Not a member yet? Why not Sign up today
Create an account  

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Missile overhaul suggestions

I was thinking of 4-way splitter to the next lowest size, where the new missile sizes are (presumably) 2x, 1x, and 1/4x. This means you could do 4 or 16 mirv in the new 2x sized missile, and 4x small-missiles in the current sized missiles.

The 1-4 splitters would act as a decoupling block, so when a condition is met (out of fuel, enemy proximity, time), the new, smaller, missiles would separate off from the original. The smaller missiles don't have to be rendered while the larger missile is in flight, they can probably be created like bullet fragments at the point of decoupling.

Since this isn't KSP, it's probably best to keep it simple, so I was thinking that the missile would still use the current segments, and each sub-missile would just be 4x the same missile, ie:
[thruster][fins][fuel][fuel][1-4 start][thruster][fuel][warhead][ir seeker][1-4 end][radar seeker]
And the bits between [1-4 start] and [1-4] end would just spawn 4 of that missile.

I also still like the idea of a 1-1 decoupling block so you can make multi-stage rockets. The last picture is a concept of a missile that decouples a torpedo. The benefit here being that you would lose the dead weight of the missile components, so the torpedo can move faster & turn better.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

I'm a bit late to the party, but I've got some thoughts that I haven't seen brought up here.

Vectored Thrust module: Provides a huge boost in agility compared to fins, but consumes some of the missile's fuel to function.
Ion Thruster: For space missiles.
Variable/Short Range/Torpedo Propeller: Use "Jet Thruster" and "Torpedo Propeller," give all thrusters the variable thrust slider as well as the short-range thruster option to delay thrust startup.
HEAT/HESH Warhead: To better penetrate thick hull armor.
Laser Designator Receiver: Allow a laser designator to still function through smoke, but with a greatly increased error radius, rather than being completely disabled.
Missile Interceptor: Add a setting for "Number of other missile interceptors which can be locked onto the same target before this missile chooses a different one."

I've been playing a game called Dreadnought for some time now, and I feel the missiles in there is what we need in here.

All differences aside, the rough mechanic goes somewhere like this: There is a scale with two ends. Either your missile/torpedo has
- Huge damage, but aweful speed and turning radius, or
- Huge speed and turning radius, but mediocre damage.

I feel that we need to get more powerful missiles, but that the trade-offs are less pronounced than they should be. I think we should (at least with the 2x2 missiles) be able to pump out huge damage, but at the cost of a slow missile speed.
I also feel we should be able to build fast interceptor missiles, but which do far less damage.

The FtD missiles just feel like they're all the same.
Procrastination level is over 9000

Recycling ideas I've had before with this one:

Guidance:
Wire guidance requiring a module on the missile and a "reel" on the first module space on the gantry. An optical guidance system is also required to be attached to the missile launcher. This means that the missile will have 2 modules in total taken up on the gantry and a required aiming component attached on the missile. Fixed launcher means keeping the craft aimed at target, or a turret so it can aim independently. I think it would also require that the launcher only fires one missile at a time (even if a 4 tube small missile or multi launcher medium missile).
Semi Active Radar seeker. Requires the fire control radar attached to AI and aiming in the direction (or 4 radars each covering 90 degrees). As previously mentioned it leans heavily on the detection system of the craft for lock on.
Optical guidance using initial snap shot detection from optical sensors on craft. Focus is on the visual detection of the target it is fired at. Smoke would hinder accuracy and if the craft moves out of view it loses it's lock.

Warhead:
HE warhead change. No more Frag warheads. Instead HE warheads always disperse some amount of frag damage (being able to direct cones of frag replaced by HEAT and flak)
Dispenser with settings to deploy a number of submunitions. Could be set to HE's, Frag or Mines. All smaller less powerful of full warheads. Pattern dispersion settings included.
Hardened Penetration HE less powerful than normal HE but allows greater AP before the penetration fuse sets off the HE (would need a penetration setting module or include it in warhead?)
Flechette warhead with a setting to fire AP darts close to the target. This would replace the Frag warhead and would not have a setting for cone degrees. Smaller targets may not get hit by all the darts.
HEAT as mentioned before. Half of the HEAT module is the shaped cone and the other half the HE behind it. Can operate with just this or be enhanced by one more HE (limit) further HE modules would need to go behind other HEAT modules (creating tandem HEAT missiles for defeat of ERA)

Propulsion:
Scramjet module that burns through fuel even faster but over short distances allows for a decent increase in speed. Agility of the missile would not be as good as a slower missile.
Mini Jet that allows for lower speed with longer cruise time allowing cruise missiles to reach out to 5 km (or more with modded distances?). Slow propulsion, easier target.
Booster that must go on the back of the missile and allows a missile to be fired out several hundred meters towards its target and get it up to speed before it drops off and the main propulsion takes over. Could get SAM's, AMM's or cruise missiles to get up out of the craft faster while allowing a little more range. Adds some cost to the missile and takes up at least one module.

