Not a member yet? Why not Sign up today
Create an account  

Poll: Would you be interested?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Definitely
27.27%
6 27.27%
Possibly, but I would need to see the detailed rules
59.09%
13 59.09%
Probably not
9.09%
2 9.09%
You are crazy
4.55%
1 4.55%
Total 22 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

• 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average

Gauging interest in a strategy game

I agree about the appeal of bringing your own designs, at least when they succeed--but to keep a game running it needs to keep its players interested, and in my experience badly outclassed builders lose interest. (And players can run their own designs, as long as they are willing to outbid the other players for the right to use them.)

Making a legitimately challenging single-player campaign is out of my scope--several teams are working on custom campaigns with substantially tougher designs, and a more intelligent campaign AI is in Nick's hands.
Allr andask.

There could be some small discount for purchasing own designs due to smaller "logistics" costs.
primum non nocere

So35 was fun while it lasted. I haven't played in ages, but this one might get my interest. I like the separations between shipbuilders and players. I could build things, but i won't have the time to play a strategy game. And maybe there are more like me, or the other way around, so this might get some more involvement and people wanting to contribute since they are not "forced" into both roles. But i think a theme of some sort should be in place. Not a very restrictive one, to keep designs flowing, but still a theme.

Anyway, will keep an eye on this one. Might be on to something here.

(2018-09-25, 11:08 PM)Blothorn Wrote: I agree about the appeal of bringing your own designs, at least when they succeed--but to keep a game running it needs to keep its players interested, and in my experience badly outclassed builders lose interest. (And players can run their own designs, as long as they are willing to outbid the other players for the right to use them.)

I agree that keeping players interested for it to be successful is key, but would expand it to both badly outclassed builders, and badly outclassed strategists (You can build as well as you like, it ain't gonna stop you from being steamrolled by a micro-managing wizard). The best way to maximise player interest is by maximising the 'enjoyment-to-effort ratio' - which can be boiled down to more battles, less building, and minimal logistic crap - for all three sides of the endeavour. I think with the experience you've had playing (or attempting to play) Storm-alikes before, and with your coding skill you should be able to nail it better than I could.

(2018-09-24, 05:58 PM)Blothorn Wrote: My inclination is to avoid themes at least for an initial run ... Even walkability takes time to check, and would restrict vehicles like small fighters (and if they were given an exception I would expect disputes over what fell under the exception). And I, at least, do not have a problem with the meta-brick style of design--the goal of a class system, if used, would be encouraging variety.

Continuing from the above, the less restrictions on designs the better (for a theme-less Storm-alike), as it reduces load on checking and allows more creativity (at the expense of meta brick/wedge) - just limiting simple attributes would be easiest for all (ie. block count, RP cost, Certain blocks/weapon systems). A class system could have both advantages and disadvantages - it makes life easier for avid builders knowing they only have to make 3-6 types of design and iterate, rather than compete on niche levels; however it can also squeeze out weaker builders who could flourish in niche design areas big players might not explore. Both sides of this argument can wax and wane depending how strict, varied, and numerous class rules are. 

Would certainly be up for taking part in this if it does come to fruition (life depending) - as much as I do think you are not-entirely sane for trying. (you certainly won't be after it)

(2018-09-24, 05:58 PM)Blothorn Wrote: My inclination is to avoid themes at least for an initial run--BP checking played a large role in both So35 and Ho44's collapse...
Strongly disagree: 
For So35 it was a combination of natural player burnout/irl requirements, and pre-existing distrust in the rFTD community that was only exacerbated by peoples perception of bias in relatively green BP checkers.
For Ho44 it was mainly due to an undersized and under-invested Team to run it, which led to many things running over time and without being fully completed. 
(And for both of them it could be considered myself as a major cause of failure, for various actions during and before both events)
Fear me, I have: [Image: cptnskills.jpg]

"Ny lhig daa fir hammag, dty woalley sheese" - A phrase to remember in times of need

- CptnCleator / YnCaptan
Independent Realistic Builder, Manxman, Yamakaze fanboy