Not a member yet? Why not Sign up today
Create an account  

• 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average

Sea Encounters: Ironclads [Discussion]

1) Alright, so I should remove the repair bots? [If I do so, monitor captains, BE SURE THE TURRETS DON'T SHOOT EACH OTHER!]
2) Hmm. Fair enough, although that WAS at ~3k distance. This will be, hopefully, many times smaller.
3) Uh, example of the no-brainer-must-take-trait? Like Sabot in the LC and BB tourneys? I'll edit it for 'allowed shell parts: GP, Pendepth, Inertial, HE, Solid, HECap, APCap.' That would make these battles more interesting. BUT keeping the 1m-or-baaaarely-into-2m shell rules.
4) So allow the 100 Ton Gun to be on a standard turret with the other guns being monitor style?
5) Ok. That does make sense, I was thinking a bit more toward the 305 when thinking about them. I like Ferram's idea. Take 50% and round up to the nearest whole number...
6) Alrighty. :3
7) I'll need to do that...Although, dunno if my set up would be the most optimal. XD

Alright, I waaaas thinking more civil war era and attacking wooden ships, but it does make sense to allow the ships higher penetration when fighting other metal ships.

No idea yet! Haven't had the chance to fiddle with it. Hopefully I'll not be distracted with youtube long enough to build something tomorrow.

If you require some anecdotal evidence, I have ended up switching all my cannons to direct feed. Improves reload by 4s.

Mildly increased vulnerability is acceptable for smaller turret wells with same recoil and increased RoF

Annnd site is derping this again...

And it broken again.
@Eggs, sorry no cheese for ya, that was meaningless "thread unstucker" post and it even didn't unstuck.. but this one did.

@Fox, may I chirp another opinion?
As you clearly stuck in civil war with your rules, maybe, officially shift tourney's focus specifically to earliest ironclads, or even straight to Civil war coastal fleet? Allow some creative freedom to build "alternative" ships, as if that war prolonged for another decade and they refined these floating gunboxes. May be interesting, and more clear for builders in what exactly they are expected to build.
Makes things.
The fastest thing in the universe is sluggish... Years, decades, centuries from star to star.

Oooh. So lean toward fantasy rather than "replica"? (Frankly, if that went on for another decade, the south would have been completely destroyed in all infrastructure, ships, etc. But tossing in the 'all things being equal' caveat, that would result in some interesting designs methinks.)

To be honest, as far as replicas go it feels like we're currently stuck (design wise) between the Virginia or the Monitor.. which is frustrating. I currently feel like I've ended up just trying to Min-Max a Monitor style ship more than anything else. I'd appreciate more 'wiggle room' but I don't know what form that would take.

Also, I'm left wondering about one last Monitor concept I was thinking of @Captain_Fox. Is it possible to combine the 'Fleet', '100 Ton Gun' and 'Monitor Subclasses' ? I have an idea for a terrible trio  Big Grin Are the 10k and 5k material removals multiplied by the number of ships, or would I get 20k Material to play with?

You'd get 20k to play with. Or do you think I should make that 15k?

Well, I haven't tried it out yet... 20k for now please? Big Grin

(2018-08-18, 12:00 PM)Captain_Fox Wrote: 1) Alright, so I should remove the repair bots? [If I do so, monitor captains, BE SURE THE TURRETS DON'T SHOOT EACH OTHER!]
I would recommend it, unless you find repairs fun.

(2018-08-18, 12:00 PM)Captain_Fox Wrote: 3) Uh, example of the no-brainer-must-take-trait? Like Sabot in the LC and BB tourneys? I'll edit it for 'allowed shell parts: GP, Pendepth, Inertial, HE, Solid, HECap, APCap.' That would make these battles more interesting. BUT keeping the 1m-or-baaaarely-into-2m shell rules.
Only one pure sabot ship made it through the finals in SE:BB. There are a lot of powerful alternatives to choose from - frag, APHE, HESH, HEAT etc.

(2018-08-18, 12:00 PM)Captain_Fox Wrote: 4) So allow the 100 Ton Gun to be on a standard turret with the other guns being monitor style?
In my opinion - yes.

(2018-08-18, 12:00 PM)Captain_Fox Wrote: 5) Ok. That does make sense, I was thinking a bit more toward the 305 when thinking about them. I like Ferram's idea. Take 50% and round up to the nearest whole number...
Indeed

(2018-08-18, 12:00 PM)Captain_Fox Wrote: 6) Alrighty. :3
Smile

(2018-08-18, 12:00 PM)Captain_Fox Wrote: 7) I'll need to do that...Although, dunno if my set up would be the most optimal. XD
Big Grin

(2018-08-18, 12:00 PM)Captain_Fox Wrote: Alright, I waaaas thinking more civil war era and attacking wooden ships, but it does make sense to allow the ships higher penetration when fighting other metal ships.

No idea yet! Haven't had the chance to fiddle with it. Hopefully I'll not be distracted with youtube long enough to build something tomorrow.

Good luck with the build.

Btw, the forums are crazy with those disappearing post. I was looking at the forum yesterday, but just today saw your post... Not too mention that the email notification does not work.
primum non nocere

1) alright. I'll make that adjustment tomorrow if I remember. ^^;
3) well those didn't exist back then. Tongue

Thanks! Uh. I totally didn't get distracted by YouTube and wanting to fiddle with StarMade again... Oh. And school starts tomorrow, so yeah. (I mean, it's University, so lots of free time, but still.)