Not a member yet? Why not Sign up today
Create an account  

• 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average

Sep/October sprint mega thread

With the new missile overhaul can we please get a new missile controller so we can have anti-missile missiles on turrets become workable, as is they're simply not functional since we cant have missile turrets track missiles which leads to the system been rather inefficient which wasn't so much of a problem before due to how cheap missile systems where but now where forking out substantially more in materiel/ammo cost and there IMO worst/less efficient than the other options its a bit of a problem (At least for me since i like to use anti missile missiles to intercept at long range where CIWS and LAMS are less effective).

Also I find it somewhat strange that small missiles are in my experience slower and less nimble than medium sized ones without excessive use of fins and high burn rate thrusts, Over all tho I'm loving the changes.

(2018-10-15, 02:14 PM)horsman Wrote: Also I find it somewhat strange that small missiles are in my experience slower and less nimble than medium sized ones without excessive use of fins and high burn rate thrusts, Over all tho I'm loving the changes.

Not for me, you may have the fins in wrong locations (best for turning is all the way front and back) and may be very long
remember that the relative length to caliber per missile per part is the same on all.
There is always a weak-spot if you search Hard enough.

If you fire enough AP at that shield, at some point you're going to come through.

There is no "best" I wouldn't even say there is anything universally good, Good is subjective, I find everything bad even if it's in theory good against this or that.

I am loving the new updates!

devtest - 2.2.28.1 - Missiles have too much health.

6 block / 12 module missile has 640 health, even without reinforcements.

To intercept, you need:

- 128 30mm FLAK shells
- 14 88mm FLAK shells
- 6 small interceptor missiles
- 3 200mm FLAK shells
- 2 medium interceptor missiles
- 1 200mm HE shells

Big missiles have over 10 000 hp, and I assume they were designed that they cannot be intercepted.

P.S. Last time I played this active was year ago, now everything has 20 times more damage and 20 times more health... is this FTD experiencing a superinflation? You could just reduce all damage and health by 100x already?
- When crams were introduced, every block got 4x more health and 2x more armor... crams were immune to nerfs, so everything else got buffed instead. Balancing is delicate process, and I wish devs could switch their nerf/buff sledgehammer into a regular hammer.

(Yesterday, 02:46 PM)SHOT(by)GUN Wrote: P.S. Last time I played this active was year ago, now everything has 20 times more damage and 20 times more health... is this FTD experiencing a superinflation? You could just reduce all damage and health by 100x already?
- When crams were introduced, every block got 4x more health and 2x more armor... crams were immune to nerfs, so everything else got buffed instead. Balancing is delicate process, and I wish devs could switch their nerf/buff sledgehammer into a regular hammer.

You are confusing FtD with some other game.
500mm APS HE does 3K damage and been that way for ages, same for lasers, same for PAC(multiplier changes and a decent port nerf so a bit weaker overall).
Some things got shifted around and armor got a necessary buff that came long after CRAMs and had nothing to do with them(APS was, and is still much stronger).

(Yesterday, 02:46 PM)SHOT(by)GUN Wrote: 6 block / 12 module missile has 640 health, even without reinforceaments.

Yes, that's intended.

(Yesterday, 03:29 PM)draba Wrote:
(Yesterday, 02:46 PM)SHOT(by)GUN Wrote: 6 block / 12 module missile has 640 health, even without reinforceaments.

Yes, that's intended.

I fear that CIWS might be overlooked, iirc missiles used to have 100 to 300 hp, so 150flak damage was ok as CIWS, 1 to 2 hits to kill.

Now that missiles have ~640hp, FLAK CIWS seem to be in-effective. I suppose thats ok, if the missiles get bigger hitboxes and are meant to be killed with different warheads? I feel like all missiles currently have 2x too much health, but I haven't tested with CIWS enough to say for sure.

Or is the meta about to change and I should not worry?

FLAK vs small missiles?
APHE vs medium missiles?
KINETIC vs big missiles (big hitboxes) ?

(Yesterday, 05:04 PM)SHOT(by)GUN Wrote: I fear that CIWS might be overlooked, iirc missiles used to have 100 to 300 hp, so 150flak damage was ok as CIWS, 1 to 2 hits to kill.

Now that missiles have ~640hp, FLAK CIWS seem to be in-effective. I suppose thats ok, if the missiles get bigger hitboxes and are meant to be killed with different warheads? I feel like all missiles currently have 2x too much health, but I haven't tested with CIWS enough to say for sure.

Or is the meta about to change and I should not worry?

FLAK vs small missiles?
APHE vs medium missiles?
KINETIC vs big missiles (big hitboxes) ?

Standard flak CIWS in FtD was/is beltfed 400mm flak+fuse+GP, that's a fraction of the cost of these missiles even if they aren't too clumped up.
Smaller flak is for low detection range S missiles where being close/tracking speed can matter(but still mostly for style, for APS bigger is just better).

Flak(or any hard defense) isn't meant to be cost-effective against the same missile with bodies(~2K HP), they already do less damage with the HE/frag => body switch.

Looking back at what Nick said early on in this thread, I noticed the supposed APS debuff. Wondering about this, I came up with an idea. What about giving a debuff to the payloads of large shells, but make the diminishing returns on multiple payloads less punishing? This would make larger shells better than smaller shells, resulting in slower-firerate guns of large calibers better while still retaining the usefulness of small CIWS guns. An elegant solution if you ask me.
Everything in From the Depths can be solved by a large amount of high-caliber HE shells.

Good to see that FtD is back in full dev galore!

Will check out the new changes, they look very nice indeed.

Why not just create a diminishing returns cooler curve that becomes harsher the higher the caliber? Essentially force all but the most absurdly large high caliber guns to have reload cycles between once every 10 seconds to once every second at most. Smaller calibers can have higher firerates, mostly starting below 150mm or so. While you're at it, remove diminishing returns on all modules, and increase the velocity/accuracy of large caliber guns. If you have to, tweak the damage per caliber point scaling to make sure smaller low caliber spamguns never outdps larger caliber guns.