Not a member yet? Why not Sign up today
Create an account  

• 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average

Some atempt to flying laser units.

So, after I started working on fliers (I almost have a full OOB now, from corvette to light cruiser), I also started to add some disco to my units. Here are the two that made it so far; I've been trying them during camapign (hard mode) and have been quite successful. They are designed to be operated "semi-manualy": I let the AI steer the vessel, turning around in circles,while I manually aim for weapons; once ennemy is silenced, I let the aiming to AI.

Both units are based on the same gimball-style laser turret, only difference is the number of cavities and pumps in what was before the turret pit. The barrel is quite long to ensure 0.2° unaccuracy, there are a couple of sensors mounted, and it can cover a full hemisphere (a bit more, actually, as it can aim a bit up also). I'm really happy about the spinner-on-spinner feature of the post-2.0 engine, as this is the kind of design I wanted to do since a long time ago.
[Image: D3139B8EBD0559C9EF8FD3FDA7D7F01B891DA3AD]

Lochias L-class Light Laser Cruiser
[Image: 8D249B24EDCB5E4EBF6C757209563A2622F687A1]

This one is actually a shortened Epilochias that I posted some time ago. Dual-500mm has been replaced by a quad pulse laser, shotgun-style, firing every 2 seconds. The idea is to be able to reach for ammo and mainframes buried deep inside structures, or to disable heavy APS turrets with a single, well-aimed shot. The vessel relies on speed and agility to evade most APS (only 500+m/s shells have a chance to hit), so armor is relatively thin and shield is only single layer. Fuel engine are efficient design (330+ppf) and propulsion is achieved via propellers to reduce consumption; still, it will require frequent refuels in campaign.

Combat-wise, well, it didn't disapoint against OW: I defeated the entire faction during campaign with this ship only (yes, even Bulwark, Trebuchet or Iron Cordon) and the gun worked as expected to "surgically" strike mainframes and ammo boxes, thus shortening the fights. I also tested successfuly against some SS godlies (Bullshark or Cezar). So far, the biggest issue is against laser-based units, as when running full speed it will overtake its own smoke clouds; reducing speed solves a bit the issue (20m/s seem good). Still, Laser and Particle are the main weakness of this unit.

[Image: 69A51A38FF27C6ADC2F00FDAA9A704F79CBC2BC9]

Controls:
U/J: accelerate/decelerate
H/K: steer port/starboard
Y/I: roll port/starboard
Up/Down: set cruising altitude to 150m/350m (default)
T/G/O: set shields to laser absorb/reflect/Off.

Figures:
Cost: 132k
Max speed: 85m/s
Length: 89m
Block count: 7627
Volume: 13211 m3

Lochagos L-class Laser Cruiser

[Image: BF4B928EA15541B9C38AA1FA1479F3824AD658B4]

The Lochagos-L is the laser version of the Lochagos; only the main gun is modified with the same turret as Lochias, with higher base damage and reload rate. The result is that it can effectively pop the turrets of any SS unit, usually with a single properly aimed shot (yes, even the Thyr!). Thicker armor and dual layer shields result in higher survivability than Lochias. Otherwise, it suffers the same problem against laser-based units; so far, my main issue is with Titan from TG (especially because of self-repair).

[Image: 8AD9DF5965AC6A740B34A7F07F6B07F288609604]

Controls:
U/J: accelerate/decelerate
H/K: steer port/starboard
Y/I: roll port/starboard
Up/Down: set cruising altitude to 150m/350m (default)
T/G/O: set shields to laser absorb/reflect/Off.

Figures:
Cost: 214k
Max speed: 75m/s
Length: 101m
Block count: 10895
Volume: 20730 m3

As usual, comments and remarks are higly appreciated. If someone has any hints about how to improve the laser system, I would gladly take!Big Grin

Attached Files
.blueprint   Lochagos L-class Laser Air Cruiser.blueprint (Size: 509.24 KB / Downloads: 6)
.blueprint   Lochias L-class Light Laser Air Destroyer.blueprint (Size: 368.81 KB / Downloads: 6)
-"Speed is armor" - Admiral john 'Jackie' Fisher

-"Firepower is better armor" - Blitzkrieg Bob