Not a member yet? Why not Sign up today
Create an account  

Poll: Which ideas are good?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Idea #1 (particle modifier)
33.33%
6 33.33%
Idea #2 (particle tube merger)
22.22%
4 22.22%
Idea #3 (particle director)
38.89%
7 38.89%
None of them
5.56%
1 5.56%
Total 18 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

[IDEA] Additional particle cannon customisation options

Currently, a particle cannon can only be set to one mode for all its particles. First, I have an idea to change that. Placing a "Particle Modifier" at the start of a tube should allow you to change the type of particle on that, and only that, tube. This would allow, for example, you to have a particle cannon with both explosives and EMP. Also, it would allow firing apertures (if I got the name right) to launch a different particle than the rest of the cannon. It would also provide more of a reason to use terminators rather than inputs - more variety but less overall power. Of course, the old way would still work for a simpler design, and these modifiers shouldn't count to the arm length.

Second, I'm thinking a particle tube merger. It's like a T-pipe for particles. This would serve double purpose - allowing two particle outputs to use one input, or launching two particles through an aperture. However, for balance and to increase the design needed, an input feeder cannot take 2 different types of particle, else it goes boom (this wouldn't happen with apertures). Also, feeding it into a terminator will make the merger go boom - it isn't a splitter. Attempting to send 3 or more particles down one tube will cause a boom. Finally, the component is delicate and destroying it may cause collision of particles which will cause a large explosion.

Third, what about a particle director? Particles go in, and can be directed left or right. This could be changed manually or by ACB or LUA box. This would allow such fancy things as changing apertures, switching between apertures and main cannon, switching between a bunch of weak particles and a small amount of strong particles, and other fancy things.

Thoughts?

I like.

Also a left-handed particle cannon main block please? Possibly?

Also I have a countermeasure idea:
The particle cannon could be replaced with a Particle Field Generator, which could create a local "field" of particles.
The regular options would be present, but also an "anti-particle" mode. Having enough anti-particles in your field would render PCannons against you useless.

(2018-07-21, 05:13 PM)TDplay Wrote: Also I have a countermeasure idea:
The particle cannon could be replaced with a Particle Field Generator, which could create a local "field" of particles.
The regular options would be present, but also an "anti-particle" mode. Having enough anti-particles in your field would render PCannons against you useless.

I would rather have soft counter than hard one.
So unless your defense is way stronger than attack that is coming you still get hit albeit significantly (depending on proportion between attack and deffence) less than without defence.

(2018-07-21, 05:13 PM)TDplay Wrote: Also I have a countermeasure idea:

Particle cannons are complex and weak for their cost as the system currently lacks a counter.
But if they where made more user-friendly and cheaper in use and construction, then a hard counter or soft counter would be great.

I would like the particle cannon system to be expanded upon for some weapon variation, and all your suggestions would be good. 

I also suggest some new parts that would allow you to make ion-cannons like the ones found in Homeworld out of the particle cannon.

For those not familiar with the Homeworld game, the ion-cannon found there fire a large continuous beam after a short warm-up, similar to the simple laser.
The weapon had a satisfying charge up sound and solid effect that made it enjoyable on a deeper level. 
I have not been able to replicate it with lasers in from the depths.