Not a member yet? Why not Sign up today
Create an account  

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Simple Weapons Rebalance Part 2

This is a very simple request: can we get another across the board buff to simple weapons to compensate for the defensive buff received with 2.0 block changes?

Long Version:
Before the much anticipated 2.0 re-balance simple weapons got a graphical, acoustic, and stat overhaul that made them look cool, sound cool, and actually made them effective weapons. Little autocannon emplacements popped up all over the place on ships that would have *never* even considered them due to how laughably bad they were and even some ships using only simple weapons appeared in serious tournaments.

2.0 undid the effectiveness part of this overhaul. Simple weapons, in keeping with the spirit of their last overhaul, should get a stat buff to once again bring them to the point where they can at least destroy wooden craft and threaten alloy/steel (single layer) craft when massed. If simple weapons are actually intended to be used as weapons, especially for new players, then they *Must* be effective in this role.

I'll also take the time to specifically call for a buff of simple lasers back to their pre-nerf values. Now that they act exactly like lasers and can be countered with smoke and shields there is no reason that they should struggle to do meaningful damage to even wooden craft. A laser should feel like a laser, not a flashlight.
-Do not bring forth an argument as fact that can be disproven with a 10 minute Google search.

simple laser pre nerf where EXTRAORDINARILY unbalanced.

the real issue with simple weapons is that you can have gazilion of them for a low price and low ammo usage and low block count, making them ridiculously resiliant to damage by the current game mechanics.

that said I'd like them to be a little better too, because not everything need to be a massive hulking monster to work and currently larger ships are exponentially more effective, which is annoying.
gets high on math

(2018-05-20, 10:36 AM)LoSboccacc Wrote: simple laser pre nerf where EXTRAORDINARILY unbalanced.

the real issue with simple weapons is that you can have gazilion of them for a low price and low ammo usage and low block count, making them ridiculously resiliant to damage by the current game mechanics.

that said I'd like them to be a little better too, because not everything need to be a massive hulking monster to work and currently larger ships are exponentially more effective, which is annoying.

true on all points, though if the gazillion low cost weapons can't damage you what's the point?

i'll also concede that pe-nerf simple lasers were extraordinarily powerful but I feel they filled an important niche: They offered fighters the ability to threaten battleships. By extension they (or a weapon like them *prays for missile rework ah-la draba's*) made carriers viable.
-Do not bring forth an argument as fact that can be disproven with a 10 minute Google search.

My experience in AotE says that autocannons do not need a buff. I fear the TG autocannon fliers more than I fear my mother in law.
Procrastination level is over 9000

My experience is mainly with autocannons and I agree with Eagle. I don't think these need a buff all.
For me SE LC tournament I've had to limit their number and range to make APS based AA guns competitive.
primum non nocere

perhaps you can give me some examples? my experience with it begins and ends with my starter craft, which are 1m steel. and with my larger ships vs things like dusters I just wasn't seeing appreciable damage even with double digit numbers of cannons.

Simple weapons excel against small targets in close range battles. It's only logical they fail to do any significant damage against a large target. Perhaps the cannon could receive buff, but the simple laser and autocannon are fine imo.
Procrastination level is over 9000

Simple lasers have the same stats they had before they were turned into lasers. The 10 AP they have matters now, that's all - maybe they could get a little more AP, but massed simple lasers can be horrendous as is, for a very low cost.

Give simple ACs a bit more muzzle velocity, perhaps.
Poke my boat! mostly pre-2.0 learning & catalogue thread - Update: Heavy & light tanks 07/04/18 for 2.1. 6 ships made 2.0 aware. No more post-processing! finally! but now I can't read the forum.

I agree with Richard, combined with a reduced projectile existence time to keep range roughly the same and reduce bullet cap impact from large numbers(which renders ACs less effective)
A force as voracious as time itself.
A void as cryptic as reality itself.
An enigma as vexing as life itself.
[Image: HjaVgvK.jpg]

(2018-06-02, 06:08 AM)Richard Dastardly Wrote: Simple lasers have the same stats they had before they were turned into lasers. The 10 AP they have matters now, that's all - maybe they could get a little more AP, but massed simple lasers can be horrendous as is, for a very low cost.

Give simple ACs a bit more muzzle velocity, perhaps.

They actually don't, they received a massive damage nerf, you can test it against glass, their stated DPS is way off. They'll kill 1 wood beam and change per shot assuming they manage to paint the target for the full duration, which is usually not the case. As a result they just gently toast most targets.

Sure massed simple lasers can be marginally effective, but now we have normal laser counters that should more than suffice against simple laser spam on the silly-extreme end. on the normal end where people are building quad mounts and such they're no longer worth the deck space, just like before.