Not a member yet? Why not Sign up today
Create an account  

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

APHE shell (or explosion) clipping

While working on a missile hovercraft, I decided that my best bet was to consolite AI, engines, and unfortunately ammo into one, unseparated citadel. I did some tests against the DWG expert designs Pilferer and Ransack. Both managed to citadel my hovercraft quite disturbingly quickly. When I looked into the AI box during a fight with a Ransack, I noticed that just the AI and part of the RTGs were damaged, with no damage to the exterior or even interior of the citadel.

I'm running at about 15-20FPS, so I'm wondering if the APHE shells started to penetrate, but the game was running too slowly to realize it couldn't make it all the way through.

My BP and screenshot attached. Expert DWG Pilferer and Ransack caused the problem.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

.blueprint   Xtravagence Missile Cruiser.blueprint (Size: 58.28 KB / Downloads: 2)
(2017-04-20, 06:54 PM)Hikari Wrote: I made something that has an impact of a type 1a supernova. The projectile already breaks laws of physics by going way past the speed of light.

2000mm HE Dakka Enthusiast

There's one known bug with the explosions.
When the explosion hits a wall, usually the center of the explosion is on the block just before the wall, but sometimes it's the block on the wall itself.
When the center of the explosion is on the wall itself, then the explosion will go through the wall as it will expand in a sphere from here (except if it's 2m wide).

For now we're not sure how to fix that problem.
2m wide armor should guarantee good protection.

The armor was 4m thick on the sides, maybe 2m minimum. I knew of that issue some, but I thought the armor was thick enough on this hovercraft.
(2017-04-20, 06:54 PM)Hikari Wrote: I made something that has an impact of a type 1a supernova. The projectile already breaks laws of physics by going way past the speed of light.

2000mm HE Dakka Enthusiast

Isn't it possible that some armor blocks have been destroyed and then repaired?

According to the algorithm, I don't really see how the explosion could have slipped past the armor, except if the bug I mentioned is more serious than what I think.
I mean, maybe some shell 'phased' through 1-2m of your armor, that would make the center of the explosion on an inner armor block, which would propagate the explosion inside the citadel.
That would be a very plausible explanation.

At some point I will have to do something about shells (and frags and missiles) phasing through blocks.