Not a member yet? Why not Sign up today
Create an account  

• 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average

Magnum Opus Engineering: Generation 1

Photo 
Magnum Opus Engineering®

‘Transit umbra, lux permanet.’

In the beginning there was darkness…and under the light of the primordial sun it was born… It was the defiance of Prometheus, it mused in the fever dreams of Da Vinci, and now dwells in the hope of colony ships on the frontiers of the galaxy. It was there when the dauntless norsemen braved the frigid North sea, when Tesla mastered electric power, and when Dylan Thomas fatefully wrote the words “Do not go gentle”. It is the unquenchable spirit of the flame of life that stares into the sapping black void of chaos and says ‘no, you shall not triumph today!’

It is in this spirit that the best minds in science, engineering and technology have come together to create a new vision; a vision where anything is possible if you have the time, resources and dedication. The culmination of thousands of years of human development, and a stalwart determination to reach beyond the stars have brought us here: to uncover the secrets of the power of nature’s power, precision, elegance and efficiency.

The dream child of genius, Magnum Opus Engineering® 
‘Transit umbra, lux permanet.’ -Shadow passes, light remains.

Faction Notes:

This faction embodies a postmodern design theme where humanity is capable of interstellar travel and early colonisation. I’ve incorporated several design limitations mainly so I can master different levels of defensive, offensive, and subsystem efficiency and effectiveness. All designs are fully walk-able and campaign capable, and I try to create them with a balance of form and function. Also, they tend to not be too large so as to improve performance for weaker PCs. Various components in my crafts aren’t my design and I’ve tried to credit where I can, but if you see a part that is your design let me know. If you have any suggestions for improvements for my creations please let me know. This faction is a long while in the making please give a like, comment and rating.  Smile 

Generation 1 Fleet

Magnum Opus Engineering is proud to present the opening line of our naval series the Generation 1 fleet. Because of their place as the opening line, the gen 1 crafts have been named after fierce warrior classes of Earth’s history. The gen 1 series are designed with an emphasis on defence and as such will make good test beds for future technologies.

The gen 1 fleet incorporates a number of our signature design features that are assured to give the customer an edge in naval expansion. All craft utilize our proprietary composite armour and are designed to be streamlined, resource efficient, survive significant damage, and support each other in a fleet. Our ships can accommodate modular weapon systems and utilize standardised components.

Kentarch Class Cruiser
Credits to Captain FVV and his Cleburne FFG for hull design.

[Image: qT3fhy1.jpg]

Role: Fleet command in lieu of larger vessels, solo operation missions, reconnaissance and first detection.
Overview and Background: In the imperial eastern roman navy a kentarch was the equivalent of a centurian- a roman professional officer. Kentarchs fought alongside the men they lead, and were expected to inspire discipline and courage at sea even in the most dire circumstances. We at Magnum Opus Engineering salute this history with the Mk 3A Kentarch Class Cruiser.

The Kentarch is the first cruiser in our Gen 1 fleet, and incorporates many promising design innovations. The kentarch has been designed as a flagship for small fleets and as such is fitted with pinpoint, broad spectrum detection set which includes our patented 360 search radar. To make use of this detection she has a small inboard tactical command and control centre for fleet coordination.

Though well suited to fleet operations, the kentarch is also ideally suited to solo missions. Hydrodynamic hull lines, active roll stabilisation, protected propulsion, and great bridge visibility make for a long and pleasant cruise, and a low COM, lightweight structural interior, conservative fuel consumption, and slanted armour freeboard for reduced weight make for a long operational range.

Defensively, the kentarch is fitted with an excellent array of passive and active features. A thick triple metal belt, angled upper armour, and triple layered glass is her main protection. Also the decks, bulkheads, and interior are all electrically isolated from the hull for superior EMP protection. All essential subsystems are also armoured and protected from EMP and clipless main guns prevent internal detonations. Active defences include a four point pulsed LAMS, radar and sonar decoys, and an anti-torpedo system.

