Not a member yet? Why not Sign up today
Create an account  

• 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average

2.2.1 [dev test only for now]

Hi all.

this will be out in about 30 minutes.. it's building now but I'll be asleep before it lands so here is the post..

Slight adaption to 2.2.0 with the introduction of four significant new features.

1) The "red" paint color now encodes a 3 bit (8 levels) modifier for "shininess / smoothness / reflectivity / (1-roughness) / whatever you want to call it. This means you can paint metal to be like a mirror, or like the opposite (plasterboard, for example). Go into your vehicle / fleet paint colour editor and have a play.

2) I've been experimenting with using a camera to capture Cubemaps for reflections. This is still not finished but if you turn off Reflection Probe in the options menu you will get a 1Hz (once per second) update of the scene's reflection "Cubemap" which will contain reflections of the ocean and the sky, and the land. It's a work in progress but I'm quite happy with it. The BUG with it at the moment is that the reflection is powerful on all surfaces- not just shiny ones!

3) If you look at an exhaust pipe, for example, all exhaust pipes connected to it will glow cyan. Still a WIP feature.

4) you can press "end" in build mode to make "cutaway" views. I had some bugs doing this like cuting away my own player avatar because he was in a chair that got cutaway. I fixed this bug but I suspect there are others. Look forward to seeing some nice cutaway views.

5) The "mouse over" information for blocks is rather a lot clearer and is displayed in the tooltip format you'll be familiar with.

6) all bugs I said I fixed in the previous thread have been fixed (as far as I know).. but keep em coming.

7) the following known bugs remain. a) Weather changes make the ocean go nuts. b) Probeless reflections too strong on all surfaces (see above).

v2.2.1 [Add] <Effects>: Vehicle paint now has an option to include a modifier for shininess
v2.2.1 [Add] <UI>: In game block information now displayed in a more consise and easy to read format
v2.2.1 [Add] <UI>: When a block is selected all connected blocks light up blue. Some blocks display issues with a red tint.
v2.2.1 [Add] <UI>: You can now make cutaway views of vehicles by pressing 'end' in build mode
v2.2.1 [Change] <Blocks>: Heliump pump is losing helium x10 time slower for an above water leak compared to an underwater leak
v2.2.1 [Change] <Blocks>: Heliump pump is now providing x1.33 the up-force of an airpump for the underwater volume, and x0.33 for the above water volume (before it was x0.33 for all the volume)

I hope to get 2.2.1 pushed to development as well as dev test on Friday noontime ish... and perhaps go stable on Friday late afternoon.
Reviewed FtD on steam yet? It's the #1 thing you can do to help FtD (and future games by Brilliant Skies!), so please take the time!

oh and I am well aware that the bump mapping of LWA is far too strong and it looks very odd, especially when highly reflective. Will fix.
Reviewed FtD on steam yet? It's the #1 thing you can do to help FtD (and future games by Brilliant Skies!), so please take the time!

Hi Nick, marvelous work you're doing mate!
Just a few things.

1. Could you separate trail length for bullets and missiles once again, and could you also give CRAMs their own trail setting? CRAM trails are too short while APS trails are too long.

2. Could you give said trails a transparency/alpha slider? The vivid, un-aliased trails look a bit off with the new graphics, so would be a nice addtion.

3. Wood has some painting issues. The below freeboard is black with 1.00 alpha, while the draught is a dark red, also 1.00 alpha, however both look extremely washed out. This was in version 2.2.0.
[Image: cMRSewL.jpg?1]

(2018-08-02, 12:56 AM)Shaun Wrote: Hi Nick, marvelous work you're doing mate!
Just a few things.

1. Could you separate trail length for bullets and missiles once again, and could you also give CRAMs their own trail setting? CRAM trails are too short while APS trails are too long.

2. Could you give said trails a transparency/alpha slider? The vivid, un-aliased trails look a bit off with the new graphics, so would be a nice addtion.

3. Wood has some painting issues. The below freeboard is black with 1.00 alpha, while the draught is a dark red, also 1.00 alpha, however both look extremely washed out. This was in version 2.2.0.

Ah the washed out look there is because your reflection probe intensity is too high. I think I set the default as 2.0 but the whole vehicle is looking a bit blue... so turn it down to 1.0 or less. I think you'll find the paint will work better if you do this.. but report back.

And yeah I think I could separate out the various trail settings.

(2018-08-02, 01:00 AM)Nick Smart Wrote:
(2018-08-02, 12:56 AM)Shaun Wrote: Hi Nick, marvelous work you're doing mate!
Just a few things.

Ah the washed out look there is because your reflection probe intensity is too high. I think I set the default as 2.0 but the whole vehicle is looking a bit blue... so turn it down to 1.0 or less. I think you'll find the paint will work better if you do this.. but report back.

It helps somewhat, however you can see on the image the metal parts such as the gun shield manage to keep the paint very well; the wood, not so much. This has been an issue with the stable version; wood just can't be painted as well as metal. Thus, a half metal, half wood hull has some noticeable colour differences, even if using the exact same paint colour.

(2018-08-02, 01:01 AM)Nick Smart Wrote: And yeah I think I could separate out the various trail settings.

Thank you Smile

The cutaway view seems great.
Can you add a view mode that shrinks all blocks on every Construct/Subconstruct except the one that the player is building on? It will help a lot when building turrets or barbettes!

Also the cutaway cuts subobjects that don't face the same direction as the main construct in the wrong way

A few thoughts from messing around in the new build:
- The highlight thing would be much more useful if you could "tag" a system to highlight by pressing a button, rather than hover over it. This would be useful for spread out systems like lasers.
- The new video options have made many blocks noticeably harder to see. I am not quite sure how to word this, but legibility has really suffered. Lots of blocks look like they have a layer of dust on them from being in the attic or something. Blocks really don't "pop" out at you like they used to. Compare these screenshots:

Old, pre 2.16 game:
[Image: attachment.php?aid=49381]
New, max settings preset:
[Image: attachment.php?aid=51438]

Bugs:
- If you have the Shift-P mode "Show only important blocks" on, the highlighting will make unimportant blocks appear. They don't then disappear after being un-highlighted.
- The video options don't honor a disabled PBR shaders setting after restarting the game. You have to turn it on and then off again.
- The quit game button on the title screen main menu does not work.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)