Not a member yet? Why not Sign up today
Create an account  

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

My beef with the game...or beefs

Hi all.

This is not meant as a rant, more as an observation of two things in particular that are irritating/annoying, along with possible fixes that won't actually break ANYTHING. (I promise...mostly)

The first thing is logistics.

Or more to the point, moving around resources, Material and fuel (And later on Ammo?)

The UI for this I must admit confuses me to no end, Maybe I'm just not getting it, but hopefully it can either be simplified a little, or some lovable person can point me in the direction of a youtube Vid that explains this for dummies...(Puts on the D party hat :Big Grin )

The second is kinda related.

FUEL

I can understand needing small fuel tanks with fuel in them for use in small craft, or just to get something moving, But the large fuel tanks are crazy expensive, And this is what kind of ruins the logistics (mentioned above)

Example, you play with local materials, you want to make a tanker to transport fuel, just TEN of the large fuel tanks will cost you 9000 material.

Because they are full.

I often find the cost of craft don't really go up until you start adding large amounts of fuel, and this kind of defeats the fuel refineries.

When playing centralized material, it's often MUCH easier and quicker (For small to medium craft) to just scrap the craft out of fuel and rebuild it on the front line, instant fuel tanks FULL.

My proposal simply add empty variants of the fuel tanks (Or at least the biggest ones) This would help MASSIVELY cut the costs of a lot of designs and give a more active roll for the refineries.

This next point is more of a personal plea.

Can we PRETTY PLEASE with extra cram shells on top, have a upgraded version of the simple laser.

Nothing OP, just the same thing but with better range (like 1KM) and a little more AP, I imagine this upgraded one would use some engine power in ADDITION to the ammo.

The reason being I have been REALLY trying to make a very specific type of weapon, For those famillier with homeworld 2, It's basically the main weapon of the Progenitor Dreadnaught, And simple lasers work EXACTLY fine for this, unfortunately, their range and AP is kinda lacking, I have tried using normal lasers but I cant get the effect right. I have made a small Ion friend type thing, that uses simple lasers and it's nice watching it slice the small DWG ships practically in half (The smaller tug boat type designs) and I LOVE the firing effect, duration etc, I just wish there was a slightly better version.

For those unfamilier, it's this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXSplY0J3XA

Hope it wasn't too ranty and was clear enough.

Happy hunting

On the simple laser front, they used to be stronger, but they were super OP.
A great nation is not a nation that rules the world. A great nation is a nation that realizes they don't have to.

(2018-09-13, 07:38 PM)Unhinged mechanic Wrote: On the simple laser front, they used to be stronger, but they were super OP.

I know Smile

If I recall correctly it was becasue yes they were strong on their own, but also they like partical cannons had no counter at the time, Smoke and laser shield's did nothing agaisnt them.

So they had there damage ect nurfed (Not sure if the range was nurfed...has it always been 500 meteres) and the correct counters were applied making them even weaker.

I'm not asking for a more damaging version, just one with longer range and a little more AP at the cost of engine power. Maybe even work it so that these 'Advanced simple lasers' (man thats weird to say) use a 'little' more power than an equivilant laser system would in addition to the ammo cost. (Or even battery power, so they work a little like a hybrid between a Partical cannon and a rail gun)

A simple slider to say how much battery power to use, this would effect either range and AP (fixed damage) or Damage and AP (Fixed range @1000m)

I just love the way simple lasers work, once they killed the block their tageting, they move to the next along the ship, stripping away weaker stuff as it goes until it needs to reload/recharge.

Ironic that my favorite weapon in the game is the simple laser...I would just like one thats a little more flexible with its range and use. (Simple lasers make excelent close range AA guns Big Grin )

Reason simple lasers are no more powerful is to get you to start using the systems in the game. For your Progenitor Dreadnaught, you can build a laser inside and have it transferred to your turret. These systems are much more effective for game play as you need more power, as it is the range restriction on simple lasers is there for a reason, per unit of length they are are much stronger than any other weapon system, and cheap.

Yeah, the UI and the supply route system is a bit byzantine. I made a suggestion for empty fuel tanks:

https://brilliantskies.customercase.com/...fuel-tanks

I may be able to help with the logistics part, I use supply groups extensively in my campaigns. I tend to leave my HQ city and cargo vehicles in play for the immersion factor, it's nice to have shipping traffic in port coming and going or airliners passing overhead. I will try to explain:

-Set up a looped fleetmove waypoint for the cargo vehicle between the unit/structure it takes resources from and the unit/structure it gives to.
-Assign the same supply group to the units and the cargo vehicle in the resource view (it helps if this is a unique supply group not assigned to other units), do not set the material percentage on the cargo vehicle (or fuel/ammo percentage, depends on what you're transporting).
-In the supply group screen, assign the unit material is taken from and the unit the material should be given to, tick "force feed" on.
-Set the cargo vehicle to "fleetmove" and let it go on it's waypoint, it should transfer material but, may not always take a full load.

You can also set up a supply route to take resources from multiple units, like a cargo ship picking up resources from multiple resource-gathering fortresses and dropping it off at a land-based HQ, for example.

Hope this helps a bit. Playing with localized resources can be real fun once you get the hang of supply groups.