Not a member yet? Why not Sign up today
Create an account  

• 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average

Battleship Brawl Season 4! (Tournament Underway!)

(2018-08-23, 12:25 PM)DraWay Wrote: And I don't see any speed limits. Does it mean supersonic unhittable boats technically allowed? With all 6 JBG's turning is fast enough even on my fat heavy boat to make it practically unhittable at higher distance.

I tried to pull this off. Doesn't work at all. The JBG's don't turn you hard enough to dodge. My Curse of Deja Vu prototype couldn't even beat the Curse of Oyashiro-sama, the one with the wireless snooper problem from last season. I had it going 30m/s with the JBG's on a 100m long stick to increase torque.

turn dodging may not work, but rapidly changing speed may work...

This is one of the reasons why I'll go for a short-range ship with as much speed as I can cram into it so I can control the engagement
This statement is false

By the way, any tips for a CRAM and battleship brawl noob? I know my APS stuff but CRAM is a whole different game, and in campaign I just sidestep the issue by dodging or using LAMS. Any advice is welcome, from armouring ideas to CRAM suggestions (although NutterChap's raft helped a bunch there).

(2018-08-23, 02:33 PM)Skullsploder Wrote: By the way, any tips for a CRAM and battleship brawl noob? I know my APS stuff but CRAM is a whole different game, and in campaign I just sidestep the issue by dodging or using LAMS. Any advice is welcome, from armouring ideas to CRAM suggestions (although NutterChap's raft helped a bunch there).
  • Any autoloader with less than 2 connections is a waste
  • Any boxes with less than 3 autoloader connections is a waste
  • Gauge corners can be used to not connect things you don't want to be connected
  • Fewer, bigger guns are better than more, smaller guns
  • Stone and HA are your friends

(2018-08-23, 02:33 PM)Skullsploder Wrote: By the way, any tips for a CRAM and battleship brawl noob? I know my APS stuff but CRAM is a whole different game, and in campaign I just sidestep the issue by dodging or using LAMS. Any advice is welcome, from armouring ideas to CRAM suggestions (although NutterChap's raft helped a bunch there).

On armouring, i think, despite these armour changes, it still mostly the same. Redundancy and blockspam. You basically want them to drown in useless blocks.
Trying to stop or reflect CRAM shell is usually unviable (or impossible), as they have ridiculous damage and easy to setup methods to counter bouncing. So making a wall that will survive hits is unviable. 

Hmm, I can post here old LuckyShot from BBrawl3, with it's few heavy piercing guns it's apparently decent testbed now.
Makes things.
The fastest thing in the universe is sluggish... Years, decades, centuries from star to star.

@Skull
Depending on fusing of incoming shells, you CAN make armor that can last.
Using Time-after-impact fuse, a simple wall that is 'hit', then a relatively large void, will allow the explosion of the shell to happen in empty space. If that outer shell is hard enough, it will have slowed down the shell, bending its path downwards.

So having a delaying fuse like pendepth or TAI, you'd also want lower altitude fuse. If set to -10, a nearby miss still explodes relatively close to the hull, still doing *some* damage.

Also, all the bright-blue boards on the guide raft should contain more specific clues. I would also suggest taking a look at the CRAM stack of the turret in the middle.

As far as protection goes, Im afraid Im in the same boat as Brisby: make sure all your systems are buitl for redundancy. make sure theyre at least explosion-armored: 2 layers of metal should suffice.
Then, you can go the Tomson way (very thin wooden hull, very very large, where AP shells overpen and explosions drown in large empty chambers) or the old ferram way (near-solid design, with a cross-section containing loads of wooden and stone beams, backed by highAC beams.). Or you can try something in between: spaced armor with relatively sturdy layers. Very important: dont forget the deck! Have it armored, possibly hide a full wood/alloy deck inside on waterline, and one on deck height, serving as reserve buoyancy.

CRAM CRASH COURSE

(There is) A time to kill, and a time to heal; a time to break down, and a time to build up;
-Ecclesiastes 3:3

(2018-08-23, 02:45 PM)TheBrisbyMouse Wrote:

I just want to know what's better: fewer powerful guns, or a lot of less powerful guns. Because if you have more guns= you have more redundancy. If you loose one turret and you have only 3 turrets, that's 1/3 of your firepower lost. But if you have 10 turrets (less powerful) and loose one turret, your ship will have 9/10 of it's firepower remaining.

What's your opinion about guns/turret redundancy.

(2018-08-23, 04:07 PM)NutterChap Wrote: make sure theyre at least explosion-armored

AFAIK the explosion has been fixed and explosions no longer phase through the hull. As such, the only reason to put armor on your turret body is to protect against HESH and HEAT particles, which is not a factor in this tournament.
This statement is false

(2018-08-23, 05:30 PM)Armenor Wrote:
(2018-08-23, 02:45 PM)TheBrisbyMouse Wrote:

I just want to know what's better: fewer powerful guns, or a lot of less powerful guns. Because if you have more guns= you have more redundancy. If you loose one turret and you have only 3 turrets, that's 1/3 of your firepower lost. But if you have 10 turrets (less powerful) and loose one turret, your ship will have 9/10 of it's firepower remaining.

What's your opinion about guns/turret redundancy.

Let's say you have a ship with 4 turrets and a ship with 8. Let's also say the 8 turreted ship has smaller, cheaper guns so the total CRAM cost is the same. 

The first problem, to get the benefit from the redundancy, you need to spread them out. Spreading them out needs you need to armor more of your ship, or use less armor to be able to cover it.

The second problem, is you still need to armor the turret caps. On my current prototype, the cap armor is around 5k. Put that on 8 turrets, and you're looking at 40k of your total allowed resources being spent on that. So you'll either have to skimp on armor, and have them be wiped out in one hit, or take the resources from something else. The turret caps will also be very haevy, which might make your ship less stable and slower.

And then onto the firepower. Smaller CRAMs don't scale as well as big ones, especially recently with the armor stacking buff and explosion changes. You can forget small HE CRAMs, they don't do anything anymore. Small AP CRAMs don't have the AP to get though armor without losing efficiency, whereas big ones can pretty much ignore armor class. And with 16k kinetic damage, that'll get through almost any armor and still have room for HE. I don't know about CRAM frag, I haven't played around with it much, but the advantage would probably lean toward bigger guns.

I mean, you could try to make Flameship 2.0, but good luck making it competitive.

I'll be participating.