Not a member yet? Why not Sign up today
Create an account  

• 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average

FTD Roadmap for the next few months

Hi all,

I'm sharing with you the roadmap for FTD for the next few months.

There are a number of strands to this:

1) Graphics: we're updating FTD to the new Physically Based Rendering shaders and materials that unity supports. We've automated the pipeline that takes Filter Forge filters and produces the diffuse, height, normal, roughness, ambient occlusion and metallic maps. We've automated the texture atlasing of these little textures into big textures. We've automated the import into the game build. This has taken a little while and it will probably be another few weeks before we start to see PBR shaders being pumped out into the stable branch.

2) Codebase: I'm finally at the point where I'm happy to merge the Forgotten Shores codebase with From The Depths. The first thing that is going to happen is that the new "Environment.dll" code from Forgotten Shores is being ported into From The Depths. This brings a new water system which is more beautiful, stretches out to the horizon, supports circular planets, has increased support for "air pump spaces", and, most importantly, supports huge storm swells. The Environment.dll also brings in with it a refined version of the "sky dome" . After the environment.dll has been linked up the next phase is to use Ui.dll to access the improved UI of Forgotten Shores. This UI has moveable, resizeable windows, a clean precise look, supports multiple windows open at once, and most importantly when you type numbers into the boxes next to the sliders it works as expected. Remapping the FTD Ui to the new UI will take some time. Whilst these codebase changes are on going mods are going to break but hopefully it won't be too hard get them working again after each release. This change will also bring in the new explosion visual effects which are similar to the fancy muzzle flash effects in FTD at the moment. The new UI also supports richer tooltips with bars, multiple sections etc.

3) Content. Glaydon is continuing to add new content. The primary focus at the moment is missile gauges. The jumping off point for this is the super mod that was made for this. More work to finalise the steam engines is also planned. In Dev Test right now there is a bunch of ACB improvements amongst other things. The new shaders for blocks support "cut aways" in the vehicle and illumination of blocks in up to 8 different colors which is useful for highlighting issues with blocks, or illuminating all blocks in a multi-block assembly. He'll be adding code to make use of these new shader features soon.
Reviewed FtD on steam yet? It's the #1 thing you can do to help FtD (and future games by Brilliant Skies!), so please take the time!
Bug tracker - view, "upvote", comment on and add all bugs here.
Request tracker - request new features here
support - private portal to service desk

Yes!
New shiny things!!!

Also, ETA on when we can playtest FS?
(yes I know that your ETA's are crap but hey Big Grin)
There is always a weak-spot if you search Hard enough.

If you fire enough AP at that shield, at some point you're going to come through.

There is no "best" I wouldn't even say there is anything universally good, Good is subjective, I find everything bad even if it's in theory good against this or that.

Nice new things, especially the visual updates!
I endorse this product and/or service.

Speaking of improved visuals, will the new "Environment.dll" have an impact on the overall performance?
Quote:What's Shazbot? Shazbot is the future way to say pasta.
-unknown Sandraker

(2018-04-17, 04:46 PM)Avalange Wrote: Nice new things, especially the visual updates!
I endorse this product and/or service.

Speaking of improved visuals, will the new "Environment.dll" have an impact on the overall performance?

I'm not sure actually. The new water is fancy but it's also quite efficient in the way it is done. The sky changes won't affect performance.
Reviewed FtD on steam yet? It's the #1 thing you can do to help FtD (and future games by Brilliant Skies!), so please take the time!

(2018-04-17, 04:31 PM)Skyer Wrote: Yes!
New shiny things!!!

Also, ETA on when we can playtest FS?
(yes I know that your ETA's are crap but hey Big Grin)

Hmm nah I wouldn't like to say. I honestly don't think there is that much left to do but when I'm updating FTD I'm not finishing FS and visa versa... and FTD needs some love to get the latest dev test into stable so that's my priority at the moment. The main reason for including the Environment.dll at this stage is it controls the lighting of the game in a more manageable way than FTD did and to make best use of the new PBR shaders you need the lighting to be correct.

Good to hear mention of missile gauges. I'm also interested by your comment of the possibility of rounded oceans. I am glad to see the mention of coloring systems like in one of Gladyon's mods. It is something which will really help out building for newbies and the experienced alike.

I would love to see strategic AI at some point soon, though it will take a lot of work.

Hopefully the coding and future changes will improve game performance, since that is one of my main problems until I actually get a good PC.
(2017-04-20, 06:54 PM)Hikari Wrote: I made something that has an impact of a type 1a supernova. The projectile already breaks laws of physics by going way past the speed of light.

2000mm HE Dakka Enthusiast

Great stuff, more stuff for the designer.

Mainly the missile gauges, thats what i am hyped for.

The "supports circular planets" means we can get actually get round planets for the editor ? That would be awesome Big Grin No more bricks and boxy playing fields ?

(2018-04-17, 05:52 PM)MizarLuke Wrote: I would love to see strategic AI at some point soon, though it will take a lot of work.

Hopefully the coding and future changes will improve game performance, since that is one of my main problems until I actually get a good PC.

Agreed!

The new water and shader sound a bit keenish for me, but you're the dev, you know what makes the performance better than me, a mere player. I'm sure you don't want to nomansky us. Smile

On strategic AI it was great to see two enemy factions mete out agression on eachother while I hid. Big Grin Also sometimes I first fight already damaged enemies, so there must be something going on faction-war wise.

Diplomacy could be a bit better, but I'm satisfied with switching the old one back in my Neter.

Out of curiosity: a dedicated server (linux) which stops when no player is on would make multiplayer upgrade easier?

I am also waiting this missile gauge thingy - would it be hard to take down a slow firing big one, and what would a million tiny missile do inside a flak explosion? Wink
From the Depths english playlist starts here, before that it's hungarian:
https://youtu.be/Ltdx0yVI9cA?list=PLImar...ZokVtdBa73
MULTIPLAYER!

[Image: 6yFiDvF.jpg]

I hope the new textures and shaders wont make the performance worse. Nice to see new updates on the forum about whats going on. Hope your plans will be succesful! Smile

(2018-04-17, 06:41 PM)Normal69 Wrote: -snip-
On strategic AI it was great to see two enemy factions mete out agression on eachother while I hid. Big Grin Also sometimes I first fight already damaged enemies, so there must be something going on faction-war wise.
-snip-

Enemy factions do NOT currently fight each other. I believe that the damage taken is from changes to old designs being implemented and already existing fleets retrofitting but not repairing or something like that. I think it is a bug of some sort, but mostly unimportant. It may have been fixed, haven't noticed it in a while.
(2017-04-20, 06:54 PM)Hikari Wrote: I made something that has an impact of a type 1a supernova. The projectile already breaks laws of physics by going way past the speed of light.

2000mm HE Dakka Enthusiast