Offensively the kentarch is quite versatile, although not against large vessels. Clipless 200m mainguns, two 60mm anti air miniguns, 40 standard anti-ship missiles, a proprietary internal torpedo system, and two deck guns for point defence. Overall the kentarch is a fast, versatile and very tough vessel, stable gun platform, is equipped to deal with threats in any battle space and serves well as a small fleet flagship.
[Image: r6Pi9pB.jpg]
Fig#2: Top View
[Image: 8L5I9Fo.jpg]
Fig #3: Side View
Cost: 119 079
Dimensions: L 134, W 19, H 31
Maximum Speed: 34.6 knots (17.8 m/s), reverse 27 knots (14 m/s)
Powerplant: 10, 400 bhp, turbo chained 36 cylinder dual exhaust diesel
Propulsion: 10 large propellors
Fuel Efficiency: 12.2 fuel per second at 50%, 29.3 fps at full draw
Weapon Systems: 2x 200mm clipless cannons firing HEAT and fragmentation shells; 2x 60mm timed frag anti-air miniguns; 36x medium range, radar/TPG guided, ejector equipped triple frag warhead anti-ship missiles in multiple launchers; 16x stern mounted concealed, medium range, sonar guided, triple warhead torpedoes; 2x automatic deck guns
Armour:
Hull: 3 M
Deck: 1 M, 1 LWA, (over mainguns 2M.)
Superstructure: 2M, 1 LWA. composite
Defensive Systems: 3060k 4q pulsed LAMS; 4x sonar/flare decoys, 4x radar/flare decoys; 5x reverse firing, ATTPS (anti-torpedo torpedo system); 18 repair bots
[b]Detection Systems: [/b]1x forward 90 degree radar, 2x port 90 degree radar; 1x 360 radar; 2x telescopic gimbal tracker; 2x 7m rangefinder; 1x laser tracker
Strong Against: All small surface vessels, most medium vessels, average speed aircraft, most submarines.
Vulnerable Against: large assault craft, excessively fast craft, excessively armoured/shielded craft, high dps weaponry, laser weaponry

[Image: zrUfNn5.jpg]
Fig #4 TCC (Tactical Command and Control)
[Image: nMznezw.jpg]
Take her for a spin here:
.blueprint   Mk 3A Kentarch Class Cruiser.blueprint (Size: 403.23 KB / Downloads: 1)  Smile 

More by Magnum Opus Engineering
Generation 1
Frigates:
Hypaspist Class Frigate
Destroyers:
Coming soon
Cruisers:
Kentarch Class Cruiser
Submarines:
Sicarii Class Stealth Submarine
Aircraft:
Coming soon
Support Craft:
Coming soon

So I've finally launched the new faction, more craft on their way soon. Enjoy!

Nice one! I love the design, great work with the shape of the hull and superstructure. I love also the fact that it is fully walkable: I actually spent some time wandering inside! Smile

One thing I'd say is that its main artilleyr lacks firepower; it could do with higher gauge even at the cost of reduced fire rate. You can also try to install a secondary AI mainframe for AAA only so that the 60mm shoot at fliers in priority.

I'll be looking for your next ships; this is really some nice job!
-"Speed is armor" - Admiral john 'Jackie' Fisher

-"Firepower is better armor" - Blitzkrieg Bob

Nicely made. And... for some reason, I was about to confused between ya designs and Eagle Industry ships styles and look... similar. XD Maybe coincidences only.

Very good looking ships. The design of these is what I'm currently aspiring to do. One thing is that 200mm guns will severely limit damage potential especially on a 100k resouge craft like that. Otherwise very, very impressive

(2018-08-11, 11:58 AM)BlitzkriegBob Wrote: Nice one! I love the design, great work with the shape of the hull and superstructure. I love also the fact that it is fully walkable: I actually spent some time wandering inside! Smile

One thing I'd say is that its main artilleyr lacks firepower; it could do with higher gauge even at the cost of reduced fire rate. You can also try to install a secondary AI mainframe for AAA only so that the 60mm shoot at fliers in priority.

I'll be looking for your next ships; this is really some nice job!

Thanks, i try to make my ships sexy. I know the main guns are underwhelming but they're clipless and quite tough, i'll probably beef her up in the future.

(2018-08-11, 04:50 PM)Monklizard Wrote: Nicely made. And... for some reason, I was about to confused between ya designs and Eagle Industry ships styles and look... similar. XD Maybe coincidences only.

Haha, yes Eagle Industries is one of the major sources of inspiration, but I find I just tend to like building in a similar style.