Not a member yet? Why not Sign up today
Create an account  

• 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average

The Unified Engine Raft II

Holy crap I just figured out something awesome for the whole Kitsune-Baikal-whatever-else series of engines killshoots and I have been messing with a lot.

If the pattern of the way we mess with each other's improvements to an engine holds, killshoot will possibly even mess with what I came up with and improve it further. I'll slap it on the raft and upload it within an hour or two (I didn't fix the signs yet...)

Edit: Yep, it turned out awesome. Its basically the newest killshoots engine enhanced further to be extendable in TWO directions, the new one of which increases PPBB faster than the first one.

Incidentally, it technically IS possible to break 20 PPBB with it, but doing so requires you building the engine out to the size of 32x37x7 meters, if I did the math right (adding a segment in either direction adds 4 to that direction, but adding to one direction increases every engine's power by 1200, while adding a segment to the other direction adds 2 more engines). So assuming the calculation is right (I haven't actually tested out something above a 5 segment x 5 segment one), the resulting engine would get just over 20 PPBB and generate a total of 165800 power (one of the engines generates 200 more then the rest, as with killshoot's original kitsune-inspired make).

Well, I suppose if you happen to have a boat that is over 40 meters wide, you might be able to do that. And to be fair, if you are the sort of person who builds boats that large, you probably WANT to show off some ludicrously sized mess of pipes to anyone who dares inspect it anyway.
Your giant expensive powerful warship of doom can be destroyed by dropping an anvil on it. One day, I will finally have enough engines to actually make a ship without stopping to make more engines.

Hi there,

I am currently building a laser-focused dreadnought. While my Steam engine design produces the power I need, it's extremely hungry for materials, and I need a more efficient engine. Can you make a recommendation? The ship wants 76,800 Power for the weapons, and I want to have at least a 100K Power engine to satisfy shielding and propulsion.

In case you are wondering what I'm using for my BB, well...
I stuck it to your raft. Here are the stats:

Name: Kinesis Mass Driver
Power Creation: 147324.2
PPBB: 134.54
PPM/s (Power per Material per second): 2023.8
Mat usage: 72.8 per second

I omitted the empty space in the PPBB calculation as you could, well, add stuff like electric engines. I think I might do that to aid my BB engine.

Attached Files
.blueprint   Unified_Engine_Raft_2_ToastEdit.blueprint (Size: 782.45 KB / Downloads: 13)

Inserting my "Thank you" here to find it later. Smile
From the Depths english playlist starts here, before that it's hungarian:
https://youtu.be/Ltdx0yVI9cA?list=PLImar...ZokVtdBa73
MULTIPLAYER!

[Image: 6yFiDvF.jpg]

although this thread are all about engine. but you can make it easier for other people who want to test engine with RPM control.

like this set.(attached BP)

i usually use it for test my engine. just need a complex controller to control those ACB.

Attached Files
.blueprint   engine controller.blueprint (Size: 33.89 KB / Downloads: 8)

T3 engines now almost maximized. One thing left is to build extendable in three directions monster engine.
Was building my new 19000 PPF 8.8 PPBB 13x6x7 engine and this happened.
[Image: xtTqUMJ.jpg]
If I place turbo like on picture, it counts as connected to cylinder.Angry
All side of turbo where the input is counting as attachment.
This engine had such a potential.

There is a 3-direction extendable engine for the T4s. I don't think its possible with T3 though (at least, not using the "stacked flats" setup of the current best ones).

The T4 one's calculation basically 800X*Y*Z/(5X+1)/(4Y+1)/(4Z+2) where X, Y, and Z are the number of segments of any given direction. As is, it takes a large engine to get over 8 PPBB. However, if we were to get rid of the front and rear end (i.e. what you did with the old Kitsune to shorten it a bit), then the Z part becomes just (4Z) and even a 2x2x2 segment engine would break 8 PPBB. Well, one of the dimensions might need to be 3 depending on whether this sacrifices a piston or something to make room for piping. Well, as its size increases to infinity, the +1, +1, and +2 become irrelevant, so the "infinite size engine" would come to 10 PPBB, but that is of course impossible to actually do.