Maneuvering:
Lateral Thruster that uses fuel in micro thrust nozzles to turn the missile. Can easily help turn a missile with 1-turn right out of launcher as well as more agility in turns. Range may be extremely limited for missile. Likely best for AMM's or short range SAM's.
Fold Out Wings that allow greater range but slow speeds. Good for cruise missiles. Limited agility.
Brake Fins (can't think of another name now) that slows down a bomb dramatically after release. Bombs could be dropped closer over a target but allow the craft to get away before impact.

Other Components:
Mantlet Launch Pad is a launch pad that can aim up and down. Working best on a turret to allow the missiles to rotate to aim up as the turret aims around.
Armored Deck Hatch that allows better protection at expense of materials, module space taken up and time to open hatch before launch (about a second)
Fire Control Radar for use with semi-active missile systems.
Optical System for launchers firing wire guided missiles. Attached to missile system. Limits launcher to one missile at a time.
Standoff Fuse that extends after launch 1 to 2 meters (settings?). When the tip itself hits the surface it sets off the warhead (HEAT, HE, etc) allowing control of damage to exterior or making sure HE warheads go off with more frag dispersion to surrounding area.
Tube Gantry with a cylindrical launchpad piece. Missile gauge update will likely come with box launchers and rail launchers, this would add tube launchers. Small missiles would come in quad packs with 4 tubes.
Fire Control System with settings to control conditions of launch. Must be attached to the missile system. Settings for how many missiles per target. (Perhaps some sort of control over AMM's so that they are not fired by ACB's which indiscriminately fire the whole salvo)

[Image: WpE9Qxnh.jpg]
My DeviantArt Page Full of Shenanigans
______________________________________________________________________________________________________
[Image: ljhYQd1l.jpg]

pigeon guidance for 2*2 missiles. Stretch goal

Loving the rest
Imperium Age of Sail Campaign Custom Campaign Dev Idea

Check it out here!

- The Best Cello Concerto of all time - No, It's not Elgar's

(2018-06-28, 08:48 PM)Carolus Magnus Wrote: pigeon guidance for 2*2 missiles. Stretch goal

Loving the rest

Need to add pigeon cages though. Speeds up reloading of pigeon guided munitions Wink
My DeviantArt Page Full of Shenanigans
______________________________________________________________________________________________________
[Image: ljhYQd1l.jpg]

Some neat ideas, a bit of a 'pro-tip' though;

Start with the idea of what you want to achieve, write it down. Then think about how to achieve it.

Most people think of the possibilities they can do without thought of concequence to how that will end up in gameplay so quite often you end up not making a dent on gameplay/meta or you just move around expand the options which invariably leads to dead end builds (every other APS shell other than HESH springs to mind)... or you end up making it a horrible ungainly beast that started out as a cool idea but threw everything else out(again think of shields vs velocity and HESH shells).

Its a simple thing but outlining your goal first and then working towards it by checking each thing will achieve it and allows you to modify it while your creating stuff to get what you want.

(2018-06-28, 08:48 PM)Carolus Magnus Wrote: pigeon guidance for 2*2 missiles. Stretch goal

Loving the rest

Pidgeons are small. Pidgeon guidance would fit quite comfortably in 1x1 missiles, and potentially even 0.5x0.5 missiles!
Pidgeon guidance is basically really convoluted optical guidance, though.

(2018-07-02, 12:26 AM)BioPhoenix Wrote:

Loving the rest

Pidgeons are small. Pidgeon guidance would fit quite comfortably in 1x1 missiles, and potentially even 0.5x0.5 missiles!
Yeah... but due to the weight for some missile parts, you might need multiple pigeons to lift just one section.

If you are talking about using a pigeon to steer the missile and not propel it, then we could just take out the pigeon brain and plug it up to a computer like on ships, to save space and lose the need for any sort of cage. Big Grin
[Image: JRbbeB2m.png][Image: kT4DxcMm.png]
All hail the Queen!

(2018-07-02, 01:58 AM)XenoDragon Wrote:
(2018-07-02, 12:26 AM)BioPhoenix Wrote:

Loving the rest

Yeah... but due to the weight for some missile parts, you might need multiple pigeons to lift just one section.

If you are talking about using a pigeon to steer the missile and not propel it, then we could just take out the pigeon brain and plug it up to a computer like on ships, to save space and lose the need for any sort of cage. Big Grin

Yeah, that was a thing.
Thematically, it would clearly be better to use seagulls as the alternate missile thrust/lift source, though!