Not a member yet? Why not Sign up today
Create an account  

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

[v2.2.1 dev] visual PBR bug with slanted surfaces

Hi! Since I didn't get an answer in the dev thread, and many don't seem to experience this issue, I decided to put it here:

If PBR is enabled, then slanted metal and alloy textures facing forward or backward (but not sideways up/down!) sometimes appear black, only with a bit of colored reflection applied. The more slanted surfaces, the more often the bug appears; generally happens the most close to the center line. Well visible on a bullwark, see the dark spots (because of the dark faction color):

[Image: G0YpWMv.jpg]

Here another example, where I just put down slanted surfaces on my craft, both with dark and yellow color. As seen, the issue doesn't appear to happen with wood or glass, and only if the slanted surface is facing forwards or backward in some way (in this case, only forwards).

[Image: UB1fxes.jpg]

Here is an imgur album with some more occurances of this bug: https://imgur.com/a/8r7FtLr

Basic CPU specs:

CPU: I5-4570
GPU: RX470 4GB; most recented drivers, completely reinstalled with cleaner tool
RAM: 10GB  DDR3 1333 in Dual Channel

I added an output log of a normal session, where I just go into the editor, experience the issue, and then quite the game.

Attached Files
.txt   output_log - Kopie.txt (Size: 41.74 KB / Downloads: 8)

It actually there in the non PBR as well just alot harder to see.
I finally found the issue after something like 3 years on saturday (PBR made it infinitely easier to isolate.
Its the vert order of the meshes and unity acting like a chump.

Its not just the structural blocks either, so at some point (probably next weekend) we'll be asking the community to take screenshots of the offending faces and the exact block so I can go through and try to reorder them (which is rather difficult in blender because you cant see the vert numbers).
The fun part is sometimes fixing one face will bug out 3 more and fixing those will fix another one but bug out another 2 etc. Very time consuming but needs to be done. For non structural blocks it appears as a sort of oily swirl or random discolouration of a part of a face.

(2018-08-13, 03:47 AM)khaz Wrote: It actually there in the non PBR as well just alot harder to see.
I finally found the issue after something like 3 years on saturday (PBR made it infinitely easier to isolate.
Its the vert order of the meshes and unity acting like a chump.

Its not just the structural blocks either,  so at some point (probably next weekend) we'll be asking the community to take screenshots of the offending faces and the exact block so I can go through and try to reorder them (which is rather difficult in blender because you cant see the vert numbers).
The fun part is sometimes fixing one face will bug out 3 more and fixing those will fix another one but bug out another 2 etc. Very time consuming but needs to be done. For non structural blocks it appears as a sort of oily swirl or random discolouration of a part of a face.

Thank god, I was worried that was an issue that somehow only affected me and nobody else; didn't see any of those bugged faces on other peoples screenshots.

Sucks to hear that it's hard to fix. Reminds me, I think the only non metall/alloy block I've noticed the issue on were fuel engine parts, specifically the turbochargers, who seemed to have like a dozen plus bugged faces... ouch.

I think there is two issues at play here:

1) 45 degree slopes (on some GPUs) rendering the triplanar mapping shader. I think the 1m slopes going pitch black fall into this category. Unfortunately I don't see this issue but I bet I can fix it by slightly adjusting the normal angles.
2) Issues with the mesh as described above.
Reviewed FtD on steam yet? It's the #1 thing you can do to help FtD (and future games by Brilliant Skies!), so please take the time!
Bug tracker - view, "upvote", comment on and add all bugs here.
Request tracker - request new features here
support - private portal to service desk

Already wondered if it's maybe AMD GPUs? The 470' is one of their (slightly outdated) mainstream products, but Nvidia hardware is so much more common these days that AMD specific bugs sometimes end up overlooked.

Tell if I can help somehow.