That glitch is exactly what happened to one of my engines. I put it on the raft, actually. Its over near the boundary between the T3/4 engine area and the T5s. A few of its turbos are painted red on one side (indicating which turbos had the issue) and it has an angry sign on it. It would also have gotten to the 8 mark potentially. The one on the raft (1-long end and 1-long start segment, along with a pair of 3-long segments for a total length of 8m) got to 7.6ish I believe. Like most engines that have "endcaps" like that, the PPBB will increase a good bit as it becomes longer and adding more segments would indeed take it over 8 PPBB.

Next to it is a compromise version that extended the segment size to be 1 longer (yet was somehow HARDER to pipe), but it is as noted a compromise.

Edit: On a side note, the 3D-extendable T4 was interesting. It came about when I tried to design an engine, starting with extendable turbos and pipes and not actually having any cylinders or other stuff put down. The end result was an engine that is effectively the exact opposite of a normal engine (the innermost part of the engine is turbos and pipes, then carbs, then cylinders, and crankshafts are at the far corners instead of the center)

Edit again: I think I have a good one for T4. As an added bonus, its actually pretty compact too. A 19x6x5 engine (3 segments including start and end ones comes to 8.42 PPBB from initial calculations for that engine (its basically such that the first segment would be 7 long, but each one after that is 6 due to a staggered overlap thing it has going, so longer would improve it too).

Its basically the same core as used by the foxtrot with cylinders removed and staggered a bit.

More importantly though, the test piping I set up on it only uses 5 of its 6 height, and since the crankshafts are at the top and bottom I could potentially stack it on top of itself by overlaying the engine shafts. Which should make PPBBs over 9 viable. Naturally, that variant would be taller, but a compact 8 PPBB with larger 9 PPBB engine is still pretty sweet.
Your giant expensive powerful warship of doom can be destroyed by dropping an anvil on it. One day, I will finally have enough engines to actually make a ship without stopping to make more engines.

...Aaaand I've been self-nerd-sniped by engines again. Looks like the day in my signature is still a ways off.

Edit: Good news! New T4 engines! One gets a nice 8.4ish PPBB, the other gets a nice 9.18!

Sadly, the 2-way extendable one seems to cause issues for some reason. Maybe the pipes are too long? Whatever the case, I put the "true" version of the new Everest on the new Secondary Raft, and put a 2-segment tall version on the main raft for now.

If I (or a game update) fixes the true version, I'll swap it into the main raft, but until then you can see it on the secondary raft if you want. I also moved the 3-way-extendable engine there since it is now inferior to the new T4s, but is still really cool.

Edit 2:
Be aware that the issues that follow the extendable version (at least if you make it 3x3 segments or more) may not show themselves immediately, and may only crop up later after you load in a vessel with the completed engine in it. It may be fine if its the only engine on the ship or something, but it doesn't seem to like sharing a raft with a whole bunch of other engines.

Technically, the PPBB of the one on the main raft might increase slightly (less then 0.1 PPBB) if I used 3x2 pieces instead of 2x3 ones and then flipped it on its face. I may do that sometime. But it might reduce lower RPM efficiency a bit so maybe the current one is really better.

Edit 3: I've now put it on steam too, so that may improve how many people can find these engines.

Added a new T5 engine. It is based on the same frame as the T4 engines I added last time. It comes in at a good 3.4+ PPBB, which is the best T5 engine yet. Moved an interesting but now obsolete T5 over to the secondary raft.

If you were to make it 2-way extendable, you should be able to get it to 3.789. I didn't actually go and make the 2-way extendable version though, since it may run into the same issues that the T4 from earlier did.

Just wanted to say thanks for all the great work on all the great engines to all of you! Also, any chance of some 4-block-high engines any time soon? I frequently build ships with 4-block-high internal spaces and then find myself coming up short on a powerful, efficient engine to shove in there.

For that, you can try the mini-blueline over next to the Blue Line. The PPBB is a bit lower than a blue-line, but it is only 4 blocks tall. If you set a bunch of them sideways, you can also modify them slightly so that their exhaust pipes into the next one in a row to improve the lower RPM efficiency of the ones down the line (basically, slap a corner pipe on the exhaust turbo and change a corner pipe on the next engine to a corner junction pipe).

I'll have to look into trying some more 4-talls sometime though (at least, to see if I can throw together a decent T1. I suspect its a fairly common build height for engine rooms due to also being 1 beam tall.)

Oh, right. I also still need to put those actually-decent steam engines people have mentioned on the thing too, don't I? Kind of busy at present, but I'll see if I have enough free time in the next week at least.