Not a member yet? Why not Sign up today
Create an account  

• 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average

T-109 MTAFV "Ultimatum"

The shell in question, same gun, same loaders

[Image: 08F2F8BFC6F39190E446B94F51AB716232D8AB9B]

And it's frontal penetration of the turret.

[Image: 35A9B9BFA4371AC173A1EA7C42589D4B3F0F6539]

frontal plate penetrations were achieved the same way as the user above: railguns, HEAT, HESH.
-Do not bring forth an argument as fact that can be disproven with a 10 minute Google search.

(2018-09-14, 08:32 PM)Lincrono Wrote: Too long

Didn't much appreciate the unnecessary attitude, but helpful. I didn't know regular SABOT rounds can do that much damage, I'll have to improve on that. I also was wanting to see if I can improve on the firepower in a smaller space, as that allows me to create a more dense turret with the same damage.

How would I make armor be able to stop rounds like that? I thought this amount of armor was unnecessary as no one has ever really tested it and gave me feedback.

From my testing, no kinetic shell will ever penetrate more than 3m of HA. Most won't go through 2 either. So that's a way. Do note this is only for 4m beams, using 3m of 2m beams won't stop anything large!
My testing also revealed that the best shell for HA is... gunpowder-solid-solid-sabothead. I'm not sure if I missed something, as that is for 500mm, but using a base bleeder ALWAYS made the shell atleast 30% less powerful.

Your armor is basically impenetrable on the hull's front, however turret armor may be way easier to get through. I tested against a brand new tank with a rather small railgun, 8m shells with the setup mentioned above (with 4 or 3 railgun casings) and around 250k power every shell. It was not able to pierce the front however somehow popped the turret on a lucky shot.
HESH on the other hand was more effective at destroying this tank, with a 4m 500mm HESH shell reliably damaging it. It's partly due the way HESH works, or atleast the way I use it, which would be destroying surface components AND chipping away armor. Reliable damage to the tracks and a cut barrel means it will be too busy reparing wheels to repair the barrel. I personally dislike repairing tanks but it's ok lol
[Image: 2e148b3926.gif] [Image: wSoy1rk.gif]
This is why you don't make fighter pilots fly bomber aircraft...

(2018-09-15, 02:35 PM)Dominolan Wrote:
(2018-09-14, 08:32 PM)Lincrono Wrote: Too long

Didn't much appreciate the unnecessary attitude, but helpful. I didn't know regular SABOT rounds can do that much damage, I'll have to improve on that. I also was wanting to see if I can improve on the firepower in a smaller space, as that allows me to create a more dense turret with the same damage.
Given that I am trying to assist you an accusation that I did know what i was talking about was unappreciated, so yes, my tone shifted.
Something I think you tanks would use really well, given their size, are light or medium railguns.  If you move around the fuel, material storage, and repair ability to take less of the premium space in the hull you have more than enough space for batteries and a larger engine.  even a gun drawing a few hundred power per shot would let you eliminate the fins from your shells and use more GP or warhead modules, while being more accurate.  medium draw railguns pulling a few thousand to a few tens of thousand power per shot would give you high speed/pin-point accurate HEAT or high speed, high accuracy, heavy hitting SABOT/APHE.  both of these would probably allow you to shift from 6m+ shells to 2-6m shells while increasing overall per-shot firepower and upping overall fire-rate.
-Do not bring forth an argument as fact that can be disproven with a 10 minute Google search.

(2018-09-15, 07:22 PM)ThunderPanzer Wrote: From my testing, no kinetic shell will ever penetrate more than 3m of HA. Most won't go through 2 either. So that's a way. Do note this is only for 4m beams, using 3m of 2m beams won't stop anything large!
My testing also revealed that the best shell for HA is... gunpowder-solid-solid-sabothead. I'm not sure if I missed something, as that is for 500mm, but using a base bleeder ALWAYS made the shell atleast 30% less powerful.

Your armor is basically impenetrable on the hull's front, however turret armor may be way easier to get through. I tested against a brand new tank with a rather small railgun, 8m shells with the setup mentioned above (with 4 or 3 railgun casings) and around 250k power every shell. It was not able to pierce the front however somehow popped the turret on a lucky shot.
HESH on the other hand was more effective at destroying this tank, with a 4m 500mm HESH shell reliably damaging it. It's partly due the way HESH works, or atleast the way I use it, which would be destroying surface components AND chipping away armor. Reliable damage to the tracks and a cut barrel means it will be too busy reparing wheels to repair the barrel. I personally dislike repairing tanks but it's ok lol

if 250k passes for 'light' in your fleets you're putting out some spectacular DAKKA. using the shell posted above, and converting this vehicle to a railgun tank using only 90k power per shot i can achieve 130AP and 63k damage on the shell, which is enough to penetrate completely through this vehicle.  Most conventional kinetic cannons won't pen multi-layer HA but some can, and it's a task railguns are purpose-built to accomplish.  I'd be really interested to see the 250k gun, just to marvel at it.

(2018-09-15, 07:22 PM)ThunderPanzer Wrote: From my testing, no kinetic shell will ever penetrate more than 3m of HA. Most won't go through 2 either. So that's a way. Do note this is only for 4m beams, using 3m of 2m beams won't stop anything large!

Yes HESH is super effective against this kind of armor, as the spalling can kill the spin block rather easily, and since the spin block is the only connection point between the armor and the hull, when it's gone, the tank would have no armor.

my leo 2A8 can pen ur frontal armor with its 437mm Railgun (not easy but can pen) (APHE shell)
(the gun of that Leo hat an 8meter loader that helps alot)

the bigger or more anoying thing/problem on ur tank is that selfrepair

i have seen it @ low 70% back to mid 90% in nearly no time
like's strange music Tongue

(2018-09-15, 08:14 PM)Lincrono Wrote: if 250k passes for 'light' in your fleets you're putting out some spectacular DAKKA. using the shell posted above, and converting this vehicle to a railgun tank using only 90k power per shot i can achieve 130AP and 63k damage on the shell, which is enough to penetrate completely through this vehicle.  Most conventional kinetic cannons won't pen multi-layer HA but some can, and it's a task railguns are purpose-built to accomplish.  I'd be really interested to see the 250k gun, just to marvel at it.

The railgun itself must comprise like 40 blocks of the gun itself, which is why I said small lol
Now you made me wonder wether it's actually 250k or 25k, might have read it wrong. I use a 500mm gun, which I know isn't efficient for railguns, I guess I should properly take my time to research railguns before putting one on my tank. And yea it's my third time trying to put a railgun on a tank, and prior attempts have failed quite dramatically.

I'm aware I'm going offtopic at this point, but does anyone really care with the forum's state?

Edit: whoops yes it was a 25k power railgun, my bad.
[Image: 2e148b3926.gif] [Image: wSoy1rk.gif]
This is why you don't make fighter pilots fly bomber aircraft...