Not a member yet? Why not Sign up today
Create an account  

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Turret restraits question

I've recently started playing ftd again.  It seems I have forgotten some things.  I am working on a thruster craft for campaign. It is mostly done, but I am to the point of starting to pull my limited hair out over constraining the two laser turrets.  The craft has a single dorsal and ventral laser turret that are the cause of this desire for hair pulling.  Due to how far back from the front of the craft they are, the failsafes even maxed out are proving insufficient to keep the craft from shooting itself if the target it directly to the front.  Yet when I constrain the turrets based on elevation it keeps the lasers from shooting the ship, but then if the target is not directly to the front it renders one of the two turrets impotent.

I have attached the bp if some one would be willing to take a look at it and offer some advise I would appreciate it.

Attached Files
.blueprint   big thruster 1.blueprint (Size: 506.54 KB / Downloads: 7)

Can you post some pictures? It might also be possible to figure out an option there.

(2018-08-07, 01:32 AM)Savaage Wrote: Due to how far back from the front of the craft they are, the failsafes even maxed out are proving insufficient to keep the craft from shooting itself if the target it directly to the front.  Yet when I constrain the turrets based on elevation it keeps the lasers from shooting the ship, but then if the target is not directly to the front it renders one of the two turrets impotent.

I have attached the bp if some one would be willing to take a look at it and offer some advise I would appreciate it.

after i check it, i sure you don't do any wrong. it's just a known failsafe problem with laser.

the failsafe only check laser "barrel" direct front. but laser have their own shooting angle don't need to move their barrel. so failsafe just shoot forever because there are nothing in front of the laser optics.

to solve this. i suggest using "turret on turret" and decrease laser firing arc. then, failsafe will work more reliable. Smile

btw, 355k power is...uh...a huge monster with only Electric Power... and only using RTG to run. OAO"

i'll have a look i might have an idea to fix that

done

i fine tuned the restriction angles for ur lasers a bit (3° down for the upside one 3° up for the one upsidedown mountet)

i would recoment holding a distance to the target (if possible) of at least 2500 this waz both lasers can engage most targets

but the craft is long and narow + the lasrs are very close to the hull so there is not much room for error
like's strange music Tongue

Thanks for the info guys.

@ Xalinsky Yea its been a problem for a while, but the turret on a turret idea is one I may look at that's something that was not available the last time I played. As for the rtg build its for campaigns and I'm lazy. a laser rtg craft with enough ammo that it does not need ammo processors takes alot of the effort out of the logistics. the laser itself uses a good 150k and the rest is for the shields and moving.

@ Khkpck Ill try those settings and see how it goes. And I was planning on it being an orbiter which is why its using a naval ai card not an aerial one.

So I got to play with it some more and come to the conclusion the best way is to use an elevation turret stacked on top of an azimuth turret. This is not unlike how aps functions now and as xal said lets the fail safe finally do its job without having to hobble the turret itself.