Not a member yet? Why not Sign up today
Create an account  

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

No armor stacking through airgaps?

This isn't really a normal question about game mechanics, so I guess I'll drop it here:

Is it a bug that armor stacking bonus does not apply through airgaps at all? Even 1m of air nullifies any armor bonus; I could've sworn that it worked differently in the past.

Nope, it's always been that way, and it does make since, since air can be easily compressed or simply moved
(2017-04-20, 06:54 PM)Hikari Wrote: I made something that has an impact of a type 1a supernova. The projectile already breaks laws of physics by going way past the speed of light.

2000mm HE Dakka Enthusiast

I guess I must've confused with something. Makes it really weird to me how often I've seen people talk about using multiple airgaps.

Air gaps are mainly used to deal with HESH and HEAT. This comes at the cost of breaking the armour stacking and making it bulkier.
primum non nocere

(2018-09-07, 08:08 AM)harnas1977 Wrote: Air gaps are mainly used to deal with HESH and HEAT. This comes at the cost of breaking the armour stacking and making it bulkier.

I know; almost all my vessels use an air gap and I love HESH for my secondaries. Just the idea to use seperate airgaps seems weird to me.

Tanks that use spaced armor to increase Armor against KE, have TINY airgaps, a 1 meter gap is huge
and it always has been this way
There is always a weak-spot if you search Hard enough.

If you fire enough AP at that shield, at some point you're going to come through.

There is no "best" I wouldn't even say there is anything universally good, Good is subjective, I find everything bad even if it's in theory good against this or that.

You also see spaced armor with 1m+ gaps on battleships, where the outer armor acts as a decapping belt (and it is important that the armor be spaced widely enough to let the cap cleanly separate before the shell hits the main belt). But again, this does prevent the two layers of armor from reinforcing each other and is weaker against shells that do not lose their cap than a single belt of the combined thickness would be. I think FTD's implementation is fine.
Allr andask.

On a sidenote, in the devtest slopes do form airgraps by themselves.

(2018-09-12, 06:58 PM)temeter Wrote: On a sidenote, in the devtest slopes do form airgraps by themselves.

interesting, but do they stack from the "airgap" side?
primum non nocere

(2018-09-12, 09:41 PM)harnas1977 Wrote:
(2018-09-12, 06:58 PM)temeter Wrote: On a sidenote, in the devtest slopes do form airgraps by themselves.

interesting, but do they stack from the "airgap" side?

No, the gap breaks stacking now. They really act like their shape implies. Nick also made us able to run them up.