Not a member yet? Why not Sign up today
Create an account  

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Any good cannon designs?

I'm fairly new to from the depths and only recently figured out how to make things float, and how missiles work. However, I have noticed how terrible missiles are a close range, and that simple weapons don't do much to anything non-wooden.

I have worked out how custom cannons work, but can't get a good design to use. Does anyone have an idea?

That is a very vague question you are asking. The beauty of Custom Cannons is that they can be tailored for a variety of purposes, or a wide scale of budgets.
It all comes down to what you want from the cannon. I'll give an example.

Let's make a Main Gun for a medium-sized ship. Start with a precision turret that is going to be flush with the deck. Do mirror, as we are going to have a couple of guns there. Designate about 13x13 square centered on the pivot point. Now go to the very back of the turret, and place a firing piece. This way most of the barrel will be hidden in, and protected by, the turret body. Immediately in front of the firing piece place one elevation barrel. That will give the gun an elevation of up to 80 degrees. From there place 10 motorized barrels and 10 recoil barrels (you can alternate between the two, or place first motorized, then recoil for aesthetics). That will give us a max muzzle speed gun. Then, from the firing piece, run a couple rows of connectors with at least 2 space between the rows. Connect 5-6 gauge increases to those, and a fair chunk of autoloaders. Connect ammo boxes to the loaders, as many as you can fit.
An important consideration is to keep the components of the two mirrored guns from interacting with each other, so it's best if there is a wall between the two halves.
All along, you can move the cursor to the firing piece to see the gun stats. You are aiming to have fire rate of about 1 (that is 1 per second).
Add a few AP boxes so that the AP value of the gun (check on the firing piece) is above 7. That lets the bullets penetrate alloy walls.
Add a few Explosive boxes until you are satisfied with the amount of explosive damage.
Test the turret.
Add extra ammo boxes in the remaining spaces, for sustained fire (they need to be connected, but not necessarily through loaders).
Cover the turret. Wood for start of campaign, metal for later in campaign, alloy for planes, shields to taste.

It makes most sense to create a large-ish raft in Designer, put some ammo barrels on it, a few ammo processors, then experiment with gun designs and turrets until you are happy with the result. If you build a particularly amazing turret, you can always save it as a subobject then place it in Campaign on whatever base you want.

As far as barrels go
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/fi...=350560809

(2014-12-20, 10:13 PM)reggubha Wrote: That is a very vague question you are asking. The beauty of Custom Cannons is that they can be tailored for a variety of purposes, or a wide scale of budgets.
It all comes down to what you want from the cannon. I'll give an example.

Let's make a Main Gun for a medium-sized ship. Start with a precision turret that is going to be flush with the deck. Do mirror, as we are going to have a couple of guns there. Designate about 13x13 square centered on the pivot point. Now go to the very back of the turret, and place a firing piece. This way most of the barrel will be hidden in, and protected by, the turret body. Immediately in front of the firing piece place one elevation barrel. That will give the gun an elevation of up to 80 degrees. From there place 10 motorized barrels and 10 recoil barrels (you can alternate between the two, or place first motorized, then recoil for aesthetics). That will give us a max muzzle speed gun. Then, from the firing piece, run a couple rows of connectors with at least 2 space between the rows. Connect 5-6 gauge increases to those, and a fair chunk of autoloaders. Connect ammo boxes to the loaders, as many as you can fit.
An important consideration is to keep the components of the two mirrored guns from interacting with each other, so it's best if there is a wall between the two halves.
All along, you can move the cursor to the firing piece to see the gun stats. You are aiming to have fire rate of about 1 (that is 1 per second).
Add a few AP boxes so that the AP value of the gun (check on the firing piece) is above 7. That lets the bullets penetrate alloy walls.
Add a few Explosive boxes until you are satisfied with the amount of explosive damage.
Test the turret.
Add extra ammo boxes in the remaining spaces, for sustained fire (they need to be connected, but not necessarily through loaders).
Cover the turret. Wood for start of campaign, metal for later in campaign, alloy for planes, shields to taste.

It makes most sense to create a large-ish raft in Designer, put some ammo barrels on it, a few ammo processors, then experiment with gun designs and turrets until you are happy with the result. If you build a particularly amazing turret, you can always save it as a subobject then place it in Campaign on whatever base you want.

Thank you for the guide, I used a few of the techniques and the general design for cannon building. All of my ships are now much more effective, though more expensive. Smile