Not a member yet? Why not Sign up today
Create an account  

Poll: Are you interested in this sort of tournament?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes
75.00%
3 75.00%
No
25.00%
1 25.00%
Total 4 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

• 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average

Earthlike Expeditionary Exhibitions (Completed)

[Image: V7Mp12h.jpg]

I refit the mighty Gewitterwolke to operate in real earth settings. You better bring your thunder buddy!

Attached Files
.blueprint   Gewitterwolke by T3hJimmer.blueprint (Size: 236.72 KB / Downloads: 9)

I barely ever make tournament craft and for good reason! I'm not very good at making metacraft. But someone a while back was worried about the possibility of a tiny craft supporting a tractor-beamed mecha, so I built that. It has a stupidly long laser arm for its heavy laser as well as seven guns forming an organ-gun and some torpedoes. Also, it has wooden armor and the lower half, which comprises a good 10-15% of the cost despite trying to be as small as possible, has all the material storage and some respectable repair tentacles.
It costs about 90k, so it gets 20k material storage. Nothing's on a subconstruct on the subvehicle so it can even regenerate weapons, though of course that's anything but optimal. It can kill anything else I've built for this setting quite handily. [Image: ivu9TQV.jpg]
Regardless of who wins I'll also be padding the tournament with trials for both vehicles against other constructs I've made.

Attached Files
.blueprint   Tourneymech_sub.blueprint (Size: 152.02 KB / Downloads: 0)

This sorta is what I meant, what is the real problem is when you build the small craft inside the large craft, so its protected even from EMP.  In other words your can build a heavy armor ball around the small craft then the rest of the mech using repair tentacles on the sub spawn to rapid repair much faster than traditional repair bots.  Reason this is a problem is you will need very powerful weapons to kill the small main craft in which case no one would normally design their main guns to shoot at the smaller craft.  Depending on design, 100k rp craft built like this could be nearly impossible to cripple.  It also avoids the exploit of sensors on spin blocks seeing through own craft for the sensors will be looking through the sub vehicle.

With College going and quizs this week I will not have time to re-build the prototype of this concept that I found was pretty much unkillable.

Edit: Something I did not think about and will test later, if missiles can be fired from the main vehicle and fly through the docked craft.....

I finally got the battle recorded and uploaded. Apologies for the late post, the last few days have been unexpectedly hectic.
Things went ... Differently from how I expected from the Gewitterwolke's appearance.

First, as a disclaimer, the submitted Gewitterwolke did not have a heartstone, which was required for this tournament. I added one on top of its AI card slots to make sure it could compete.
Secondly, its flight control system seemed to be poorly optimized to earthlike physics which resulted in it rolling over early in the battle while attempting to turn and ending up in the water. As a result it lost its maneuverability advantage and was susceptible to the mech's torpedoes, which ultimately struck the killing blow. I think that its flight behavior also resulted in it shooting itself several times early on, which damaged its weapons - this is seen with a shower of shells early on. Prior to crashing in the water, it appeared to have the strong advantage as the mech's weapons were unable to track it effectively.
Third, I think it ran out of material fairly quickly due to the low quantities of material allowed in this tournament and its use of a high power steam engine.
If you wanted to upgrade it to solve one or more of these design problems I'd be more than willing to record a rematch.

(2018-09-05, 02:56 PM)Soulcharger Wrote: This sorta is what I meant, what is the real problem is when you build the small craft inside the large craft, so its protected even from EMP.  In other words your can build a heavy armor ball around the small craft then the rest of the mech using repair tentacles on the sub spawn to rapid repair much faster than traditional repair bots.  Reason this is a problem is you will need very powerful weapons to kill the small main craft in which case no one would normally design their main guns to shoot at the smaller craft.  Depending on design, 100k rp craft built like this could be nearly impossible to cripple.  It also avoids the exploit of sensors on spin blocks seeing through own craft for the sensors will be looking through the sub vehicle.

With College going and quizs this week I will not have time to re-build the prototype of this concept that I found was pretty much unkillable.

Edit: Something I did not think about and will test later, if missiles can be fired from the main vehicle and fly through the docked craft.....
That was deliberate. Since you were afraid of such a craft, I wanted to see how well it would actually work.
In theory, the small craft being inside the larger craft results in a much greater use of materials for the enclosure. This would result in a less material-efficient outer vehicle which would likely lose in a direct slugfest with one like mine where the smaller vehicle is separate, unless the smaller vehicle itself was targeted. (My vehicle of course would be easy prey for a submarine with primary supercavitating rounds as it has no )
Even my craft depletes its 20k material fairly fast on repairs. Once the materials stored are depleted, its ability to regenerate becomes irrelevant. A 100k mecha would have only 10k resources to repair with. Furthermore, mechs by nature are somewhat slow, especially under these physics settings - and therefore cannot determine the range of engagement or evade enemy fire very well. I believe that a fast craft designed to engage at very long range could outperform a mech by wearing it down.

Storing missiles on the main vehicle and flying them through a docked craft is possible, but their behavior is unreliable, just like shooting missiles through components or subobjects of a single craft.

I built my entry in 2.2 with the settings from the OP, but I must have messed something up when I was typing them in. I tried loading it in with the same settings and it doesn't fly right. Sorry for the lame duck entry.

(2018-09-10, 12:56 AM)T3hJimmer Wrote: I built my entry in 2.2 with the settings from the OP, but I must have messed something up when I was typing them in. I tried loading it in with the same settings and it doesn't fly right. Sorry for the lame duck entry.

All good. A lame duck submission is leaps and bounds better than no submission at all, and it does show how much of a difference low drag and low forces make for fliers, and how much impact wings actually have in these settings as well, even if its wings are concealed.
Either way, if you wanted to take a little more time and modify it again, I'd be more than happy to record a rematch.