Not a member yet? Why not Sign up today
Create an account  

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Air Combat - A few quick Y/N questions.

Recently I have had a "phase" with aircraft in FTD, and as a result I've came up some questions mostly relating to how realistic air combat will be if we do get it in FS.

-Will there be planes in FS?
-Will aircraft have thin enough armor that small, realistic caliber aircraft weaponry will be able to down them?
-Will there be multiple ways to power a propeller? (Inline, Radial, Turboprop etc.)
-Will shells for small caliber weapons be customizeable? (IAI, API, HE, Tracers)
-Will planes with a multi person crew and defensive gunners be possible?

Also, I am quite curious in how different powerplants are going to be implemented - will they be built on a block by block basis like in FTD or have parts selected and adjusted for them in a manner similar to Automation? I do have many more questions, but these are the ones which came to mind first.

I can answer 2 questions
When I asked Nick he told me that with 4mm thick Aluminum you can do some realistic planes.

So 2 things, yes there are probably be planes and armor will be thin enough, more I don't know, try going around the some of the threads see what you can find, I think you can finds something with engines and weapons in some threads, like the weekly updates, dedicated threads and the image thread
There is always a weak-spot if you search Hard enough.

If you fire enough AP at that shield, at some point you're going to come through.

There is no "best" I wouldn't even say there is anything universally good, Good is subjective, I find everything bad even if it's in theory good against this or that.

Planes are planned, not certain that all the components required to make them viable are going to be implemented in time for the initial release, though.

(2018-08-02, 09:05 PM)Zyme Wrote: -Will aircraft have thin enough armor that small, realistic caliber aircraft weaponry will be able to down them?

FS features thin walls or armor plates, and aircraft will be largely subject to realistic constraints of physics.

Quote:-Will shells for small caliber weapons be customizeable? (IAI, API, HE, Tracers)

We know ammunition for larger weapons will definitely be customizable. I suspect it'll be the same for small-caliber ones, like in FTD.

Quote:-Will planes with a multi person crew and defensive gunners be possible?

The average vehicle in FS is going to be operated by a multi-person crew and have non-fixed weapon mounts, so I really don't see why not.

Quote:Also, I am quite curious in how different powerplants are going to be implemented - will they be built on a block by block basis like in FTD or have parts selected and adjusted for them in a manner similar to Automation? I do have many more questions, but these are the ones which came to mind first.

Nick has mentioned he's planning to have internal-combustion engines be more about configuration and less about building block-by-block, because they have to be fairly compact in order to be suitable for applications such as aircraft.
Steam username: Soar | Discord username: Cranky corvid

I wonder how wings will work in FS. I hope they aren't just wing "pieces" but instead are made of the materials you can use to build the rest of your vehicle. Also, a fabric material would be awesome for the first planes around the WW1 era.