Not a member yet? Why not Sign up today
Create an account  

• 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average

Battleship Brawl Season 4! (Tournament Underway!)

(2018-08-22, 02:25 PM)Zijkhal Wrote: I'm glad you're back doing tourneys :-)

One question: are asymmetric designs allowed? Asymmetric as in all / most the armor and guns on one side (not en echelon turrets and such)

Goo question, but I hope not.
I still remember the first battle of my USS Iowa.  Dodgy

CRAM CRASH COURSE

(There is) A time to kill, and a time to heal; a time to break down, and a time to build up;
-Ecclesiastes 3:3

Ooooooo!!!!!! yay
Time to bring my oldest battleship out of retirement, and retrofit it with big dakka!!!!
Good to see you back Menti
I hope your happy Draba
R.I.P Dabasaur 2k17

It's great to see you back, Menti! 

I have a few clarifying questions about the rules:

(2018-08-21, 03:46 AM)Menti Wrote:
  • Aimpoint Selection card is allowed but only with the target random block setting. All other settings are banned.

Does this mean that changing the target-selection timer (time before attacking another block) to a value other than 30 seconds is banned?

• All vessels will undergo a 5 minute test battle vs a copy of itself. The design must be capable of dealing significant damage to itself within that timeframe.

- What is the criteria for "significant damage" in the 5 minute mirror match?

Other questions:
------------------------
- On Centralized materials (12,500): Am I allowed to have material boxes on my submission?

- Am I allowed to use an ACB to force the AI into Combat mode (if enemy is near or upon spawning), or should there be a way to allow the AI to be disabled if the craft is DQ'd?

- On Naval AI settings: Are there any specific restrictions to the Naval AI (broadside minimum range can be 0) aside from the broadside range not clashing with the maximum engagement range?

I would appreciate your insight, thank you!

One question: are asymmetric designs allowed? Asymmetric as in all / most the armor and guns on one side (not en echelon turrets and such)
Thanks! It's good to be back.

No, asymmetric is not allowed. I'll add that to the rules.

(2018-08-23, 12:42 AM)mSerzhan Wrote: It's great to see you back, Menti! 

I have a few clarifying questions about the rules:

• Aimpoint Selection card is allowed but only with the target random block setting. All other settings are banned.

Does this mean that changing the target-selection timer (time before attacking another block) to a value other than 30 seconds is banned?

• All vessels will undergo a 5 minute test battle vs a copy of itself. The design must be capable of dealing significant damage to itself within that timeframe.

- What is the criteria for "significant damage" in the 5 minute mirror match?

Other questions:
------------------------
- On Centralized materials (12,500): Am I allowed to have material boxes on my submission?

- Am I allowed to use an ACB to force the AI into Combat mode (if enemy is near or upon spawning), or should there be a way to allow the AI to be disabled if the craft is DQ'd?

- On Naval AI settings: Are there any specific restrictions to the Naval AI (broadside minimum range can be 0) aside from the broadside range not clashing with the maximum engagement range?

I would appreciate your insight, thank you!

You can change the aimpoint selection timer thing, you just can't use any settings other than targetting a random block. When I wrote these rules I hadn't actually seen the new aimpoint card and didn't realize there were only two options. XD

The criteria for significant damage isn't something I can give a hard set quantification to. Basically, I want to make sure that ships have enough firepower to be fun to watch and aren't so stupidly dodgey that they never get hit. This isn't meant to be a thing that raises the barrier to entry by a significant amount so it shouldn't be terribly difficult to pass.

You can have material boxes, but they won't do anything.

You can use the ACB to force combat modes, yes. If you get DQ'd your ship will detonate automatically and instantly with Wootness's tournament mod.

There are no Naval AI settings restrictions.

(2018-08-23, 01:46 AM)Menti Wrote:

On second thought, after discussing it and talking about it a bit on Discord, I came to the conclusion that my thoughts toward ships that are asymmetric was to prevent gunbrick type things (like the Sledgehammer and Borg Cube in earlier tournaments) from forming where it's just a wall of guns with armor around them, but I already have a rule for that. That makes the asymmetric rule redundant and causes issues, so I'm going to remove it. You can build as asymmetric as you want as long as it isn't just a brick/raft with guns on it.

(2018-08-23, 07:54 AM)Menti Wrote:
(2018-08-23, 01:46 AM)Menti Wrote:

On second thought, after discussing it and talking about it a bit on Discord, I came to the conclusion that my thoughts toward ships that are asymmetric was to prevent gunbrick type things (like the Sledgehammer and Borg Cube in earlier tournaments) from forming where it's just a wall of guns with armor around them, but I already have a rule for that. That makes the asymmetric rule redundant and causes issues, so I'm going to remove it. You can build as asymmetric as you want as long as it isn't just a brick/raft with guns on it.

How would you now classify the Death of Virtue by Shieldmate in BBrawl3? It didnt look like a gun barge, but it was completely assymetric in armor and guns.

CRAM CRASH COURSE

(There is) A time to kill, and a time to heal; a time to break down, and a time to build up;
-Ecclesiastes 3:3

>Death of Virtue by Shieldmate in BBrawl3
Was a zombie gunbrick in creative remotely shiplike cardboard disguise.
I was trying to CRAMify the Temeraire, and discovered funy thing: simply filling the boat with wood beams (by autofill, even not trying to fill non-4x1 holes) makes it very resistant to pendepth crams. It holds even against LuckyShot's guns!
And this costs omly 4k more than original, and still sits near waterline.
Makes things.
The fastest thing in the universe is sluggish... Years, decades, centuries from star to star.

Well that's just silly. I mean, it makes sense I guess, but still very silly. Normally HEAT would punish designs doing such things but I guess HEAT isn't a threat in this tournament. Since I'm planning on building a 180k APS battleship and just replacing all the guns with CRAMs for 45k, maybe I'll just fill it with wood if I have some materials left. After all, it would just be 1 RP for every cubic meter of free space.

EDIT: Maybe add a rule that ships have to sink (eventually) if all airpumps are set to 0? Would avoid this situation of a raft pretending to be a steel vessel.

For that sinking thing, you can suggest it in more realism focused tourneys, here that would have no place Skullsploder.

Rebuilding my BBs3 entry for this, as i apparently wont have time for proper designing again. Internally it mostly adjusting to new rules and recent game changes, as these guns already stupid. Externally that would be new superstructure.
JBG's work fine, and fast enough to make evasion possible, at least at long range.

As for now, mirror battles look promising. For some reason I have impression that old cannons now shoot faster, though I don't remember any game changes it this regard...
Ferram's predictions seem to work. No more death by gradual evaporation of outer layers, ships sail around smacking each other by serious booms, holes are made, guts are floating everywhere, cannons falling off, engines poping, tons of confetti in the air!
If even my traditionally slow and boring ship makes such good show, with better designs it must be great Smile

oops, I have a question.
> Unless being used in a JBG (see below), they must be mounted externally
Does it mean "outside and fully exposed" as in SE, or popular in previous BBrawl style with internal rooms with holes to outside allowed?

And I don't see any speed limits. Does it mean supersonic unhittable boats technically allowed? With all 6 JBG's turning is fast enough even on my fat heavy boat to make it practically unhittable at higher distance.
Makes things.
The fastest thing in the universe is sluggish... Years, decades, centuries from star to star.