that currently isn't available in any other game, and getting rid of that would be getting rid of something that feels like the core of FTD: choice. The system you propose would require many changes to existing craft, and would create another linear system similar to steam, and i feel that that is a great loss.

(2018-10-11, 06:40 PM)Pastor of Muppets Wrote: Is your ship hollow?

Far from hollow, already taken down DWG, Onix watch and WF

Part count/stats

SHe has a full LAM system, sheilding.

So no, its not hollow, I know whats in my ship. Smile

(2018-10-11, 06:51 PM)Blarint Wrote: I would like to politely but firmly disagree on the engine issue. I believe that the engines we currently have add a depth of customization that currently isn't available in any other game, and getting rid of that would be getting rid of something that feels like the core of FTD: choice. The system you propose would require many changes to existing craft, and would create another linear system similar to steam, and i feel that that is a great loss.

Sorry, no idea how to do multi quotes XD

While I do agree, I have to say every craft review I have seen from lets players/youtubers or even just written reviews, engines are the last thing anyone talks about. probably because most players just copy paste an engine off a test raft from the workshop (Myself included)

As for many changed to existing craft, any update that adds or changes something about this game will cause that. the current missile update will cause SOO much craft to get changed overhauled purely down to the cost of missiles (That poor Blackcurrant and Hornet's nest, even the flying Squirrel went from about 800 to 24k cost oof)

And to be honest, I'm not really sure what to do about fuel engines.

If we got some kind of refined fuel for steam engines, fuel engines would stop being used for the most part.

If we increase the power of fuel engines then they would over shadow steam.

The reason we use fuel engines is because of cost efficiency,  the limiting factor is LAG.

So something HAS to give. Either...

- Optimization of the game (And multicore support) - Hard -
- Buffing the power of fuel engines (A balancing nightmare)
- a redesign of fuel engines so fewer parts thus fewer claculations (A pain)

or buffing the efficiency of steam, witch could make fuel obsoleate if over buffed.

Don't get me wrong, I love the creativity in this game, I use engine parts as decor.

Just...something has to give, and seeing just how complex fuel engines are compared to every other system in the game, I personally feel the complexity might have to get toned down a little or else fuel engines themselves will cripple the creativity of this game by severely limiting the size one can build to.

Not disagreeing, just pointing out my observations

There are two possibilities:
1.) Your math is wrong. It's probably off somewhat but not enough to change much.
2.) Your 11,000 block ship has 10,000 blocks of hull protecting 1,000 blocks of useful things (internals, weapons, etc). 1,000 blocks is 10x10x10. Even if you figure an average size of 4m (very unlikely if you're using fuel engines) for those blocks, that's still only 10x10x40. Make your hull smaller.

I mean this isn't actually a bad idea

I'd also love triangles and inverted triangles that are of dimensions other than x by 1 so I can have vertical slopes that cleanly merge with triangles, but the number of different blocks you'd have to add would be a bit daunting.

"6-8m beams"
Yeah but then I have to retrofit everything because they'll be more durable than 4m blocks but I don't want to have to cause I'm lazy.
"If it's stupid but it works, it's not stupid."-TheMightyJingles.

My last name is Proctor
The Proctor is a ship in the game
Yay. I'm happy.

Blueprint thread: http://www.fromthedepthsgame.com/forum/s...?tid=28006